Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 02:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
4.99% is $13,369 in interest on a $89K RX500h where I am. Very high to me. Standard Lexus rate is 7.2%. Very very high.
My point was, rates have gone up dramatically, and 5% is actually on the lower end of what is actually available right now. Rates are way up, on both sides of the coin. My savings account is paying 4.3% today (actually 4.8% thanks to a referral boost), whereas one year ago today that very same account was paying 0.35%.
Old 04-12-23, 04:11 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I was just in Sarasota and saw two X7 M50i’s and six X7 40i’s and there is more money down in the area I was in than a lot of places. I saw more Bentleys and Rolls than I have ever seen in a small place. You must live in the only area in America with more M50i’s than 40i’s. I’m sorry if I don’t believe you but the sales numbers just don’t pan out.
I’ve seen much more expensive cars/suvs than X7 50i but I see very few of them. Mostly 40i. Many more mid size loaded, many GLE/Coupe AMGs. X5M is probably about same as X7 50i. To think about this most folks that buy X7 are most likely into other things than fastness, like plusher ride and roomier 3rd row. So they are happy with 40i. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yeah it's the wrong car

haha but a Toyota lover didn’t catch it!
4.99 is actually not bad these days. But I also saw lower ads like 1.99 on Grand Wagoneer. They must not sell them at all to offer this low.
Originally Posted by geko29
My (now 2 generations old) BMW 3-series has the cruise controls on a stalk below the turn signal, in an incredibly intuitive layout that I’m going to miss horribly when I replace it this summer. Our Audi also has them on a stalk, in a layout I’d consider very good, but not as good as mine.
Trust me you will not miss it. Controls on steering wheel make way more practical sense than off steering wheel. My Lexus had it on a stalk too. Will yours come with new iDrive 8 or 8+?

Last edited by 1111GS; 04-12-23 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 04:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
haha but a Toyota lover didn’t catch it!
4.99 is actually not bad these days. But I also saw lower ads like 1.99 on Grand Wagoneer. They must not sell them at all to offer this low.
I actually did catch it.. but the 4.99 is what stuck out.

4.99 is actually not bad these days
I guess I have a different mindset on this interest rates. It’s way too high IMO.

But I also saw lower ads like 1.99 on Grand Wagoneer. They must not sell them at all to offer this low.

where do you see 1.99%?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-12-23 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 04:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Trust me you will not miss it. Controls on steering wheel make way more practical sense than off steering wheel. My Lexus had it on a stalk too. Will yours come with new iDrive 8 or 8+?
Oh I've driven many cars (both rented and owned) with them on the steering wheel. They are better than the stalk that Lexus used to use, for sure. The one on our RX350 was infuriating. But not better than the one BMW used to use, where everything is so intuitive it can be done without looking. Like a turn signal--and I don't want those on my steering wheel either.

The new car will have iDrive 8. 8.5 is being done during refreshes, and 9 is totally different hardware.
Old 04-12-23, 06:35 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Oh I've driven many cars (both rented and owned) with them on the steering wheel. They are better than the stalk that Lexus used to use, for sure. The one on our RX350 was infuriating. But not better than the one BMW used to use, where everything is so intuitive it can be done without looking. Like a turn signal--and I don't want those on my steering wheel either.

The new car will have iDrive 8. 8.5 is being done during refreshes, and 9 is totally different hardware.
I sure don’t want signals on there either. But cruise controls oh yes. I feel so much more comfortable using. MB does the same. Speaking of signals, back in the day when I had a motorcycle. This one Suzuki I wouldn’t need a signal switch. When it sensed you turing, it turned on the signal. I’m not aware of any others would do that. Is it intuitive?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

where do you see 1.99%?
I knew this question would pop up. Here you go

Last edited by 1111GS; 04-17-23 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 07:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I was just in Sarasota and saw two X7 M50i’s and six X7 40i’s and there is more money down in the area I was in than a lot of places. I saw more Bentleys and Rolls than I have ever seen in a small place. You must live in the only area in America with more M50i’s than 40i’s. I’m sorry if I don’t believe you but the sales numbers just don’t pan out.
Maybe so. God we went through this same thing with the 200s. They're everywhere here, and yes they only sold like 4k LCs and 5k LXs total per year.

I don't care if you don't believe me but this is getting old. I don't tell people they're imagining things or infer they're lying.

I have said so.many.times. that this is heavy, really really expensive truck/SUV area. People tend to spring for the whole 9 yards with trucks and SUVs, biggest engine and all.
Old 04-12-23, 08:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

I sure don’t want signals on there either. But cruise controls oh yes. I feel so much more comfortable using. MB does the same but on opposite side for some reasons.
Every car I drove for my first 18 years had CC on the steering wheel, so I was definitely very used to it. But when I got my E90, the way they've set up the stalk is just super natural. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Speaking of signals, back in the day when I had a motorcycle. This one Suzuki I wouldn’t need a signal switch. When it sensed you turing, it turned on the signal. I’m not aware of any others would do that. Is it intuitive?
Kind of defeats the purpose of a turn signal, IMO. The purpose of the signal is to tell other motorists that you ARE GOING TO turn. Activating automatically when you're already turning is of limited value. That said, non-cancelling turn signals was one of the things that annoyed me about my Honda. The clicking is way too quiet to hear over about 3mph, and the light isn't super-bright either, so you really have to remember to push the cancel button. So a system that detected that you are no longer turning and cancelled the signal would definitely be welcome.
Old 04-12-23, 08:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I
I knew this question would pop up. Here you go

That says Wagoneer. The Grand Wagoneer is the more sought after version. The pic there is Grand Wagoneer
Old 04-12-23, 08:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I think it's hilarious that they dropped the Hemi in the Grand Wagonneer for 1-2MPG when the difference will narrow considerably in real world use versus EPA testing. It's almost as they're trying to tout the GW as somewhat efficient. Wrong, regardless of how well the EPA is placated by them.

Takes a lot of boost to keep these massive things moving quickly.
Old 04-12-23, 08:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I think it's hilarious that they dropped the Hemi in the Grand Wagonneer for 1-2MPG when the difference will narrow considerably in real world use versus EPA testing. It's almost as they're trying to tout the GW as somewhat efficient. Wrong, regardless of how well the EPA is placated by them.

Saw a new Grand Wagoneer the other day.

Really liking the look and style.
Old 04-12-23, 09:49 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Hey! That looks very familiar! The W12 uses 4 3 into 1 headers like that, one exhaust system for each bank of 3 that meet up behind the trans then those 4 branches combine into 2 with a H pipe
now you can tell people your W12 is Paul Rosche inspired! do you know of anyone who's fitted different headers to that engine? i'd be curious to see how the sound changes
Old 04-12-23, 11:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

LOL. Welcome to used Mercedes ownership.

Turns out I need motor mounts which doesn’t surprise me. They’re rubber and deteriorate, and I’ve been driving the car pretty aggressively so I probably caused this.

All this is to the tune of $1600 plus tax, at least at the dealer. Holy Moly.

Waiting on an Indy estimate, bet they can do it for a grand or less. This Indy place the owner or his son drives a 1995 SL500 so they know these cars well.

Old 04-12-23, 12:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If those are original then your car had a great run on those mounts.
Old 04-12-23, 12:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Good thing the test cycle doesn't use much boost lol! Screw real world practicality, it's all about regulations. They would rather you use 4 gallons to move a given distance than 2 if the 2 gallons of fuel burn .1% less cleanly.
Old 04-12-23, 01:00 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had a few Wagoneers as rental cars including one with the HO Hurricane motor (thanks National!). The around town fuel economy is indistinguishable but the Hurricane is noticeably quieter.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation