Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 11:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Well sure, it was the previous generation. Like we’ve been trying to tell you in general cars get better with each successive generation.
Not necessarily. New Accord is good example. 204hp. Nothing good about that.

The last one that had tons of power got 30+ mpg, that's plenty good enough. I don't need 50mpg, 30 is great for me.
Old 02-25-23, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not necessarily. New Accord is good example. 204hp. Nothing good about that.

The last one that had tons of power got 30+ mpg, that's plenty good enough. I don't need 50mpg, 30 is great for me.
Thats why I said “in general”

And if someone wants 50 MPG, which most consumers do today, they would believe the new one is much better than the old one.
Old 02-25-23, 01:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
One of these days I'm gonna grive an A8.

I saw an A7 yesterday and I didn't know the A7 was an SUV, just happened to be driving next to me.
You all have me looking at cars a lot more these daya. lol
I'll be down there this summer.....you want me to bring the two turbo or the 12?
Old 02-25-23, 01:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'll be down there this summer.....you want me to bring the two turbo or the 12?
No brainer. The 12
Old 02-25-23, 10:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

‘this is the best interior design for a daily driver.
Spoiler

Anyone disagree?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-25-23 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-25-23, 11:15 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Well sure, it was the previous generation. Like we’ve been trying to tell you in general cars get better with each successive generation.

I actually much preferred the 2002 generation to the one that you had
Many examples of this not being true. Just in the TL lineup, the 4th gen was complete garbage in every sense compared to the 3rd. The only area it was better was a whopping mpg better and an AWD option. Everything else, from material quality, looks (subjective but everyone hated the beak and overall styling), visibility, etc was a noticeable decline.

Then you have its competitors such as the ES, where the 5th certainly lost a step over the prior gen. The 07 was better at whipping around corners fast but that wasn't what the ES was designed for in the first place. You got a GS for spirited driving. You could even make a case for the 3rd gen better than the 4th regarding this car, although (to me) it's pretty close and I couldn't personally pick a winner.

Point is, some gens are better than previous but some are worse.
Old 02-26-23, 07:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Anyone disagree?
Its okay, doesn't wow me in any way.

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Many examples of this not being true. Just in the TL lineup, the 4th gen was complete garbage in every sense compared to the 3rd. The only area it was better was a whopping mpg better and an AWD option. Everything else, from material quality, looks (subjective but everyone hated the beak and overall styling), visibility, etc was a noticeable decline.
Thats why I said "in general", but facets if the 4th gen were certainly better than the outgoing model.

Then you have its competitors such as the ES, where the 5th certainly lost a step over the prior gen. The 07 was better at whipping around corners fast but that wasn't what the ES was designed for in the first place. You got a GS for spirited driving. You could even make a case for the 3rd gen better than the 4th regarding this car, although (to me) it's pretty close and I couldn't personally pick a winner.
I had (still have) a 4th gen ES, and also had a 5th gen ES. The interior of the 5th gen was not as nice as the interior of the 4th gen (mine was a 2010 refresh which fixed a lot of the issues with the 07-09 model, but still not as nice overall inside), but that was the only way the 5ES wasn't superior. I MUCH preferred the 5ES. More dynamic without losing any comfort, much better looking outside, tech was better, it had the power tilt wheel which the 4ES lacked. Overall, the 5ES was a better car. It wasn't a sporty car in any way, nothing like a GS (which itself wasn't sporty until the 4GS which I also had), but it was a great example of a little more dynamic focus making it overall a much more enjoyable car to drive.
Old 02-26-23, 08:12 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

\
And if someone wants 50 MPG, which most consumers do today,
No they don't. SO.MANY.PEOPLE don't care about gas mileage (I mean, within reason). Not saying you but people are brainwashed.

The Honda 2.0t was a monster and they ripped it away for Uncle Sam. Know how many test drivers are gonna find this new one slow?
Old 02-26-23, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No they don't. SO.MANY.PEOPLE don't care about gas mileage (I mean, within reason). Not saying you but people are brainwashed.

The Honda 2.0t was a monster and they ripped it away for Uncle Sam. Know how many test drivers are gonna find this new one slow?
That is just not true at all. Its the #1 thing they are looking for:

Look at those ranked things, and you will understand why Honda designed the Accord the way they did. Its not "for Uncle Sam", its what consumers want!

We are not typical consumers...this Accord will sell very well. Its a driving appliance, people don't care about it being fast. Where on that list is "performance"? Its not on there at all.

We blame carmakers or the government for the decrease in engine size and type in the name of fuel economy, but consumers drive that.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-26-23 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-26-23, 08:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

That is just not true at all. Its the #1 thing they are looking for:

Look at those ranked things, and you will understand why Honda designed the Accord the way they did. Its not "for Uncle Sam", its what consumers want!

We are not typical consumers...this Accord will sell very well. Its a driving appliance, people don't care about it being fast. Where on that list is "performance"? Its not on there at all.
It's for CAFE averages, which is for Uncle Sam.

People do care about performance, more than you think, but not performance numbers etc like us. My mother is 71 years old and would never buy one of these, because she likes powerful cars. Not all consumers are just blind sheep.

I have not one friend who bought a car for fuel economy now that I think about it.
Old 02-26-23, 08:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Spoiler

Anyone disagree?
The "best"? I don't see why. Good to live with on a daily basis? Honestly, in this day and age, with infotainment screens, I would never give an opinion on that from a still picture. Gotta test it out to be sure.
Old 02-26-23, 08:28 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

We blame carmakers or the government for the decrease in engine size and type in the name of fuel economy, but consumers drive that.
Is it your position that all these 2.0ts and downsizing in general is because of consumers??? It's not.
Old 02-26-23, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's for CAFE averages, which is for Uncle Sam.

People do care about performance, more than you think, but not numbers etc like us. My mother is 71 years old and would never buy one of these, because she likes powerful cars. Not all consumers are just blind sheep.

I have not one friend who bought a car for fuel economy now that I think about it.
Look at the chart! The chart tells you everything you need to know. The chart is not fake, its real. People are not "blind sheep" because they want different things than you do. Your mother likes powerful cars, she's a car enthusiast, most people are not. My mother is 76 and she couldn't possibly care less about how much power a car has, my wife is 40 and she doesn't care either. Doesn't even know or care what kind of engine her car has, and to her a Prius that did 0-60 in 10 seconds was plenty fast. To most people, a car is an appliance, much like a refrigerator, especially buyers of a car like the Accord. The new Accord makes perfect sense for its target consumer.

Not every car has to be designed for us. There are plenty of great cars designed for us...this one is designed for the average non enthusiast appliance carbuyer who primarily cares about fuel economy.
Old 02-26-23, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is it your position that all these 2.0ts and downsizing in general is because of consumers??? It's not.
No, I think it also has to do with CAFE standards but most people support the higher cafe standards, they voted for them.

https://consumerfed.org/press_releas...omy-standards/

Washington, D.C. – Increasing federal fuel economy standards for cars and light duty trucks, to 42 MPG by 2025, is supported by 79 percent of Americans (68 percent of Republicans), and opposed by only 18 percent, according to a recent national survey commissioned by the Consumer Federation of America (CFA). The Administration and Congress are considering weakening these standards.

One reason for the widespread support of higher standards is that a large majority (79%) of those intending to purchase a motor vehicle in the future, think that the vehicle’s fuel economy is important in the purchase of their next vehicle. In part, this concern may reflect the belief that gas prices will rise in the future. When asked to guess the price of gasoline in five years, the average price given by all respondents was $3.90. Today’s average price is only $2.27.
Like it or not, the marketplace wants this. People want high fuel economy, enthusiasts dont care as much, but we make up maybe 1% of carbuyers.
Old 02-26-23, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Part of this too is you drive very little, when people drive a lot fuel makes up a huge part of their expenses. One of the managers at my company got a Tesla Model S and traded her X5. She manages several offices spread out geographically, so she drives a lot. Her monthly fuel cost was nearly $1,000. Thats why she got the Tesla....she bought a $115,000 Tesla and her monthly outlay for transportation decreased. Thats crazy lol.

I pay about $500 a month to fuel my cars and one of them is driven 14,000 miles a year (the national average) and the other is only driven about 8,000 miles a year which is way low. If my wife was also driving for work our monthly expense would be about $700 a month.

That is a HUGE part of a family's monthly budget. It makes total sense for consumers to want to dramatically reduce that. Going from 30MPG to 50 MPG basically cuts their fuel budget in half, which puts an extra $100 a month back in their pocket.

You said in your BMW thread you don't care about having a new phone because "$1,100 isnt worth it to you", well for typical consumers having a more powerful car isn't worth $1,000+ a year in additional fuel cost. Everybody has different things they feel are worth spending on, and the majority of people clearly value fuel economy over power.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-26-23 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation