Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 04:30 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yeah, gotta keep moving forward I guess. I'm glad to hear you're feeling OK afterwards. I hope insurance treats you alright.
Waiting to hear back from them. They're going over values, numbers, and all that at the moment. I'm really hoping they don't total it since I believe it can be fixed without much difficulty. Of course that'll depend on their estimated value of the car and how much it'll be to fix. Mechanically everything looks fine and the engine sounds normal upon startup. It's really just the lights and front panels that are screwed up. We'll wait and see I suppose.
Old 03-24-23, 05:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Sorry again to hear about your accident and wish for a speedy recovery. Go get your back checked out.

But I would advise you if you're physically up to it to get back on the horse, behind the wheel ASAP even if it's just around the neighborhood. I had a terrible accident in my 20s (like, stunned I'm alive..cuts and bruises) and my parents made me drive around the neighborhood with them as soon as I was able and I was like WTF at first, but I get what they were trying to do.
Old 03-24-23, 05:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Your front tires look pretty worn...

In that kind of situation, the type of drivetrain doesn't make much difference. You lost control while moving forward, and my guess is thats a function of rapidly deteriorating roads that weren't pre-treated, worn tires, RWD AWD or FWD likely wouldn't have made a difference. Only thing you can do is slow way, way down.

One thing about FWD cars, is having the drive wheels and the steering wheels being the same isn't ideal when you are in a slide, because you can't apply throttle AND have directional control...
This. The tires are to blame in this instance and the limiting factor. FWD is also by far the worst option to try and correct out of any type of slide/loss of control

This is also why I tend to ditch tires "early" even though I have found Michelins to perform well even worn past 1/2. I will NEVER forget driving my grandparents 95 maxima back to their house post work at my aunts garage in Florida rain on 2/32 12 year old economy tires. Death was near at all times when going 30 mph

Last edited by Striker223; 03-24-23 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 05:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It's always the people who drive stupid/badly who don't have insurance lol!

Sucks but it's true, I was in a major accident back in 2016 and the guy hit us so hard it threw our truck (weighed 37% more than his car) foward and crushed a 2015 Camry to the C Pillar. The guy naturally had no insurance and was in drugs so he ran. Crash itself was fine, truck still moved afterwards and I picked up most major pieces and threw them in the bed then drove out of the way of traffic. Most injury I received was to my right arm since the bed cover wouldn't close and I had to beat on it lol!

I've never had any trauma issues from crashes etc.....if I'm good I'm good. No need for any fear
Old 03-24-23, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
This is also why I tend to ditch tires "early" even though I have found Michelins to perform well even worn past 1/2. I will NEVER forget driving my grandparents 95 maxima back to their house post work at my aunts garage in Florida rain on 2/32 12 year old economy tires. Death was near at all times when going 30 mph
Same, I ditch tires around 6/32nds.
Old 03-24-23, 06:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't let my tires get much below half worn either. Tires are the one thing you don't want to skimp on in terms of quality/maintenance imo.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Sorry again to hear about your accident and wish for a speedy recovery. Go get your back checked out.

But I would advise you if you're physically up to it to get back on the horse, behind the wheel ASAP even if it's just around the neighborhood. I had a terrible accident in my 20s (like, stunned I'm alive..cuts and bruises) and my parents made me drive around the neighborhood with them as soon as I was able and I was like WTF at first, but I get what they were trying to do.
Thank you. I've got the doctor and physical therapist appoints all lined up. My accident lawyer was more adamant about me getting that done than anyone lol. I agree with you in terms of getting back on the horse. I'm going to a friend's lake house for the weekend and that's a solid 2 hour drive. I might be holding my breath going over bridges from now on but otherwise all should be fine.

It's always the people who drive stupid/badly who don't have insurance lol!
Ain't that the truth!
Old 03-24-23, 07:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I actually need to amend something I said, spinning out at 128 mph was enough to shake me for a while but that was not me driving so I am not sure it counts?
Old 03-25-23, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I actually need to amend something I said, spinning out at 128 mph was enough to shake me for a while but that was not me driving so I am not sure it counts?

Driving or not, it counts if you got a little wiser, learned something, and were grateful that you survived.
Old 03-25-23, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So this is pretty crazy. Was reading the Bimmerpost forums for the new 7 Series, and this poster hit a curb in his new 760...and the insurance company totaled it! $80,000 in damage for hitting a curb.

https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2002017

I haven't been on here for a while. In late February, in Florida in my 2+ month old 760 with 1500 mi, with wife, son and grandson, on a stretch of road with left turn lanes, I tried to get out of one and hit the curb, Two tires were blown and the front wheel was cracked. I was able to steer off the road to a safe place. Airbags did not deploy; nobody was the least bit injured. We took an Uber to dinner. BMW roadside assistance finally got the car towed to the nearest dealer. I thought with new wheels and tires I'd be back on the road soon. Not to be. After a couple of days the delaer called to say there was enough damage to send it to a body shop. I then put in a claim with my insurer (Chubb), selected a shop that was certified by Chubb (and also recommended by the dealer) and the process of doing an estimate began. This took some time because the car's parts are not yet in the database they use. (Meantime we had to fly home (NY) and ship a lot of stuff back). Thursday Chubb called me to say the car had been totaled. The left front strut tower was cracked and there was some bumper damage. The bumper damage was not an issue but to fix the strut tower (aluminum?) required essentially dismantling the entire engine compartment and then putting it back together. The estimate was about $80,000. Chubb will part out the car, which is otherwise pretty much intact, pay off my loan, and pay me the difference between the loan and the "agreed" value in the policy, which will leave me with a substantial sum. They're not doing me a favor -- it is in their financial interest not to pay for the repair. I've put in an order for a new 760. It is all a little strange, and I'll have to wait a few months (May production, June delivery)(could not locate anything that was what I wanted) but I am philosophical about it. Nobody was hurt. I get a new car, this time with B&W sound and (least of all worries) I am not going to be out of pocket (at least until they raise my rates). I gather from what I've been reading that I'll get a '24 too. Oh, and did I mention that nobody was hurt? I'll drive my X3 for a couple of months and consider myself lucky.
Old 03-25-23, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So this is pretty crazy. Was reading the Bimmerpost forums for the new 7 Series, and this poster hit a curb in his new 760...and the insurance company totaled it! $80,000 in damage for hitting a curb.

https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2002017
It's too bad the driver didn't have pictures of the damages. It does seem crazy.
Old 03-25-23, 02:56 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

If the strut tower is indeed alu, not too crazy.
Old 03-25-23, 03:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That makes perfect sense actually, it's a strut car and the tower died. If it was an a-arm car or multi link in the same situation the upper arms would bend/move/the mount ears flex out of the way (can be bent back) and the lower arms will take the majority of impact and maybe kill the subframe. Those can be changed out fairly easily....

The strut towers are not easily repaired at all and in the 7 are the items that take the hit.
Old 03-25-23, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wasn’t aware BMW was still using a strut config on the 7
Old 03-25-23, 04:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

A broken suspension piece would total a $100,000 car?

(I'm not all that knowledgable about suspensions as I am engines, etc.)
Old 03-25-23, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s not the suspension piece, it’s the aluminum unibody member that the strut is attached to is shattered.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation