Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-23, 12:30 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Apparently the code for a malfunctioning height sensor doesn't indicate which one it is (B2416, GWS191). Steps to be annoyed:

1) Wash car, heavy snow foam presoak around the wheel arch area
2) Drive next evening, notice that your lights seem off
3) Stop at destination and note that the low beams are up in the air
4) Pull AFS fuse (headlight level fuse, something something)
5) Be puzzled that there's no warning on the dash
6) Go home, connect techstream, put fuse back in, despair that everything is acting normally
7) Check the DTC page, not that there's a code for a height sensor
8) Note that it doesn't say which one (no subcode, no freeze frame data)
9) Pick your emotional state :P

On that note - cleanest way to repair a wiring harness? Toyota says (or used to say) "crimp and wrap with tape", Mercedes says "solder shrink" (TE raychem) and I'm kinda leaning towards the latter as of late. New connectors, obviously. Suspecting the rear height sensor as I've already done the front (& packed the connector full of contact grease ^_^).
Old 03-05-23, 12:37 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In other news, I think I may order a Telluride to replace the Pacifica. There is a dealer in Ohio that people order them from with no markup, and it takes 8-10 months. That way I can decide if I want it when it comes in, which will coincide with the end of the lease on the Pacifica.

I may just keep the Pacifica and buy it out of the lease. I’m not buying another minivan, if my wife insists she has to have a minivan we will keep this one. It only has 22,000 miles on it.

I’ve looked at a lot of vehicles. The Telluride/Palisade really is an incredible combination of interior room and exterior size. I would love a GLS, but I just can’t justify spending $95,000 for one when my wife drives it primarily and she gets no enjoyment from a car. I think she will appreciate the smaller exterior dimensions of the Telluride, and it has all the driving aids we both want and the space we need. At MSRP of like $54k it’s a screaming deal.
Excellent choice. People who own it swear by it. I can't convince my wife to opt in to the captain's chairs in the back. Otherwise, that would be our top choice too.

Muncie in Indiana was doing Costco pricing before and during the pandemic so obviously their backlog is about 8-10 months. Their extended warranty was more reasonable too.

The only issue that comes up on some people's rides is a faint driveline vibration they report "feeling" at 65-75mph. Otherwise the car is solid.

And some people don't like the Lego front bumper too much.
Old 03-05-23, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Apparently the code for a malfunctioning height sensor doesn't indicate which one it is (B2416, GWS191). Steps to be annoyed:

1) Wash car, heavy snow foam presoak around the wheel arch area
2) Drive next evening, notice that your lights seem off
3) Stop at destination and note that the low beams are up in the air
4) Pull AFS fuse (headlight level fuse, something something)
5) Be puzzled that there's no warning on the dash
6) Go home, connect techstream, put fuse back in, despair that everything is acting normally
7) Check the DTC page, not that there's a code for a height sensor
8) Note that it doesn't say which one (no subcode, no freeze frame data)
9) Pick your emotional state :P

On that note - cleanest way to repair a wiring harness? Toyota says (or used to say) "crimp and wrap with tape", Mercedes says "solder shrink" (TE raychem) and I'm kinda leaning towards the latter as of late. New connectors, obviously. Suspecting the rear height sensor as I've already done the front (& packed the connector full of contact grease ^_^).

what Toyota is this?
Old 03-05-23, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Excellent choice. People who own it swear by it. I can't convince my wife to opt in to the captain's chairs in the back. Otherwise, that would be our top choice too.

Muncie in Indiana was doing Costco pricing before and during the pandemic so obviously their backlog is about 8-10 months. Their extended warranty was more reasonable too.

The only issue that comes up on some people's rides is a faint driveline vibration they report "feeling" at 65-75mph. Otherwise the car is solid.

And some people don't like the Lego front bumper too much.
Yeah, we need the captains chairs so the dog can walk back to the third row...
Old 03-05-23, 01:33 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
what Toyota is this?
'08 gs450h.

Some other models have... uhh... practically rebuildable height sensors - land cruisers, mostly. This one is welded/glued/whatever plastic. Anyways, haven't pulled it apart yet, waiting for the issue to manifest again so that I can see live which sensor is acting up in the first place. Still, with the welded ones, most of the time it appears to be a connector water sealing failure.
Old 03-05-23, 02:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Buy an off lease CPO with a 6 year warranty for the same money monthly? Or something far cheaper than new if it's not a nice car for you. A work vehicle/daily doesn't have to be all that nice when you have an LC as the real car lol!
ha, yes about latter, but i don't see much point in buying an off lease cpo when the vehicle i have will be coming off lease and the buyout is so 'cheap'.
in related news, washed the lc today (about my least favorite thing to do) and took it for a drive to do some errands... such a great car.

But then why not just keep what he has? I’d rather have a used car used by me.
exactly. i do want to look at the warranty info though, it should be fine, hell it only has 18k mi. on it.

good choice on telluride. i prefer the palisade looks but both excellent vehicles.
Old 03-05-23, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah one thing to check for yours, Hyundai has that great warranty but only for the original owner. If you buy it out and keep it make sure that you keep that warranty. Technically you become the second owner.

Yeah I think the Telluride will serve us well. Have to decide on colors…will post some and get some thoughts.
Old 03-05-23, 04:15 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Especially when you can't rotate your tires. My front tires are really worn on the outside shoulders, but the rears look great...I may just try and get away with replacing just the fronts next time.
All mine seem to wear out about the same. And I’m surprised I still have this much meat after 36k. My Lexus SUVs would have been replaced already. Maybe a little more wear on the front. The strange thing I notice is my passenger outside shoulder wear more than the driver’s. I thought the car may not be aligned but it is. I can let go the steering wheel and it still keeps going straight. Any idea why they wear the way? My fronts are 275/40/21 and rears are 315/35/21.
Old 03-05-23, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Could be that you turn left more?
Old 03-05-23, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
The strange thing I notice is my passenger outside shoulder wear more than the driver’s. I thought the car may not be aligned but it is. I can let go the steering wheel and it still keeps going straight. Any idea why they wear the way? My fronts are 275/40/21 and rears are 315/35/21.
​​​​​Could be that you turn left more?
Possibly. Or regularly carry heavy persons in the right-hand seats. Or simply have more weight in cargo on the right side of the vehicle.
Old 03-05-23, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That would be unusual since most people are in the car most of the time alone on the left side
Old 03-05-23, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That would be unusual since most people are in the car most of the time alone on the left side

Agreed. I was only citing some possibilities.

On a related note, technicians once noticed that the driver's side brake pads in my vehicles often wore faster than the ones on the passenger's side. They attributed it to my 280 lb.weight and the fact that I usually drive alone. Makes sense.
Old 03-05-23, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The beauty of the dash is that this whole piece is one..

am I right?
Old 03-05-23, 06:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its an aesthetic difference. That was great for that era, but modern dashes with additional wood and metal trim and stitched leather sections IMO are way more modern and high end looking than just one piece all vinyl padded dash. The dash of a moden car is still all one piece, it just has trim attached to that one piece.
Old 03-05-23, 06:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its an aesthetic difference. That was great for that era, but modern dashes with additional wood and metal trim and stitched leather sections IMO are way more modern and high end looking than just one piece all vinyl padded dash. The dash of a moden car is still all one piece, it just has trim attached to that one piece.
hmm good answer. Great points. Not 100% sold in agreement

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation