Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

saw this tonight. So classy .
Old 02-19-23, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

^^^^^That dates from the time (before Lexus came along) when M-B made what were arguably the most well-built vehicles on the planet. That changed radically in the 1990s and early 2000s.
Old 02-20-23, 03:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Yep. Timeless. Look how huge the rear door is. Definitely a LWB like most.

The thing about these old Mercedes though is they had awful transmissions until they updated them all to the electronic 5 speed in the mid-late 90s. These were hydraulic (not electronic), and apparently, flooring it and waiting for a downshift that might not even come was the norm. Could you imagine flooring a powerful Mercedes (or whatever) and not getting a downshift??
Old 02-20-23, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I tried two of them, no CarPlay.

I looked it up, its an option on the XLE, available in the XLE Plus package that clearly none of them had:

Old 02-20-23, 06:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I tried two of them, no CarPlay.

I looked it up, its an option on the XLE, available in the XLE Plus package that clearly none of them had:
That's talking about the higher-end JBL system, which does include AA/CP, but those features are not a unique add. Here is the base stereo that is standard on (and only available in) the base LE:

Audio—9-in. touchscreen, six speakers, Apple CarPlay® & Android Auto™ *& Amazon Alexa * compatible, one USB media port, * six USB charge ports, * hands-free phone capability and music streaming * via Bluetooth® * wireless technology, SiriusXM® * with 3-month Platinum Plan trial subscription. * See toyota.com/audio-multimedia for details.

And the midlevel stereo that is standard in the XLE, optional on the LE:

Audio Plus—9-in. touchscreen, eight speakers, Apple CarPlay
® & Android Auto™ *& Amazon Alexa *compatible, one USB media port, * six USB charge ports, * hands-free phone capability and music streaming * via Bluetooth® * wireless technology, SiriusXM® * with 3-month Platinum Plan trial subscription. * See toyota.com/audio-multimedia for details.

The JBL system you listed is indeed optional on the XLE, and standard on all the uplevel models:

Premium Audio and Dynamic Navigation
with 3-year trial *—9-in. touchscreen, 8 speakers, Apple CarPlay® * & Android Auto™ * & Amazon Alexa * compatible, one USB media port, six USB charge ports, * hands-free phone capability and music streaming * via Bluetooth® * wireless technology, SiriusXM® * with 3-month Platinum Plan trial subscription. * See toyota.com/audio-multimedia for details.

12 JBL®
* speakers including subwoofer and amplifier

If you look on the main Multimedia page for the Sienna, you'll find this:

Apple CarPlay® CompatibilityWith Apple CarPlay® * compatibility standard, you can plug in your compatible iPhone® * to get directions, listen to your own playlists, make calls and send messages—all while maintaining focus on your drive.

Android Auto™ Compatibility

Bring along a familiar interface. Android Auto™ * compatibility shows your phone’s apps on Sienna’s touchscreen display. Play your favorite songs, tap to get driving directions, tap to send a text and even call your mom—hands free. *

Edit: I don't know why my middle two quotes are splitting, apologies.
Old 02-20-23, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although it's definitely smaller inside than a minivan, I'm surprised you would say that, as the Acadia is a pretty nice crossover, although one of GM's more unreliable vehicles. The only really crappy thing on it I'd complain about are the transmission buttons, although on a long trip like that from Florida, you would probably be cruising most of the time and not pushing them.

While I agree I'd rather have the available N/A 3.6L V6 (the same engine, with cylinder-deactivation at cruise, that my former Lacrosse had), that 2.0T four, like most 2.0Ts, is refined and packs a decent punch for its size. It has as much, if not more, torque than the V6.

That primary-instrument cluster, BTW, is also the same one that was in my Lacrosse.....right out of GM's parts-bin.
Its an okay vehicle, but crummy inside, and outdated feeling. The 4 cyl is buzzy and unnrefined. Space is pretty good. Just not a vehicle I would ever consider buying
Old 02-20-23, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
T
And the midlevel stereo that is standard in the XLE, optional on the LE:
All I can say is, they definitely did not have CarPlay. I plugged my phone in, nothing. No buttons anywhere in the menu system for CarPlay. You can pair phones but only for phone and audio. I've never rented a Sienna but I have rented Camrys, Avalons, etc and as soon as you plug the phone in, it connects to CarPlay, and there are CarPlay buttons right there in the home screen. This was Hertz, its entirely possible Toyota optioned vans specifically for them that have different options than whats available to consumers. They had several of the Hertz badged and gold striped Mustang GTs too.

I usually use Avis, but they screwed up my Escalade rental last time and gave my car away and made me take something less than what I paid, pretended to give me a refund and didn't...so I used Hertz this time. I'm President's Circle with Hertz through my Platinum AMEX card. Avis definitely has better equipped cars on average...
Old 02-20-23, 08:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

All I can say is, they definitely did not have CarPlay. I plugged my phone in, nothing. No buttons anywhere in the menu system for CarPlay. You can pair phones but only for phone and audio. I've never rented a Sienna but I have rented Camrys, Avalons, etc and as soon as you plug the phone in, it connects to CarPlay, and there are CarPlay buttons right there in the home screen. ..
If you turn off automatic CarPlay connection. You’ll never know you have it. Toyota let’s you turn it off
Old 02-20-23, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

The only thing I can think of is maybe you had your lighting cable plugged into one of the charging ports rather than the data port. If I recall, there is one USB for data, and 2 or 3 others that are only for charging.
Old 02-20-23, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you turn off automatic CarPlay connection. You’ll never know you have it. Toyota let’s you turn it off
Originally Posted by JDR76
The only thing I can think of is maybe you had your lighting cable plugged into one of the charging ports rather than the data port. If I recall, there is one USB for data, and 2 or 3 others that are only for charging.
You would still have CarPlay options within the menu system, and remember I tried two Siennas and both were the same way…

I agree the 2023 says CarPlay is standard…but these two were both 23s and definitely did not have carplay

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-20-23 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-20-23, 08:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

You would still have CarPlay options within the menu system, and remember I tried two Siennas and both were the same way…
That's not the way it is on my Tundra. If my phone is plugged in, I get a CarPlay selection in my main nav menu. If the phone is not plugged in, there is no option in the screen for CarPlay (the icon then becomes something like "Phone Projection").
Old 02-20-23, 08:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
That's not the way it is on my Tundra. If my phone is plugged in, I get a CarPlay selection in my main nav menu. If the phone is not plugged in, there is no option in the screen for CarPlay (the icon then becomes something like "Phone Projection").
exact same as in my Camry. No CarPlay menu option unless iPhone is plugged in

there are also some pure charging ports that don’t trigger CarPlay option to show up

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-20-23 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-20-23, 08:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree the 2023 says CarPlay is standard…but these two were both 23s and definitely did not have carplay

In mine. If Car Play is OFF. Even if you plug it nothing will show up. It’s like it no longer exists.
Old 02-20-23, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But what are the odds that CarPlay would have been turned off on both units?

Its possible I missed it but I really don't think so. I've never had any issue getting CarPlay to connect on any other modern Toyota model...
Old 02-20-23, 09:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

You folks and your fancy stuff.....

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation