Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 11:36 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

oh man, the way he's pulling those pieces off is crazy.
Old 03-06-23, 12:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
….one handed and using his phone to record it with his other.
Old 03-06-23, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I bet that original shifter was very, very nice to use, and solid. Regarding interior assembly, LS500 comes apart one handed in 30 seconds, while LS430 getting the dash off is a true project.
You're confusing removing trim with "removing the dash". All he is doing is removing trim held on with clips, not removing the dash. Removing the entire dash is just as difficult as it was on the older Lexus cars. If you go to 5:00 in the LS430 video he removes the wood trim on the passenger side also with one hand, thats just trim held on with clips also, Its just on the new cars there is WAY more trim.

So update on my car, they did look at it today, shocker they can find nothing wrong. They had to order some parts for the fuel rail recall it also needs (no clue why they didnt do that Friday, as it was put in also for the recall, but I digress). Those parts "should" be in tomorrow, and the shop foreman is going to drive it and see if he can feel the vibration. I fully expect them to do the recall and give it back to me and do nothing about the vibration.

Ultimately in the future I will do what the MB mechanic recommended to me, pay him to diagnose an issue and then he will take it to the dealer and show them the exact issue and get it covered. I should have listened to him and just done that this time.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-06-23 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-06-23, 02:18 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Not gonna lie @SW17LS... your posts lately about your experience with your car and service scare me away from MB just a little more each time

Edit this was from another thread but still, just adding fuel to the fire haha

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Paint on the S Class is plenty stout, the finish just has way more orange peel than a premium car should. My Chrysler has a better finish... I would MUCH rather have a finish I need to care for more yet looks much better vs one that looks crappy regardless of what I do to it...
Old 03-06-23, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
Not gonna lie @SW17LS... your posts lately about your experience with your car and service scare me away from MB just a little more each time

Edit this was from another thread but still, just adding fuel to the fire haha
LOL, let me say I would absolutely buy another Mercedes! But, there are plusses and minuses, like all companies things they do well and things they don't.

Paint finish is something they don't do well, I also am experiencing that they can be difficult to deal with when it comes to diagnosing warranty repairs...I have heard that from others as well. I've had Lexus dealers that couldn't find their *** from a hole in the ground too.

However, there are lots of other things they do very well. From a driving perspective their cars are very well engineered, they have incredible ride/handling balance, they are extremely solid and confidence inspiring. Their powertrains are smooth, the V8 in my S560 is incredibly smooth, very similar to the 1UZ and 3UZ V8s I had in the LS400 and LS430, and much smoother and more refined than the UR V8 in my LS460s. They have great massaging seats, their technology is very good, especially their driver assistance tech, and their heritage makes everything they make (except for a few exceptions...A Class lol) feel special. Even this low package GLC300 I have as a loaner feels special...

Nothings perfect....
Old 03-06-23, 02:42 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

LOL, let me say I would absolutely buy another Mercedes! But, there are plusses and minuses, like all companies things they do well and things they don't.

Paint finish is something they don't do well, I also am experiencing that they can be difficult to deal with when it comes to diagnosing warranty repairs...I have heard that from others as well. I've had Lexus dealers that couldn't find their *** from a hole in the ground too.

However, there are lots of other things they do very well. From a driving perspective their cars are very well engineered, they have incredible ride/handling balance, they are extremely solid and confidence inspiring. Their powertrains are smooth, the V8 in my S560 is incredibly smooth, very similar to the 1UZ and 3UZ V8s I had in the LS400 and LS430, and much smoother and more refined than the UR V8 in my LS460s. They have great massaging seats, their technology is very good, especially their driver assistance tech, and their heritage makes everything they make (except for a few exceptions...A Class lol) feel special. Even this low package GLC300 I have as a loaner feels special...

Nothings perfect....
Haha yes fair enough, I was mostly joking But it's so true. There really isn't a perfect car or a perfect brand these days. Each have their pros and cons. You really just have to pick by which attributes you find most valuable and which cons you're willing to put up with
Old 03-06-23, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
Haha yes fair enough, I was mostly joking But it's so true. There really isn't a perfect car or a perfect brand these days. Each have their pros and cons. You really just have to pick by which attributes you find most valuable and which cons you're willing to put up with
Oh I know lol
Old 03-06-23, 03:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
No, but taking apart a dash one handed of a $100,000+ car with that much ease is a tad disconcerting.
Looks like good engineering to me.

It's the same reason why even air filters are easier to change on a Toyota/Lexus compared to a VW. Like, who the heck decides to put bolts on an airbox cover? Not just bolts, mind you - 8 of them...
Old 03-06-23, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My main issue with all of this trim vs a one piece dash is that it creates lots more opportunities to create rattles and creaks as the cars age...
Old 03-06-23, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Looks like good engineering to me.

It's the same reason why even air filters are easier to change on a Toyota/Lexus compared to a VW. Like, who the heck decides to put bolts on an airbox cover? Not just bolts, mind you - 8 of them...
Air cleaner or cabin air? My 4R needs tools to remove the bolts to access the cabin filter. Older Toyota models used to have bolts on the air filter cover.
Old 03-06-23, 04:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
And it 10000% is like that IRl, it is shockingly loose/weak vs an LS430 or even an LS460. That's one of many reasons I dislike the "LS"500, it wears the name of the real flagships but that's it. They should have made it like the LC500 inside, THAT is what Lexus is capable of and the LS deserves the same IMO.

Even 2018 LS500s have creaking issues and "shift" around when you put your knee on the center console etc....I do not like that at all. I like monolithic, heavy, and solid feeling interiors.
Old 03-06-23, 05:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
And it 10000% is like that IRl, it is shockingly loose/weak vs an LS430 or even an LS460. That's one of many reasons I dislike the "LS"500, it wears the name of the real flagships but that's it. They should have made it like the LC500 inside, THAT is what Lexus is capable of and the LS deserves the same IMO.

Even 2018 LS500s have creaking issues and "shift" around when you put your knee on the center console etc....I do not like that at all. I like monolithic, heavy, and solid feeling interiors.
I agree. That LS dash is quite disappointing

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Might want to just buy a new sensor assembly. Downright insane price for what is essentially a potentiometer, a few brackets and an end link with no carrying capacity whatsoever (still better than a spare wiper blade that costs more than a whole new wiper ) but it should practically last the lifetime of the vehicle. Of course, if you weren't really using the air sus in the first place...
The air suspension in my 4R was used constantly. There are no steel springs, Toyota used air springs which constantly adjusted the ride height. When they started to fail, the vehicle say about 1” too height and the try to adjust itself. I worked around it for little while by disabling the system by pulling the fuse so I could finally get it to the mechanic. . My mechanic highly advised remove the air and going with coil springs as the vehicle was too old to justify new sensors as the air springs would fail the next day. The way Toyota made this 4R was that you couldn’t swap in non air springs that were OEM as you had to go aftermarket.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-06-23 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-06-23, 05:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

You can take those apart and clean them, the LS430 as well.
Old 03-06-23, 05:52 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Some say stretched tires don't add much performance?

But it seems bmw puts stretched tires on from the factory.

My GS came with 245/40r18 tires on factory 18x8 wheels. Some said tires felt a little soft and mushy at this size.

I noticed BMW puts 225/45r18 on their 18x8 wheels, so I've switched my GS tires down to 225/45r18.
It gives the tires a straight/slightly stretched sidewall.

Years ago I downsized because 225 tires were cheaper. Definitely a bonus.

My new Kumho ecsta LX 225/45r18 tires were just under $94 each, and they have beefy construction. Rated at XL 95w, with 6 plies for the tread (2 steel 2 nylon 2 polyester) and 2 plies polyester sidewall.

Old 03-06-23, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
They should have made it like the LC500 inside, THAT is what Lexus is capable of and the LS deserves the same IMO.
well this video of a front camera install on the lc500 (which bizarrely doesn't have one) convinced me there's no way i'm tackling that... you wanna talk about a lot of trim pieces!

Even this low package GLC300 I have as a loaner feels special...
so you got them to swap out the a-class huh? good for you.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation