Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 12:59 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

The first thing that caught my eye on that picture was the thales comms building. I'm beyond hope.
Old 02-07-23, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats the total of the tolls for that route, so spread out over the 150 miles. The route I took had no tolls. But tolls up and down that 95 corridor are insane. I blame a lot of peoples tolerance for it on EZPass, people don't realize what they spend. If they had to fork out $25 in paper money for tolls they would realize...

If you think that is bad, I-66 commuters, sometimes, depending on rush-hour traffic-demand with the variable-rates, have to fork out over $40 on their passes just to drive the 15 or so miles of I-66 inside the Beltway. Preposterous.....but it has not changed, even with people complaining about it.

I don't think it is a matter of people not "realizing" what they spend....it is that, in some places, agencies simply know that they can charge high fees for tolls like this, and get them, because it is essentially a monopoly. There is little competition except for the unreliable, poorly-run, and incompetent Metro subway lines. And the Metro itself is also somewhat of a monopoly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-23 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-07-23, 03:38 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you think that is bad, I-66 commuters, sometimes, depending on rush-hour traffic-demand with the variable-rates, have to fork out over $40 on their passes just to drive the 15 or so miles of I-66 inside the Beltway. Preposterous.....but it has not changed, even with people complaining about it.

I don't think it is a matter of people not "realizing" what they spend....it is that, in some places, agencies simply know that they can charge high fees for tolls like this, and get them, because it is essentially a monopoly. There is little competition except for the unreliable, poorly-run, and incompetent Metro subway lines. And the Metro itself is also somewhat of a monopoly.
One thing to consider is we get a discount with EZ Pass vs cash.
Old 02-07-23, 08:04 PM
1BigDB
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but you have a tendency to argue about things when the other party really knows what they are talking about. We were talking about orange peel...Inapologize for being rude.
1BigDB
Old 02-08-23, 05:20 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

When I drove down to Florida 95 in VA was backed up and I paid $34 to take the express lane and that only lasted a short while because that was backed up as well a few miles down. I should have clocked it to see how much distance it covered that wasn’t backed up but it wasn’t much although I probably saved at least 20 minutes. Kind of a waste of money once the express was backed up. I felt ripped off. Worst part was that I was in traffic for an hour and there didn’t seem to be a reason for it other than people don’t know how to drive or merge.
Old 02-08-23, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
When I drove down to Florida 95 in VA was backed up and I paid $34 to take the express lane and that only lasted a short while because that was backed up as well a few miles down. I should have clocked it to see how much distance it covered that wasn’t backed up but it wasn’t much although I probably saved at least 20 minutes. Kind of a waste of money once the express was backed up. I felt ripped off. Worst part was that I was in traffic for an hour and there didn’t seem to be a reason for it other than people don’t know how to drive or merge.

I-95, particuarly in Northern-to-Central VA, is (arguably) the most congested Interstate highway in the country.....certainly the most congested one in the East. I-66, also in Northern VA, is almost as bad, and probably has more accidents, because of the endless construction.
Old 02-08-23, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Does that include the EZ Pass "express" lanes north of Baltimore, which probably is only a time saver in real rush hour traffic? That concept of paying to avoid traffic is something that I'm surprised gets no pushback.

And the Route 200 tolls?
Likely from there includes the Route 200 toll, but thats only $3 or so, the bulk of that is the PA Turnpike.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Is that MB OEM map? That's nice. Is it an option too?
Google Maps over CarPlay, love the satellite maps.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I just mapped out from my office in the Philly 'burbs, just off I-476, to Gaithersburg, MD -- tolls are $8.65; but without the Route 200 leg, it's only $7.00. It would be another $14.90 up the PA Turnpike NE Extension for the full length from the East-West Turnpike all the way to Clark's Summit. I'm not sure if those are EZ Pass rates. So the biggest chunk of the toll isn't on 95 - it's the PA Turnpike.
Yup. PA turnpike,

If you think that is bad, I-66 commuters, sometimes, depending on rush-hour traffic-demand with the variable-rates, have to fork out over $40 on their passes just to drive the 15 or so miles of I-66 inside the Beltway. Preposterous.....but it has not changed, even with people complaining about it..
Oh I'm well aware, I have paid it myself.
Old 02-08-23, 11:16 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Tolls suck. False plate if you want to avoid them....or get the pass etc.

The google maps integration is very nice to have, my D4s have it but I still just use a phone
Old 02-08-23, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Tolls suck. False plate if you want to avoid them....e
Yeah OK...most people are not gonna do this.
Old 02-08-23, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Saving on tolls is hardly worth the penalty of driving with a false plate. Sheesh.

Common examples of falsifying registration plates include:
  • Alter an originally issued license plate
  • Using a counterfeit license plate
  • Using a false or stolen registration sticker
Being in the possession of fake registration stickers or plates is a serious offense. Falsifying registration plates is a misdemeanor offense, punishable by a maximum two-month jail sentence and a fine of up to $500. On the other hand, driving an unregistered vehicle or allowing someone else to drive an unregistered vehicle is also a misdemeanor, which carries a maximum $500 fine
I ain't going to jail to save toll money.
Old 02-08-23, 11:27 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Saving on tolls is hardly worth the penalty of driving with a false plate. Sheesh.

I ain't going to jail to save toll money.
People here use plate flippers lol! It's way more common than you think and it's why the rates are disproportionate at times, I don't do it since I don't go on toll roads enough to care but I know a few hotshot drivers who do since their common route has a LOT of tolls

Plus the reality is if you can afford the fine/legal you can do it. These guys did the math and rather risk the court annoyance
Old 02-08-23, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
People here use plate flippers lol! It's way more common than you think and it's why the rates are disproportionate at times, I don't do it since I don't go on toll roads enough to care but I know a few hotshot drivers who do since their common route has a LOT of tolls

Plus the reality is if you can afford the fine/legal you can do it. These guys did the math and rather risk the court annoyance
If you were stopped on the side of the road and a cop found you had a false plate, you could be arrested and have your vehicle impounded. Makes no sense.

These are the penalties in Ohio:

If you are convicted of knowingly displaying a fictitious plate, consequences could include:
  • you are guilty of committing a class 2 misdemeanor.
  • Up to $750 in fines plus surcharges, which can nearly double the fine amount.
  • Up to 4 months in jail.
  • Up to 2 years probation
If you can afford the fine, you can afford the tolls.
Old 02-08-23, 12:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Tolls are very annoying but come on. That said, TN doesn't have any.
Old 02-08-23, 12:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If you were stopped on the side of the road and a cop found you had a false plate, you could be arrested and have your vehicle impounded. Makes no sense.

These are the penalties in Ohio:

If you can afford the fine, you can afford the tolls.
I don't do it but as I've said many people do, like WAY more than you would expect. I know several people who have 5 cars and only two plates they move from car to car.

It's reality really, cops are too few and far between out here for most to care
Old 02-08-23, 01:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's definitely a big thing in NY. I see people damaging their plates or using plate flippers very frequently to evade tolls and speed cameras.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation