Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-23, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what do you mean by breadth? i sat in an sl55 and an sl63 recently. loads of eye candy inside and out but to me, the interior was just 'too much'. i prefer the simplicity of my lc500.
however, the new sl is an AWESOME car. for 30-60% more money. obviously faster too, but my lc500 is fast enough for me.
Don't want to answer for him, but what I think he means and I would agree is that dynamically the SL is much more competent, it can excel at more, it can be a track machine, it can be a road car, its shockingly fast, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong @TangoRed

For me personally, that doesn't mean much to me so I too would choose the LC...
Old 03-12-23, 10:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

If I drove a right-hand-drive car I'd probably be in a wreck fast, lol not ashamed to admit it.
Old 03-12-23, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You get used to it more quickly than you think
Old 03-12-23, 03:15 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

what do you mean by breadth? i sat in an sl55 and an sl63 recently. loads of eye candy inside and out but to me, the interior was just 'too much'. i prefer the simplicity of my lc500.
however, the new sl is an AWESOME car. for 30-60% more money. obviously faster too, but my lc500 is fast enough for me.

i also didn't want a convertible, so there's that.

but that blue sl you've ordered looks awesome. when you say you flipped your prior order do you mean you actually made money on it?
I wouldn’t call the LC’s interior simple at all- it’s beautifully sculpted and has all those designs in the leather inside. I think it is a very fine expression of Lexus’ Japanese ethos. I get what you mean though.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Don't want to answer for him, but what I think he means and I would agree is that dynamically the SL is much more competent, it can excel at more, it can be a track machine, it can be a road car, its shockingly fast, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong @TangoRed

For me personally, that doesn't mean much to me so I too would choose the LC...
Yes exactly (Striker223 too). I’m excited that I can take this to the [very] occasional track day and keep up with the intermediate drivers in 911s and still use it comfortably for grocery store runs or a trip down to Portland. I’m probably going to have kids soon so this is my last chance for a while to buy something impractical that can do it all.
Old 03-12-23, 03:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

That's also what I hear from friends who have done it. I just feel like I'd probably look the wrong way and cause an accident.
Old 03-12-23, 04:43 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Your visibility / situational awareness is impaired. I wouldn't get one for a daily, but for a track toy / special weekend car unavailable in LHD - go crazy.
Old 03-12-23, 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The LC is the boat of the class ...
haha... i guess i'm enjoying being a boat owner then.

and is nowhere near the same level...
i know you enjoy driving cars at warp speed, but i honestly think additional performance of an SL55 or SL63 would be wasted on me.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I wouldn’t call the LC’s interior simple at all- it’s beautifully sculpted and has all those designs in the leather inside. I think it is a very fine expression of Lexus’ Japanese ethos. I get what you mean though.
maybe simple wasn't exactly what i meant... i find it pretty minimalist and elegant... just enough. the trackpad isn't optimal but at least i don't get fingerprints on a screen. i use voice and buttons mostly.

that said, the SL is awesome. love it, and would be thrilled to have one.
Old 03-12-23, 11:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
they still make MG's??????
Alive and kicking!

That’s always an experience!
Understatement! I always feel like I'm going to the wrong way. I've made a few mistakes in parking lots already.

And while I am thankful that the pedals are oriented the same as in LHD cars, for some reason it feels odd. Because I am having to shift with my left hand, it feels like the clutch should have switched sides too. I'm glad it didn't, but there is something disorienting about it. It could be the difference in the dead pedal/foot rest. I am used to the dead pedal being on the foot well intrusion, but here that's over by the gas pedal, with the clutch by the center tunnel with a smaller area to rest my foot, if that makes sense.

ha. looks like you're in the uk. i rented the very same vehicle last time. really great vehicle for a rental.
Indeed I am! 10 days of work in the Portsmouth/Southampton area.

As for the MG HS, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I would absolutely rent one again.

Originally Posted by AJT123
If I drove a right-hand-drive car I'd probably be in a wreck fast, lol not ashamed to admit it.
It's definitely taking some getting used to. Kind of fun and terrifying at the same time - like a roller coaster.

I hope you are right! I've driven in Europe before but never in England, so this is an absolute adventure.
Old 03-12-23, 11:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

This is absolutely true...I haven't seen any other forum that has the same kind of feel as CL does...thats why you see so many people stick around even when we no longer own Lexus vehicles...
I was thinking about this just yesterday. I will admit that sometimes I want to drop CL as it at times feels excessively negative, but then it gets better the next day. But when I see other cool cars or strange cars out there, or have some weird automotive experience of my own, I always feel like "I can't wait to post this on CL to share with everyone."
Old 03-13-23, 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Indeed I am! 10 days of work in the Portsmouth/Southampton area.
my fam is about an hour away (where i'm from) in W. Sussex. my grandparents lived in portsmouth. i haven't been there in a very long time but visit england typically every year. will be there soon.

As for the MG HS, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I would absolutely rent one again.
yup. great chinese 'copy' car. incredible generic, but well done.

It's definitely taking some getting used to. Kind of fun and terrifying at the same time - like a roller coaster.
I hope you are right! I've driven in Europe before but never in England, so this is an absolute adventure.
you mentioned parking lots... i understand! problem there is no points of reference. while i grew up in england, i didn't get my license there, so an adventure driing there for me too although so much time spent in the car with my dad or mom it was kind of programmed memory.

tip: if your butt is near the hedge or curb, you're on the wrong side! always keep your butt near the center line.
Old 03-13-23, 09:05 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Call me odd. I was too interested in the LC but it was the sitting inside that killed all my excitement. Didn't even want to test drive it either. It sure does look nice on the road.
Old 03-13-23, 01:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Call me odd. I was too interested in the LC but it was the sitting inside that killed all my excitement. Didn't even want to test drive it either. It sure does look nice on the road.
what was it about sitting inside that turned you off?

i bought mine sight unseen so that didn't happen.
Old 03-13-23, 02:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

If the LC actually received the TTV8 Lexus has ready for it and if the LS500 did as well I would have never left Lexus. However they didn't so it is what it is
Old 03-13-23, 09:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Took my 04 4R to the Indy today for an oil change. I need new brake lines as they corroded mid ship. My front bearing is bad. And a I have one wheel calliper is seized. I will admit, I haven’t been in for service in about 18 months
Old 03-13-23, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

New brake lines again? Didnt you have to have those done a couple years ago? Sounds about like my old 03 ES, its getting to that age and it sits a lot, lots of similar type stuff wrong with it

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation