Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I absolutely would love it FOREVER, much longer than a black one I could get anytime with any model
Id love to say I would love it forever! If I get a new one maybe I will. I would get that with the flowing lines trim.

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
I test drove a previous generation AMG C43 before we bought a Macan S. Not impressed. My brother also test drove a AMG GLC 43 before buying his Macan S. Also not impressed. Minimum E Class or above for me to even have a thought about it...but still probably not.
I wouldn’t buy a C either, but I would prefer one over a Camry or Corolla. C43 is a great little car. Not a performance car but a great little luxury car. Same with the GLC, I get GLC300 loaners and like them a lot. If you like a Macan S you want something with more performance chops.
Old 04-08-23, 02:42 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Id love to say I would love it forever! If I get a new one maybe I will. I would get that with the flowing lines trim
Yes the horizontal flowing lines would be my choice too , just as I would with the previous generation S class coupe with the sexily curved lines on the panels, and they are much more classy than the more expensive carbon fibre trims.
Old 04-08-23, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yes the horizontal flowing lines would be my choice too , just as I would with the previous generation S class coupe with the sexily curved lines on the panels, and they are much more classy than the more expensive carbon fibre trims.
Yeah I like that trim a lot
Old 04-08-23, 02:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
@Striker223 How fast were you able to get the Benz V12 up to? Not a fan of the SL leather. Looks red/orange
Originally Posted by AJT123
Yeah that exterior color will look great forever, the orange I’m not so sure lol
The 6 cyl W222 only has the basic leather standard, and that interior feels very cheap IMO, need the Napa options which are standard in the 560.

That kalahari gold paint is hideous IMO
Oh I hate the color but the quality level is MUCH better than the black cars.

The interior of that SL was very very bright red, I like it a lot and since it's a special car I would actually order one with that interior....I see what you mean though. It really didn't come though well via picture, sorry.

I only went up to 80 with one launch, I wanted to be respectful since it's not my car and it's $105k still. I have a feel for the car though and don't get me wrong it's ULTRA nice but not exactly my taste. If I had someone to drive me around it would be, I would also require the full spec rear seat since as it stand my current car has more amenities back there.

The noise level is slightly louder than my W12 but the ride is more isolated. Very impressive but not the same "vibe" of car as top spec A8, felt fat/large when pushed.

Totally agree on the Napa package being necessary, it still surprised me how genuinely unimpressive it was even for being just an S400. I also was not too impressed with the overall solidity of controls/door/etc but the Maybach was better all around and inline with what I expected.

Base interior. I was disappointed, none of the shiny bits felt like/were metal to my touch. None was cold and the wheel when tapped sounded quite plastic. There was more play in the fit than I was expecting....

Buttons had a good feel. Seat controls didn't, felt flimsy IMO and I didn't like the fact the memory buttons were plastic.

Handles didn't, didn't feel like metal to me/flexed and didn't inspire the confidence I was expecting. Door cards have a nice visual design and in the up level cars the leather is done very very nicely.

Don't get me wrong though, super nice car but I'm just comparing it to cars that cost 100k more...on it's own merits it's VERY nice.
Old 04-08-23, 03:05 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Is that the matching orange peel interior upgrade? Does it come with an orange scented cabin atomizer fragrance?
The gold one actually had decent paint, the Maybach would be a 6.5/10 on my scale but still acceptable for the most part once corrected.

All cars I looked at had the fragrance system and Burmeister audio so yes lol!
Old 04-08-23, 03:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The door handles are metal, at least they are on my S560. The vents are tipped in metal, and all the trim along the base of the wood trim is metal. All the switches are tipped in metal. All of those parts you felt were substandard in the S450 but were how you expected in the Maybach are exactly the same between the two cars, those metal/metalized plastic materials are all exactly the same. The only differences are the materials used on the seats, dash and headliner. Its interesting how your perception of the overall car makes those little details feel different (I feel exactly the same way). The silver metal surround of the airbag is plastic, you can imagine for safetys sake that can't be metal, but the surrounds of the switches and the switches themselves are metal.

Just having the napa leather on the seats and doors and console makes such a huge difference.

The Maybach feels like a pig because it is a pig lol, its 10 inches longer than the LWB (regular) S Class and not designed to be sporty at all. If you're driving the car yourself there is no reason to get the Maybach.

My car has the disigno/manufaktur paint and its still not great, Its unit to unit, I have noticed the 223 seems to have nicer paint,

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-08-23 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-08-23, 04:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The door handles are metal, at least they are on my S560. The vents are tipped in metal, and all the trim along the base of the wood trim is metal. All the switches are tipped in metal. All of those parts you felt were substandard in the S450 but were how you expected in the Maybach are exactly the same between the two cars, those metal/metalized plastic materials are all exactly the same. The only differences are the materials used on the seats, dash and headliner. Its interesting how your perception of the overall car makes those little details feel different (I feel exactly the same way). The silver metal surround of the airbag is plastic, you can imagine for safetys sake that can't be metal, but the surrounds of the switches and the switches themselves are metal.

Just having the napa leather on the seats and doors and console makes such a huge difference.

The Maybach feels like a pig because it is a pig lol, its 10 inches longer than the LWB (regular) S Class and not designed to be sporty at all. If you're driving the car yourself there is no reason to get the Maybach.

My car has the disigno/manufaktur paint and its still not great, Its unit to unit, I have noticed the 223 seems to have nicer paint,
To be totally honest I didn't even re-check the controls on the Maybach! I mostly only inspected the items that make it a Maybach and the leather package. It didn't even occur to me to pay attention to the same points I did on the S450...

When you say capped do you mean it's a thin metal layer? None of those areas felt cold to the touch like they do on my A8s and don't feel like metal in comparison but I'll take your word for it if I'm wrong.

100% agree the Maybach is not for a driver, it doesn't really interest me for that exact reason but lord I had to practically drag my dad out of the dealer since he wanted it bad! It may end up in his garage lol!
Old 04-08-23, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a thin layer of metal over a plastic part, I am sure your A8 is the same way (the D5 certainly is, I haven't spent as much time in D4s). Whether or not they feel cold depends on the environment, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Metal does not always feel cold to the touch.

Mass market cars do not use solid metal parts for anything
Old 04-08-23, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, Like with Rolls-Royces, Maybachs, in general, are designed to be limos, with Jeeves up front driving in his tailored-suit and cap, and you and your guests feasting on Grey-Poupon sandwiches in back. Having said that, however, there is obviously nothing wrong with driving one yourself....in my youth, although I never chauffeured for a living, like my best friend at the time, we differed from most teens in that we absolutely loved driving big heavy American luxury sedans, and didn't laugh at them as "Old-Person" cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-23 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-08-23, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Driving a Maybach by yourself is like choosing a Suburban over a Tahoe when you only ever drive yourself. Why? The driving experience is largely the same...the difference is in the backseat and cargo experience. I also love driving big heavy luxury sedans obviously, but I don't want to drive a limo around.
Old 04-08-23, 04:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Its a thin layer of metal over a plastic part, I am sure your A8 is the same way (the D5 certainly is, I haven't spent as much time in D4s). Whether or not they feel cold depends on the environment, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Metal does not always feel cold to the touch.

Mass market cars do not use solid metal parts for anything
Ah. No on the D4s it's actually metal all the way though to the electrical switch to the point the metal gets cold and can frost over if you open the doors when it's cold out. Plus you have to remember the production figures are a hell of a lot lower for my cars than they S-class and the base versions have plastic buttons/controls

You can see what I mean here.....no metal to be found and this is how most A8s are inside not like mine.
Old 04-08-23, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Te metal buttons on the S Class will frost over too, I've had that happen. The vents also will frost over when the air is on really cold if its humid.
Old 04-08-23, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Driving a Maybach by yourself is like choosing a Suburban over a Tahoe when you only ever drive yourself. Why? The driving experience is largely the same...the difference is in the backseat and cargo experience. I also love driving big heavy luxury sedans obviously, but I don't want to drive a limo around.

The way I see it, driving a limo yourself self can be a very peasant experience.....but parking one by yourself, especially in today's conditions, can be another story LOL. Of course, many large sedans today park themselves for you. If my memory is correct, the Lexus LS460 was the first large sedan to have that self-parking feature, although Ford actually introduced it on one of their low-priced vehicles...go figure. Either way, self-parking or not, there obviously has to be space for a large vehicle to park. You are fortunate enough to have a large multi-car garage and a big driveway...many others are not.
Old 04-08-23, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why would driving a limo be any more enjoyable than driving the normal vehicle version of the vehicle? The wheelbase is so long they would be really annoying. I’ve never driven one, but I have ridden in them, did just 2 days ago. They don’t ride any better than a luxury sedan.
Old 04-08-23, 04:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Minimum E Class or above for me to even have a thought about it...but still probably not.
Makes sense, E-Class has always known to be the standard "real Mercedes". It may not be top of the line but it's 100% a proper Mercedes Benz minus the god awful CAFE mandated 2.0t engines. Always been known that way pretty much.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation