Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 09:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Barn door is cool
Old 04-05-23, 04:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Barn door is cool
I would like it if there were two versions, and they sold the appropriate one in each market. But selling what should be the RHD variant worldwide just doesn't work for me.
Old 04-05-23, 05:04 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Yeah. Was just a little surprised that they did that. Definitely pros with having it. At the same time, cons are that is a longer reach to retrieve cargo. And if you come from a traditional lift up hatch, it would be different. I would prefer the clamshell design if I had to choose. Didn’t realize the X7 had the clamshell as well
I've owned our LX for 7 years and never honestly thought about the reach issue the clamshell creates, but you are right. On the Rivian, I was really impressed with the amount of cargo space with the 3rd row folded down as pictured. It is bigger inside than I anticipated. And as I've complained about many times on here, every time I see an SUV with no jump seats in the very back it reminds me of how much valuable space I'm losing in my LX for storage and makes me angry. The Rivian is likely a smaller SUV but I bet has more usable cargo space than my LX.
Old 04-05-23, 05:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Barn door is cool
Heck no, it ain't a 70s GM station wagon. Plus it's designed for RHD so here in the States and Canada it will open the wrong way if you're parallel parked.

For us, the barn door isn't very appealing. We are glad we passed on GX altogether and went for the big daddy.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I've owned our LX for 7 years and never honestly thought about the reach issue the clamshell creates, but you are right. On the Rivian, I was really impressed with the amount of cargo space with the 3rd row folded down as pictured. It is bigger inside than I anticipated. And as I've complained about many times on here, every time I see an SUV with no jump seats in the very back it reminds me of how much valuable space I'm losing in my LX for storage and makes me angry. The Rivian is likely a smaller SUV but I bet has more usable cargo space than my LX.
It really doesn't create much of a reach at least from my experience, but that's just me.

Also, you can remove the third row. There are DIY instructions on IH8Mud or here or somewhere, I've seen them. It's not hard to do from what I gather. I don't blame people, I'd consider it myself if it were more than just us two but nah.
Old 04-05-23, 06:08 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJT123
Heck no, it ain't a 70s GM station wagon. Plus it's designed for RHD so here in the States and Canada it will open the wrong way if you're parallel parked.

For us, the barn door isn't very appealing. We are glad we passed on GX altogether and went for the big daddy.

It really doesn't create much of a reach at least from my experience, but that's just me.

Also, you can remove the third row. There are DIY instructions on IH8Mud or here or somewhere, I've seen them. It's not hard to do from what I gather. I don't blame people, I'd consider it myself if it were more than just us two but nah.
When I think of "barn door" I think of the old Tahoe's that had the rear that opened with 2 split doors - one opening each way. Is that not the right term?

And on the LX clamshell and "reach", I'm 6'2 and once/year I load up the LX with all kinds of things and have to hang clothes in the very back on the 3rd row handles. I can't reach them without climbing into the back. Never dawned on me that the tailgate being folded down is likely the reason. I should try it with only the top part opened (insert Homer Simpson "Doh" gif here)

And yes I know about being able to remove the jumpseats, but when you are a family of 4 and your kids occasionally have friends joining, I always have to be able to use the 3rd row so I have to keep them in. So it becomes an issue when we go on a big trip and I am having to haul all kinds of suitcases, etc. and the jumpseats really kill the usable cargo space.
Old 04-05-23, 06:10 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

What’s the purpose of having a barn door? It didn’t bother me but I had no use for it.
Old 04-05-23, 06:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1111GS
What’s the purpose of having a barn door? It didn’t bother me but I had no use for it.
I'm not really sure what the benefit of the design would be. I remember it on 90's Tahoe's and Yukons which had the 2 barn doors. We had a 2004 GX which had the big single door. I remember when we got the LX I was happy to not have the big single door but I don't really remember why I felt that way. I don't think I could open the GX door in our garage because it swings out deeper than a traditional gate/hatch would open vertically.
Old 04-05-23, 06:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
don’t think there is any benefit. I’ve have heard that the roof may not be as structurally strong or as reinforced. So Toyota may be cutting sone costs there, also no electric motor is required . I’ve also heard that because the GX is essentially a Prado, it’s just left that way. But on the other hand, they do it for the 4Runner with a lift up gate. And all 4Runners until the current gen were sold overseas in RHD. My honest guess is that Toyota is saving money on the GX barn door. But who knows really

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-05-23 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-05-23, 06:23 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

When I think of "barn door" I think of the old Tahoe's that had the rear that opened with 2 split doors - one opening each way. Is that not the right term?
No, lol those I actually like and others do too I suppose. The whole entire door opens to the side in the GX.

And on the LX clamshell and "reach", I'm 6'2 and once/year I load up the LX with all kinds of things and have to hang clothes in the very back on the 3rd row handles. I can't reach them without climbing into the back. Never dawned on me that the tailgate being folded down is likely the reason. I should try it with only the top part opened (insert Homer Simpson "Doh" gif here)
Everyone has "doh" moments, I'm lucky to still be alive lol. FWIW we never open both to remove or take stuff like groceries out. Heavy stuff like suitcases, sure. But you don''t need to for light stuff and errands. You're taller than me and I have no trouble, ever.

And yes I know about being able to remove the jumpseats, but when you are a family of 4 and your kids occasionally have friends joining, I always have to be able to use the 3rd row so I have to keep them in. So it becomes an issue when we go on a big trip and I am having to haul all kinds of suitcases, etc. and the jumpseats really kill the usable cargo space.
Yeah, LX isn't the biggest one out there. But I wouldn't drive anything else. I rented one for my summer California trip, first time using Turo, I sent a friendly message to the owner saying how I own an LX and refuse to drive anything else especially out there and he approved me in like 30 seconds.

They should have designed the third row to be removed, but then we'd lose the power folding stuff which is pretty neat I must admit.
Old 04-05-23, 06:49 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

I really like the split gates since if you are tallish like me the upper section is easier to reach (I don't have to reach down as far) and the smaller upper section doesn't require me to move out of its way nearly as much as a one piece. The lower section is also very nice to brake rifles off of, my Jeep allows the glass to open so it is similar but not.....not good enough to use as an access point but good enough to rest even the .50s on when shooting.

I am indifferent on the single large door, I like the fact I don't have to really move around it to open/use it but the fact it blocks one entire side when open can be annoying depending on what you are doing. I would not necessarily pick it over a standard type but also wouldn't try and avoid it. It does have a huge edge when you have guys in rear facing jump seats though, much easier to leave the car that way even with rifles.
Old 04-05-23, 07:10 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

IDK about your Jeep but with an LX the "grab down" to get groceries etc. with the bottom split up is the same as or less effort than lifting it out of a car trunk. Now that I think about it we literally NEVER open the whole thing to get groceries and lighter stuff out, just the top part.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-05-23 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-05-23, 07:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
IDK about your Jeep but with an LX the "grab down" to get groceries etc. with the bottom split up is the same as or less effort than lifting it out of a car trunk. Now that I think about it we literally NEVER open the whole thing to get groceries and lighter stuff out, just the top part.
The WJ just has the glass swing up, it's almost 2 ft to reach in and the opening is not the best....
Old 04-05-23, 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The WJ just has the glass swing up, it's almost 2 ft to reach in and the opening is not the best....
same experience with the glass roll down I have. Kinda pointless. Your sequoia is that way too
Old 04-05-23, 07:28 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

same experience with the glass roll down I have. Kinda pointless. Your sequoia is that way too
Roll down rear window is such a great feature on the 4Runner. I know you don't care for it but I'll never understand why! I'd buy a 4Runner just to have that option again. I absolutely love that on nice days/nights being able to open that rear window, sunroof, etc. It's amazing.
Old 04-05-23, 07:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It's a piece of cake getting stuff out just with top part open in LX. Even easier than a trunk of a car because the groceries, etc. are more on your level.

Clamshell is awesome, there's an outlet there and speakers above when you open it. It's great to sit on and listen to the music while fueling if you've had back surgeries lol.

And yes Jill lol I simply just don't get how you don't like a roll down window, lol. I hardly ever see 4Rs with them up when it's nice out.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation