Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 08:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Dramatically cheaper and far superior solution:

Micro thumb drive Micro thumb drive
dbPoweramp
Old 03-10-23, 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
$670 plus labor for a CD player? Thats crazy lol
It is a bit much. I would pay for it. I like the option. to me it would be worth it.
Old 03-10-23, 08:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$670 plus labor for a CD player? Thats crazy lol
C'mon, it's CAN$, it's not really that much....
Old 03-10-23, 09:14 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
AcuraZine can be a bloodbath. Or at least it could when I was on it over a decade ago.
Originally Posted by Striker223
Agreed. The Audi forums are much more "violent" lol!
Yeah, no thanks!
I have better things to do. lol

That's why I like it here at Club Lexus.
"Save the drama for your mama". haha

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

my new favourite brand…
Sounds like a lot of $$$ cashola but it is special made and low volume so maybe that's why.
Old 03-10-23, 09:31 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 731 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29

Micro thumb drive
dbPoweramp
Absolutely! Rip to lossless FLAC/ALAC or uncompressed WAV/AIFF etc and you can store hundreds of CDs with zero dropout at full redbook.

Old 03-10-23, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Micro thumb drive
dbPoweramp
I get a lot of new releases from the library. So no. Not a superior solution. (Quality is the only reason to use a CD player)
Old 03-10-23, 10:15 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 731 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I get a lot of new releases from the library. So no. Not a superior solution. (Quality is the only reason to use a CD player)
You won't lose any quality ripping a CD to uncompressed AIFF/WAV or to lossless FLAC/ALAC. The rip results in a WAV or AIFF file which is identical to the data on the CD or an audio stream which once uncompressed from FLAC/ALAC is identical to the original CD.
Old 03-10-23, 10:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
You won't lose any quality ripping a CD to uncompressed AIFF/WAV or to lossless FLAC/ALAC. The rip results in a WAV or AIFF file which is identical to the data on the CD or an audio stream which once uncompressed from FLAC/ALAC is identical to the original CD.
But I am not worried about the quality loss. I go to the library, get a CD and walk back to the any of my cars (aside from my new 21 4R). I get in the car and drive and insert the CD…. This is nice and convenient
Old 03-10-23, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I think she meant quality is not the ONLY reason...

But I will say, for the $800 or so cost of that CD option you can pay for nearly 8 years of Apple Music and have access to every new release and any music you could possibly want in CD or better lossless quality and not have to go to the library. Just sayin
Old 03-10-23, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But I will say, for the $800 or so cost of that CD option you can pay for nearly 8 years of Apple Music and have access to every new release and any music you could possibly want in CD or better lossless quality and not have to go to the library. Just sayin
Hey SW....that is a very good point.
Old 03-10-23, 12:36 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Or even if one wanted to stick with CDs, $800 will purchase a lot of them--and then you own them forever--vs. just borrowing for a week or so from the library. Then rip them to FLAC, and always have access to them in the car with a touch.
Old 03-10-23, 12:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Mom’s ready to retire the Enclave. She’s looking at LC convertible or new Mercedes SL. 72 year old woman and a car enthusiast, my point is there are so many of us out there. She made clear she wants a V8, absolutely nothing less.
Old 03-10-23, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Or even if one wanted to stick with CDs, $800 will purchase a lot of them--and then you own them forever--vs. just borrowing for a week or so from the library. Then rip them to FLAC, and always have access to them in the car with a touch.
Yeah for the car, CDs are just not convenient now that we have the ability to store and play music in lossless quality. One thing I like when I travel, is with all my music on my phone I have it in whatever car I am driving. I remember when I was a kid we had a huge suitcase thing full of cassette tapes that it was always my job to rummage through and play...now, just plug in your phone.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Mom’s ready to retire the Enclave. She’s looking at LC convertible or new Mercedes SL. 72 year old woman and a car enthusiast, my point is there are so many of us out there. She made clear she wants a V8, absolutely nothing less.
I honestly don't know about the new SL, I have a friend who has one, I haven't driven it or ridden in it, but it doesn't feel like an SL to me, it seems too short, too rounded and curved, the SL to me needs a long hood, a real GT car. I prefer the outgoing one.

SL550:

Vs SL53:

I would choose the LC convertible, personally unless the better tech in the SL was really a big deal to you.

What other cars has she had in the past, I wouldn't call an Enclave a enthusiast car

Old 03-10-23, 01:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I honestly don't know about the new SL, I have a friend who has one, I haven't driven it or ridden in it, but it doesn't feel like an SL to me, it seems too short, too rounded and curved, the SL to me needs a long hood, a real GT car. I prefer the outgoing one.

What other cars has she had in the past, I wouldn't call an Enclave a enthusiast car
LOL...me neither. She does have an SLK in the garage that she loves. I personally like the LC better and always have, I have the best SL anyway.. ;-). You couldn't be more right about long hoods.

She's gonna do what she wants but I'm gonna try to steer her toward the Lexus, it sure looks way better and I doubt she'd have any trouble with it.
Old 03-10-23, 01:28 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Yeah for the car, CDs are just not convenient now that we have the ability to store and play music in lossless quality. One thing I like when I travel, is with all my music on my phone I have it in whatever car I am driving. I remember when I was a kid we had a huge suitcase thing full of cassette tapes that it was always my job to rummage through and play...now, just plug in your phone.
Oh I agree 100%, and I think I have purchased zero CDs or very close to it, since nearly my entire collection was stolen exactly twenty years ago. But I do have my Qobuz subscription, and have also purchased 116 Hi-Res albums from their store (using the discount provided by the subscription) in the past year alone.

I was just saying that IF for some reason, starting from the CD format was a hard requirement, you can still get pretty far with the $800 it would cost to install that CD player inside the armrest, converting them to FLAC instead. But yeah, if owning is not part of the equation (and for many it isn't), choose your preferred lossless streaming service and just go nuts.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation