Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-23, 06:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

At least around here, most of the dealers who have loaner programs also have arrangements with car rental agencies to help them with overflow. They pay some ridiculous rate like $17/day, just because of the volume that they do. Might be worth demanding they put you in one of those if all they have is an A class. I'm sure you'd prefer to spend a week in a Malibu or whatever. I know I would.
Old 03-04-23, 06:44 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Just be happy you got a loaner and didn’t get Uber credits. That’s my threshold these days.

I will say the BMW dealer near me is really good, they try to give you an equivalent class of car that you dropped off. When I took my X7 they apologized for not having an X7 loaner for me because the one they were going to give me was sold. I told the cashier I wasn’t expecting an X7 so just give me anything so I got an X6, what a POS that was LOL.
Old 03-04-23, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
At least around here, most of the dealers who have loaner programs also have arrangements with car rental agencies to help them with overflow. They pay some ridiculous rate like $17/day, just because of the volume that they do. Might be worth demanding they put you in one of those if all they have is an A class. I'm sure you'd prefer to spend a week in a Malibu or whatever. I know I would.
Thats how it was at Lexus.

This worked out okay, the A Class was all they had and they put me in something better for the weekend after loaners were returned, its fine. The issue really is, they shouldnt have a customer make an appointment, drop their car off and then have it take multiple days before they can even look at the car...I would be less frustrated if they had at least diagnosed the car yesterday. Don't take appointments when you can't service the customer...simple.

Originally Posted by patgilm
Just be happy you got a loaner and didn’t get Uber credits. That’s my threshold these days.
Yeah that aint gonna work for me lol. I scheduled out specifically to get a loaner, which again is fine...I can plan ahead.

I will say the BMW dealer near me is really good, they try to give you an equivalent class of car that you dropped off. When I took my X7 they apologized for not having an X7 loaner for me because the one they were going to give me was sold. I told the cashier I wasn’t expecting an X7 so just give me anything so I got an X6, what a POS that was LOL.
Yeah thats fine with me lol. Even a GLA or GLB would have been fine if thats all they had, I just don't like them, but this A Class shouldn't be a loaner...
Old 03-04-23, 07:12 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But, to be fair if I need to drive 9 hours away, and my car is at the dealer for service or a warranty repair, then I need to drive 9 hours away. The point of the loaner is so my travel needs aren't interrupted by having my car in the shop. I've taken loaners and rental cars on trips before.
Originally Posted by Striker223
1000% Agree with that. A loaner is a REPLACMENT for whatever I normally would need my car to do while I am paying the dealer premium costs. That was one thing that did annoy me during my service visit with Audi since I always read the whole "rules" sheet and inspect the car before leaving.
I think that's your definition of loaners but I do see your point and it's somewhat valid to certain degree. I changed my ways for loaners long ago. Unless I really want to test drive something, I either wait or have them drive/Uber me to my office. I haven't had anything that would take longer than a day so it's been fine for me.
Originally Posted by patgilm
Yeah some of them know how to make their customers happy. Nice sayings don't cost a penny. So why not say what people want to hear? Care to give more elaboration on why X6 is a POS? I'm not a fan of its design but isn't it very similar to X5/X7 inside/engine but slightly smaller than X7? Or is it because it's not 5.0 like yours?
Old 03-04-23, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I think that's your definition of loaners but I do see your point and it's somewhat valid to certain degree. I changed my ways for loaners long ago. Unless I really want to test drive something, I either wait or have them drive/Uber me to my office. I haven't had anything that would take longer than a day so it's been fine for me.
I think thats a pretty reasonable definition of a loaner.

Here's the issue with Mercedes, before I had a Mercedes I never had a car that was in the shop for more than a day or two outside of one thing (the navigation issue on my 15 LS460, they had it for 2 weeks, had to disassemble it and order parts), even with my problematic Chryslers, I always had it back within 2 days, but Mercedes just takes their sweet time. If its going to sit there for 4 days without even being looked at, they need to give me a car I can do whatever I need to do with. I have never had a dealer take multiple days to even look at a car, even CHRYSLER always looks at the car the day I drop it off, has a diagnosis, maybe they need to wait overnight for a part and then I have it back the next day.

Even routine service at Mercedes often isn't completed the day the car is dropped off. I don't think I have ever dropped it off and gotten it back the same day...even for an A service.

As for the radius, I drive a lot for a living, and I drive more than 75 miles away from the dealer, what am I supposed to do?

Yeah some of them know how to make their customers happy. Nice sayings don't cost a penny. So why not say what people want to hear? Care to give more elaboration on why X6 is a POS? I'm not a fan of its design but isn't it very similar to X5/X7 inside/engine but slightly smaller than X7? Or is it because it's not 5.0 like yours?
He was joking lol
Old 03-04-23, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I think thats a pretty reasonable definition of a loaner.

Here's the issue with Mercedes, before I had a Mercedes I never had a car that was in the shop for more than a day or two outside of one thing (the navigation issue on my 15 LS460, they had it for 2 weeks, had to disassemble it and order parts), even with my problematic Chryslers, I always had it back within 2 days, but Mercedes just takes their sweet time. If its going to sit there for 4 days without even being looked at, they need to give me a car I can do whatever I need to do with. I have never had a dealer take multiple days to even look at a car, even CHRYSLER always looks at the car the day I drop it off, has a diagnosis, maybe they need to wait overnight for a part and then I have it back the next day.

Even routine service at Mercedes often isn't completed the day the car is dropped off. I don't think I have ever dropped it off and gotten it back the same day...even for an A service.

ol
Awful service. Need to have to more patience. Just drop it off and come back when ready
Old 03-04-23, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Awful service. Need to have to more patience. Just drop it off and come back when ready
And thats somewhat okay (I still would rather have my car that I love to drive), but not when I'm in a terrible A Class loaner with all kinds of restrictions as to what I can do with it.

I have delayed putting it back in for this for months because I knew this is how it would be...and the net result of all of this will be "its normal"...mark my words lol
Old 03-04-23, 08:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And thats somewhat okay (I still would rather have my car that I love to drive), but not when I'm in a terrible A Class loaner with all kinds of restrictions as to what I can do with it.
l
life with a German car. My brother had his ball joints changed out on his 3 series (2014). Took 4-5 to get it all done. The simple issue of your MB not even looking at it during your appointment time is a big issue
Old 03-04-23, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

life with a German car. My brother had his ball joints changed out on his 3 series (2014). Took 4-5 to get it all done. The simple issue of your MB not even looking at it during your appointment time is a big issue
The service advisor told me "they only have a few master diagnostic techs we put on cases like this" and thats fine, but when I made the appointment I told them the issue...why wouldn't they just schedule me when the diagnostic tech was available?!
Old 03-04-23, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The service advisor told me "they only have a few master diagnostic techs we put on cases like this" and thats fine, but when I made the appointment I told them the issue...why wouldn't they just schedule me when the diagnostic tech was available?!
Poor excuse. Crappy service place. If you have an appointment. , you have an appointment
Old 03-04-23, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Poor excuse. Crappy service place. If you have an appointment. , you have an appointment
I totally agree...

This seems to be common for Mercedes dealers...these are two different dealers (same franchise)
Old 03-04-23, 08:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I totally agree...

This seems to be common for Mercedes dealers...these are two different dealers (same franchise)
‘Yeah. Terrible. MB also makes less of a warranty than a repair. So there’s that too.
Old 03-04-23, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One guy on MBWorld had his W223 in the dealer for 6 weeks because he had some issue with the sunroof squealing when he opened it...I couldn't believe he would put up with it. Give me the car back and call me when you have what you need to fix it...
Old 03-04-23, 08:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

you're not selling me on getting a mercedes.

i've now experienced service a couple of times at the local dealer though (for someone else) and they're very polite and helpful but not always on the ball. everything seems to take longer and multiple contacts to arrange/do.

but i get to look at eye candy cars anyway.
Old 03-04-23, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're not selling me on getting a mercedes.
This is a potential reason not to lol. Everybody is super nice and for the most part treat you really well, but they seem to have this idea that Mercedes customers don't have a desire to get their cars back quickly...and all the loaner restrictions are a new thing...

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-04-23 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation