Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 04:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Daughter visiting from VA, had the tires replaced on her M2 today with a new set of PSS. The original ones held up for 31,100 miles, and honestly they did not need replacing, I just did it because she doesn't come to NY very often, and they were 4 years old. Some people wear them out in less than 10k. Going to get her adaptive high beams coded in the next day or two.
Old 06-06-22, 04:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I really need to get tires on mine too...
Old 06-06-22, 04:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I really need to get tires on mine too...
I cant wait until the dreaded Pirellis on my wifes car wear out, so I can replace them with PSS and fix the major curb damage she has on all four wheels.
Old 06-06-22, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which Pirellis does she have?
Old 06-06-22, 04:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Not sure exact model, with BMW M cars you either lose the lottery and get the Pirellis, or win the lottery and get Michelins. We lost the lottery twice, both with her 2017 and 2021 cars, when I put PSS on her 2017 it drove so much better.
Old 06-06-22, 04:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

New S class has Hankooks. I thought they were a bargain tire. Guess not.
Old 06-06-22, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not sure exact model, with BMW M cars you either lose the lottery and get the Pirellis, or win the lottery and get Michelins. We lost the lottery twice, both with her 2017 and 2021 cars, when I put PSS on her 2017 it drove so much better.
Non run flats on an M Car? I'm considering the Pirelli PZero All Season Plus for mine.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
New S class has Hankooks. I thought they were a bargain tire. Guess not.
Yeah they do. One owner on the MBWorld forum replaced his Hankooks with the tires he loves, and put the Hankooks back on because they rode better and were quieter!
Old 06-06-22, 04:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they do. One owner on the MBWorld forum replaced his Hankooks with the tires he loves, and put the Hankooks back on because they rode better and were quieter!
I bought Hankooks for one of my cars. Was quite surprised. I think I am over with Michelins Have them on the Matrix, but I think I will go with something else next time
Old 06-06-22, 04:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Non run flats on an M Car? I'm considering the Pirelli PZero All Season Plus for mine.
They dont do run flats on M cars, it's always high performance Pirellis or PSS. At least on the M2 we have won the lottery and it came with Michelins.

You should stick with Michelins on your Benz. Listen to Steve Pitbull, he owns the best independent Mercedes shop I know. He discussed Pirellis at around 2:10

Old 06-06-22, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I bought Hankooks for one of my cars. Was quite surprised. I think I am over with Michelins Have them on the Matrix, but I think I will go with something else next time
There was a time when Michelins were just far and away the best quality tires, and nowadays there are a lot of high quality tires.

Originally Posted by Och
They dont do run flats on M cars, it's always high performance Pirellis or PSS. At least on the M2 we have won the lottery and it came with Michelins.

You should stick with Michelins on your Benz. Listen to Steve Pitbull, he owns the best independent Mercedes shop I know. He discussed Pirellis at around 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saZoznuKR8o
I will watch that. Issue is I like a soft, quiet tire and Michelin doesn't have anything great. Another choice is the Continental DWS06...but I have heard they can be kind of loud...

I was VERY happy with the many sets of Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus and Plus II I had on my LS460s, but they don't come in a size wide enough for the rears (275s)
Old 06-06-22, 05:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

I like the thread idea and hoping for everyone's success.
Showing my support and be mostly lurking but subscribed!

Last edited by Margate330; 06-06-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 05:30 PM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey everybody! At long last here is the General Car Conversation Thread, please review the guidelines above and enjoy!

What did everybody do to their cars today?
Dashcam in my S7 died over the weekend so I ordered a new one and installed it today. Can't be driving without one with all these crazy drivers everywhere!

Also had a discussion with my wife about possibly trading in her GS for a bigger car (SUV) for when the 2nd kid arrives... Anyone have suggestions? Lol.
Old 06-06-22, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There was a time when Michelins were just far and away the best quality tires, and nowadays there are a lot of high quality tires.
Michelin invented radial tires. I had my first exposure to them back in the early 70s, when my Dad talked me into putting a set of their early steel-belted radials on my big Chrysler. Completely transformed the car's ride/handling/noise level....also vastly increased tread-life.

I will watch that. Issue is I like a soft, quiet tire and Michelin doesn't have anything great. Another choice is the Continental DWS06...but I have heard they can be kind of loud...
Continental Contipro Contacts give a nice ride, low noise level, and, overall, are about as highly-rated as Michelins in Consumer Reports....the only other brand that is in Michelin's league, although my brother has an aftermarket set of the Dutch Vredestein brand on his Sportage, and loves them. That Dutch brand has not (yet) gotten a lot of exposure in the U.S., so they're still somewhat of a secret. I've had excellent luck (except for occasional punctures from road debris) on two Buicks with the Contipros.

Old 06-06-22, 06:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There was a time when Michelins were just far and away the best quality tires, and nowadays there are a lot of high quality tires.)
100% agree. What I noticed was that the Michelins on my old 4R, the tread wore extremely slow…but the ride got bad and the tire got too hard about 1/2 way. Same thing I have noticed with the Pilots on our Matrix, they start soft and go too firm. I’ve got Yokohama on my older 4R and they ride great.
Old 06-06-22, 07:23 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I cant wait until the dreaded Pirellis on my wifes car wear out, so I can replace them with PSS and fix the major curb damage she has on all four wheels.
You've clearly been waiting awhile. PSS were discontinued years ago, replaced by PS4, which was replaced by PS4S, which are now being replaced by PS5.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation