Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 08:44 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
You just piqued my interest and I took a few minutes to take a look online at both the 23 Telluride and Palisade. I personally like the looks of Palisade more so spent more time focused there and compared the interior dimensions and specs from Car & Driver's website on my 2010 LX 570. I am absolutely shocked - the Palisade (and I assume the Telluride) actually have more room in almost every category than our LX. The 2nd row has 8 extra inches of legroom! Shoulder room, head room, and hip room are very similar and in most cases in favor of the Palisade. Palisade has 10% more cargo space behind 2nd row than the LX. This is crazy to me. I've been contemplating something different for us - my requirements are 2nd row captains chairs, a more usable 3rd row, and more cargo room when 3rd row is not in use. I would have never even thought to look at these - thought I was going to be looking at Tahoe/Yukon, but this is eye opening. I'm gonna hit a dealership in coming weeks and really take a look. It would drive way better than the LX, get 50% plus better gas mileage, and not "require" premium gas.
LX is very strange when it comes to legroom. At some point we had some interest in it because my X5's 2nd row leg room is tight. I checked out the LX and found that its second row legroom sits between GX and RX. RX is comfortable. GX while being smallest is still comfortable somehow. Must be its higher roof. So LX is probably comfortable too. But very strange for its space and it being a full size SUV. What's more interesting is the GLE, being midsize, has more 2nd legroom than all of them.
I've had our LX for 7 years now and I honestly don't know that I've ever felt like I enjoy driving it around town. I do like it on a road trip though. I bought this because we needed more space than our GX and because I love the legendary reliability history of the LX and Land Cruiser. It has been a great vehicle for us, but I would not classify it as a "hoot to drive".
When I say the Palisade would drive better than the LX, I'm saying that from a perspective of wanting something quiet and luxurious. I don't want or need a true truck feeling experience - I've literally never taken the LX off road other than driving on the beach in the Outer Banks and areas of FL.
You are not wrong. Many feel same way. GX/LX are great but also very unique IMO.

Last edited by 1111GS; 01-23-23 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 08:58 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I've had our LX for 7 years now and I honestly don't know that I've ever felt like I enjoy driving it around town. I do like it on a road trip though. I bought this because we needed more space than our GX and because I love the legendary reliability history of the LX and Land Cruiser. It has been a great vehicle for us, but I would not classify it as a "hoot to drive".

When I say the Palisade would drive better than the LX, I'm saying that from a perspective of wanting something quiet and luxurious. I don't want or need a true truck feeling experience - I've literally never taken the LX off road other than driving on the beach in the Outer Banks and areas of FL.
I get it. It's not for everyone. To me it's just a hoot because of the massive engine and king of road, invincible feeling it gives you because of its capabilities.

I truly enjoy driving it. But yes ultimately it sounds like a crossover is better for you. They drive like cars.
Old 01-23-23, 09:46 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

You just piqued my interest and I took a few minutes to take a look online at both the 23 Telluride and Palisade. I personally like the looks of Palisade more so spent more time focused there and compared the interior dimensions and specs from Car & Driver's website on my 2010 LX 570. I am absolutely shocked - the Palisade (and I assume the Telluride) actually have more room in almost every category than our LX. The 2nd row has 8 extra inches of legroom! Shoulder room, head room, and hip room are very similar and in most cases in favor of the Palisade. Palisade has 10% more cargo space behind 2nd row than the LX. This is crazy to me. I've been contemplating something different for us - my requirements are 2nd row captains chairs, a more usable 3rd row, and more cargo room when 3rd row is not in use. I would have never even thought to look at these - thought I was going to be looking at Tahoe/Yukon, but this is eye opening. I'm gonna hit a dealership in coming weeks and really take a look. It would drive way better than the LX, get 50% plus better gas mileage, and not "require" premium gas.
Palisade/Telluride are definitely tops when it comes to interior space. They basically top most of the vehicles in their class and come close to Tahoe in interior space. Even if you look at a Grand Cherokee L which is almost five inches longer, the twins have more second and third row space.
Old 01-23-23, 10:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Palisade/Telluride are definitely tops when it comes to interior space. They basically top most of the vehicles in their class and come close to Tahoe in interior space. Even if you look at a Grand Cherokee L which is almost five inches longer, the twins have more second and third row space.
Really interesting. I'm excited to go see one and take it for a drive. I do like the driving position of the LX sitting up higher than what I imagine the Palisade will feel like. But really the goal is to have something with more usable space, 2nd row captains chairs, and a more luxurious ride that feels less laborious around town.
Old 01-23-23, 11:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Can you compare vehicles side by side on the C&D website? You used to be able to do it there, but I haven't been able to find it for a while. Thanks for any information.
Old 01-23-23, 11:16 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My GOD these are even uglier in person.

Old 01-23-23, 11:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the EQE looks better than the EQS and really don't find either to be ugly. I get the hate though, the lozenge shape is polarizing to say the least.

Old 01-23-23, 11:36 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

As a car, it reminds me the Prius. As for the cost, yeah, it looks really ugly IMO.
Old 01-23-23, 11:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Can you compare vehicles side by side on the C&D website? You used to be able to do it there, but I haven't been able to find it for a while. Thanks for any information.
Not sure, I was on the Palisade site under the dimensions and specs and had a separate tab open in my browser of C&D showing my LX570.
Old 01-23-23, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I get it. It's not for everyone. To me it's just a hoot because of the massive engine and king of road, invincible feeling it gives you because of its capabilities.

I truly enjoy driving it. But yes ultimately it sounds like a crossover is better for you. They drive like cars.
Toyota and Lexus body on frame SUV models are not for everyone. I get it. IMO, they are superb second vehicles that compliment a sedan or smaller SUV. They need big engines. Full time 4WD. LOW rear end gearing. And fewer speeds than more in the transmission part. Lexus messed up the Land Cruiser and LX by adding the 8 speed and now the LX has 10 speeds and V6 turbo. To me...that is just not good enough. I have always admired the Land Cruiser and LX for not be as massive as a Tahoe or Sequoia. There is something to be said about the 7/8th size of the LC and LX. If cargo space is the end all factor, then don't get a LX. My new 4Runner 88.8 cubic feet of cargo space. It is massive inside, the thing that is great is that it has a small foot print for the size. If Palisade is what someone wants...go for it, its FWD transverse based.....good luck, my sister and bother own the twins, they love them very very much.
Old 01-23-23, 12:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

A Palisade couldn’t be any different than an LX in just about any/every way, lol.

But it sounds like a competent crossover is what OP wants. Palisades are great.
Old 01-23-23, 12:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

After driving numerous Yukon Denalis and Escalades at this point you couldn't convince me to get an LX. Hats off to GM, they really made these huge SUVs dance with a ride/handling combo unmatched anywhere else in the class. The Grand Wagoneer is my second favorite but GM has the clear lead. Lexus of course likely has the longevity play here but that doesn't mean much to me.
Old 01-23-23, 12:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

They really are amazing. They are about the same size as a Highlander outside, but SO much bigger inside. I don't know how they do it.

They drive great too, very premium, ride nice and they're quiet. A step above the typical 3 row crossover for sure.

Thats how I feel about it and other big BOF SUVs. Great for a trip, but tiring to drive around town everyday...
Old 01-24-23, 03:26 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
After driving numerous Yukon Denalis and Escalades at this point you couldn't convince me to get an LX. Hats off to GM, they really made these huge SUVs dance with a ride/handling combo unmatched anywhere else in the class. The Grand Wagoneer is my second favorite but GM has the clear lead. Lexus of course likely has the longevity play here but that doesn't mean much to me.
You are really making me want to drive one. lol

Yukon or Escalade, both sound nice.
Old 01-24-23, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Even the Suburban I had in FL last year drove remarkably small for its crazy size

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation