Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 04:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why would driving a limo be any more enjoyable than driving the normal vehicle version of the vehicle? The wheelbase is so long they would be really annoying. I’ve never driven one, but I have ridden in them, did just 2 days ago. They don’t ride any better than a luxury sedan.
Next car is Escalade, we absolutely want the ESV. Why? Why not. I want my Caddy as long and big as possible.

(This is TN where roads are HUGE, I understand it's not like here everywhere and a car that big would be cumbersome in other areas.)

Still, largest possible Escalade please.
Old 04-08-23, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why would driving a limo be any more enjoyable than driving the normal vehicle version of the vehicle? The wheelbase is so long they would be really annoying. I’ve never driven one, but I have ridden in them, did just 2 days ago. They don’t ride any better than a luxury sedan.
Why? Simple. All else equal, the longer the wheelbase, the smoother the ride, the fewer bumps you feel, and more comfortable it is to drive and cruise, although I agree that parking can be quite another issue. But, as I see it, one can enjoy comfort behind then wheel as mush or more as riding in back or as a passenger.

That, BTW, is why older Lincoln and Cadillac stretch-limos are still popular overseas with dictators and Heads of State. North Korea's Kim-Jong-Un, for example, a noted auto-enthusiast, has a whole fleet of older stretched Lincolns, some from the 1970s when they were truly massive and dinosaur-sized. Apparently they are kept running somehow, even without any formal trade with the U.S. in replacement parts. As I understand it (although much of what goes on in that country is a mystery), he sometimes drives them himself. I won't get into politics here, but it may also be somewhat hypocritical on his part, since he considers the U.S., who built those cars, as his enemy.
Old 04-08-23, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Next car is Escalade, we absolutely want the ESV. Why? Why not. I want my Caddy as long and big as possible.

(This is TN where roads are HUGE, I understand it's not like here everywhere and a car that big would be cumbersome in other areas.)

Still, largest possible Escalade please.
Seeing that you like to drive your SUV offroad, you are actually choosing a vehicle with less utility for you. The only difference is cargo space...the seating position space is all exactly the same...third rows are a little better in the ESV/Suburban but not much. For a highway vehicle I would get the Suburban because I need the cargo room with 3 rows in place, but if its going to be driven around town I would much rather have the Tahoe.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? Simple. All else equal, the longer the wheelbase, the smoother the ride, the fewer bumps you feel, and more comfortable it is to drive and cruise, although I agree that parking can be quite another issue. But, as I see it, one can enjoy comfort behind then wheel as mush or more as riding in back or as a passenger.
Have you ever ridden in or driven a stretch limo? Like I said, I was in one day before yesterday. They do not ride better than a luxury sedan, my S Class rides better. Its true that longer wheelbases impart a better ride, but there is a point of diminishing return. Do you think its more enjoyable to drive a bus or RV or a car? I have driven all 3 and the car is much more enjoyable to drive. A limo is not enjoyable to drive, its for people to be driven around in and its about space and amenities inside and the appeal someone wants to be seen in when they get into or out of one. Honestly? I'd much rather ride in a regular sedan or an SUV than a limo. Limos flex and creak...just not meant to be that long.

You will get just as much driving enjoyment out of a highly optioned S Class as you will a Maybach, the Maybach only adds legnth for no benefit of the driver, and baller status looks.

Now, I went from a SWB LS460 to an LS460L and the payoff in that length was worth it. Gives you real backseat room, the look of the car is better, and the ride is better, but to go LONGER than that? I see no benefit.
Old 04-08-23, 05:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Seeing that you like to drive your SUV offroad, you are actually choosing a vehicle with less utility for you. The only difference is cargo space...the seating position space is all exactly the same...third rows are a little better in the ESV/Suburban but not much. For a highway vehicle I would get the Suburban because I need the cargo room with 3 rows in place, but if its going to be driven around town I would much rather have the Tahoe.

I'm not taking an Escalade off road lol. It's just to have because I want a big huge black or red Cadillac with a honkin' V8.

Either size would be fine, I just like the long ones.

LX engine is perfectly satisfactory don't get me wrong but the last gen Escalade was seriously quick, mid 5s 0-60 all while hearing a Corvette V8 roar. Last gen is the one we are looking at eventually. The new ones are still fine but acceleration has taken a noticeable drop because they're heavier. I also have to have a column shifter in a GM truck.
Old 04-08-23, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think once you drive the current gen...thats what you will want. It blows the previous one out of the water. Its on an entirely different level, and is a vehicle even I would actually consider. Outside of a Range Rover, its the most compelling SUV on the road, IMO. The previous gen is decidedly mediocre.
Old 04-08-23, 05:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Have you ever ridden in or driven a stretch limo?
Limos are also compromised from the structure as well as they are stretch third party

It really doesn't create much of a reach at least from my experience, but that's just me.

I looked at my hatch tonight on my new SUV . I never noticed Toyota it lower and easier to reach. You can also sit on it. Very strong I also have two lights and a speaker too. I love how they finished the rear.

Old 04-08-23, 05:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Limos are also compromised from the structure as well as they are stretch third party

I looked at my hatch tonight on my new SUV . I never noticed Toyota it lower and easier to reach. You can also sit on it. Very strong I also have two lights and a speaker too. I love how they finished the rear.

I'm not critiquing your car per se but I HATE how Toyota slants the cargo areas downward like that. Stuff always rolls/slides out of the back in my sequoia and I would so much rather have a raised lip.

Not really a "problem" just a strong personal preference....

On the other subject of long Maybachs I agree with Steve that there is a point the added length just makes the drive worse. I'm not even sure if it helps the ride.....100% not for me unless I had a driver but I car I tested lacked features I would want/already have in my car.
Old 04-08-23, 05:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Te metal buttons on the S Class will frost over too, I've had that happen. The vents also will frost over when the air is on really cold if its humid.
I believe you, I just wasn't sure since they didn't feel as solid or noticeably cold to me. I guess I just don't like them as much lol!

It has been a while since I looked at a W222 since the last time I did was all the way back when I was picking out my 4.0 A8, and at that time I was analyzing the performance more than anything on the inside.
Old 04-08-23, 06:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'm not critiquing your car per se but I HATE how Toyota slants the cargo areas downward like that. Stuff always rolls/slides out of the back in my sequoia and I would so much rather have a raised lip.

Not really a "problem" just a strong personal preference....

On the other subject of long Maybachs I agree with Steve that there is a point the added length just makes the drive worse. I'm not even sure if it helps the ride.....100% not for me unless I had a driver but I car I tested lacked features I would want/already have in my car.
Totally agree with sliding around and maybe a lip. But in new 4R this is rubber and it’s a soft sticky type rubber. So everything stays put. My 04 is carpeted and has a net

Old 04-08-23, 06:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Totally agree with sliding around and maybe a lip. But in new 4R this is rubber and it’s a soft sticky type rubber. So everything stays put. My 04 is carpeted and has a net

Okay that's not as bad, in my sequoia it's slick plastic.......I can't so much as open the hatch without bending down and preparing to catch whatever tries to fall out. Absolutely hate it. My Jeep has a lip and the floor is slightly inclined forward
Old 04-08-23, 06:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Okay that's not as bad, in my sequoia it's slick plastic.......I can't so much as open the hatch without bending down and preparing to catch whatever tries to fall out. Absolutely hate it. My Jeep has a lip and the floor is slightly inclined forward
I didn’t know there was a lip on a Jeep. That is pretty cool. You can always put a mesh net at the back of the Sequoia
Old 04-08-23, 06:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I think once you drive the current gen...thats what you will want. It blows the previous one out of the water. Its on an entirely different level, and is a vehicle even I would actually consider. Outside of a Range Rover, its the most compelling SUV on the road, IMO. The previous gen is decidedly mediocre.
I believe you.

I have yet to scrutinize (the older) one, though I have my expectations. It won't ride as well as the LX and won't have the build quality but it will drive like a hot-rod, they make sure you hear that monster engine in those from the factory lol.
Old 04-08-23, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I believe you.

I have yet to scrutinize (the older) one, though I have my expectations. It won't ride as well as the LX and won't have the build quality but it will drive like a hot-rod, they make sure you hear that monster engine in those from the factory lol.
But the new one drives as well and is nicer inside and still drives like a hot rod!

One of my huge pet peeves about cars with a hatch is stuff falling out of the hatch when I open it, so I would love a split hatch/gate like the LX/X7/RangeRovers have. Plus we back into the garage and we have to make sure to position the Pacifica forward enough for the hatch to open without hitting the back wall, and that would be easier in a vehicle with a split gate.
Old 04-09-23, 06:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

striker what year and miles was the maybach s650?

nevermind, found it! 2019, 24.5K mi.

https://fastbuy.crownmercedes.com/ex...requency=month

TTV12, shockingly not as smooth as my W12 and the car overall is nowhere near as responsive or poised. I didn't expect it to be but still.....
I would also require the full spec rear seat since as it stand my current car has more amenities back there.
The noise level is slightly louder than my W12 but the ride is more isolated. Very impressive but not the same "vibe" of car as top spec A8, felt fat/large when pushed.
Totally agree on the Napa package being necessary, it still surprised me how genuinely unimpressive it was even for being just an S400. I also was not too impressed with the overall solidity of controls/door/etc but the Maybach was better all around and inline with what I expected.

Base interior. I was disappointed, none of the shiny bits felt like/were metal to my touch. None was cold and the wheel when tapped sounded quite plastic. There was more play in the fit than I was expecting....

Buttons had a good feel. Seat controls didn't, felt flimsy IMO and I didn't like the fact the memory buttons were plastic.

Handles didn't, didn't feel like metal to me/flexed and didn't inspire the confidence I was expecting. Door cards have a nice visual design and in the up level cars the leather is done very very nicely.
i understand how much you like your audis but most of your comments about a MAYBACH S-Class seem intended just to state how much better you think your audis are, lol.

Don't get me wrong though, super nice car but I'm just comparing it to cars that cost 100k more...on it's own merits it's VERY nice.
trash the car then say it's very nice.

Why would driving a limo be any more enjoyable than driving the normal vehicle version of the vehicle? The wheelbase is so long they would be really annoying.
depends on the type of driving one does a lot of the time. on the highway, i'll take the longer wheelbase!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
agreed.

Last gen (Escalade) is the one we are looking at eventually. The new ones are still fine but acceleration has taken a noticeable drop because they're heavier. I also have to have a column shifter in a GM truck.
enjoy the cracker jack interior... it's terrible. new one BLOWS it away.
Old 04-09-23, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But the new one drives as well and is nicer inside and still drives like a hot rod!

One of my huge pet peeves about cars with a hatch is stuff falling out of the hatch when I open it, so I would love a split hatch/gate like the LX/X7/RangeRovers have. Plus we back into the garage and we have to make sure to position the Pacifica forward enough for the hatch to open without hitting the back wall, and that would be easier in a vehicle with a split gate.
‘You can get a mat that has a small lip. Or put a cargo net at the rear.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation