Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 01:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
LOL. Welcome to used Mercedes ownership.

Turns out I need motor mounts which doesn’t surprise me. They’re rubber and deteriorate, and I’ve been driving the car pretty aggressively so I probably caused this.

All this is to the tune of $1600 plus tax, at least at the dealer. Holy Moly.

Waiting on an Indy estimate, bet they can do it for a grand or less. This Indy place the owner or his son drives a 1995 SL500 so they know these cars well.
I thought the mounts would be more. Like $3000+
Old 04-12-23, 01:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
If those are original then your car had a great run on those mounts.
That’s good to know. Yep, original. Transmission mount looks new they said.

I don’t consider this a mechanical problem, motor mounts are a wear item when you’re dealing with old cars.

And I’m now about 99% sure my driving was the straw that caused it lol. It’s Impossible to not wind out the motor and I don’t recall this when I bought it, and I checked.
Old 04-12-23, 01:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I thought the mounts would be more. Like $3000+

I don’t consider this a mechanical problem, motor mounts are a wear item when you’re dealing with old cars.

And I’m now about 99% sure my driving was the straw that caused it lol. It’s Impossible to not wind out the motor and I don’t recall this when I bought it, and I checked.
They are actually not bad at all on those cars to replace, parts are around $400 each from dealer or $114 for both from FCP euro and you will never need to buy them again due to the warranty. The actual job is not very hard, labor should not exceed 4 hours unless t hey are ripping you off or have no idea what they are doing. You are lucky you have an M113 not an M117 engine since the earlier ones are dealer only for mounts and harder to replace.

https://mbparts.mbusa.com/oem-parts/...JjaCBSZXN1bHRz

https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Ben...&b=10&d=218&v=

https://www.google.com/search?q=2001...2QycdJqHsr9sQM

Jack up the engine/trans as a unit from the bottom of the bellhousing once you break the mounts loose and change them out from below. Even so that dealer price is mercifully low, cost for my LS460 was $2500, the 4.0 costs $1000 just for parts for EACH front mount and there are also 3 trans mounts, and the W12 is $300 for each of it's 4 mounts for parts and Audi wants around 3k to replace them lol!
Old 04-12-23, 02:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I've had a few Wagoneers as rental cars including one with the HO Hurricane motor (thanks National!). The around town fuel economy is indistinguishable but the Hurricane is noticeably quieter.
So just for the record you're saying there's no noticeable difference?

People want to hear V8s in these I think. Escalades and Denalis have very aggressive intake and exhaust notes from the factory. I'd much rather hear a V8 that lets engine noise in than a silent 6. I've never heard a Hemi personally up close but those are supposed to be the best sounding American V8s according to some, I'm familiar with a GM V8 roar which is just about perfect so it must be good lol.

Plus, shoving 510hp into 3.0 liters in a Chrysler, this motor will be a DISASTER reliability wise. That is a crazy stressed engine just from the start as opposed to a V8 that just loafs along relying on the actual pistons for power, not turbo boost.
Old 04-12-23, 03:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

People want to hear V8s in these I think. Escalades and Denalis have very aggressive intake and exhaust notes from the factory. I'd much rather hear a V8 that lets engine noise in than a silent 6. I've never heard a Hemi personally up close but those are supposed to be the best sounding American V8s according to some, I'm familiar with a GM V8 roar which is just about perfect so it must be good lol.

Plus, shoving 510hp into 3.0 liters in a Chrysler, this motor will be a DISASTER reliability wise. That is a crazy stressed engine just from the start as opposed to a V8 that just loafs along relying on the actual pistons for power, not turbo boost.
The Hemi has an extremely distinct roaring noise no other V8 has due to the head design, you can hear them a mile off and know exactly what it is. At races a 440 and 426 sound nothing alike even on the same car with similar exhaust setup. It's more of a shouty type sound vs a rumbling tone.......the GM sound is the most generic/characterless/bland tone of all the V8s so if you like that you will really like the Hemi or a Lexus/Toyota UR engine that has an intake/exhaust since those sound musical IMO.

510 out of 3.0 is not unreasonable, you are seeing 850 out of 4.0s and similar out of 3.0s in 10 year old German engines these days as a given so I have no reason to doubt the 3.0 is going to have issues unless Chrysler did something stupid.
Old 04-12-23, 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

saw this Mint condition Chevrolet today. It was very admirable to see how basic it really was. Such a nice design. Still looks good IMO

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-12-23 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 03:51 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

that's why it's important to eaaaase into the power and avoid excessive kickdowns lol

or if you're waiting to pull out of a street and merge, manually pull the gear stick back into 2nd so it's already in the right gear when you want the power... then once you're fully underway pop it back into D so it'll upshift like normal
Old 04-12-23, 04:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
The Hemi has an extremely distinct roaring noise no other V8 has due to the head design, you can hear them a mile off and know exactly what it is. At races a 440 and 426 sound nothing alike even on the same car with similar exhaust setup. It's more of a shouty type sound vs a rumbling tone.......the GM sound is the most generic/characterless/bland tone of all the V8s so if you like that you will really like the Hemi or a Lexus/Toyota UR engine that has an intake/exhaust since those sound musical IMO.
510 out of 3.0 is not unreasonable, you are seeing 850 out of 4.0s and similar out of 3.0s in 10 year old German engines these days as a given so I have no reason to doubt the 3.0 is going to have issues unless Chrysler did something stupid.
What stock mainstream engines have 850 horsepower??? My point just was why ditch the V8, absolutely no reason. Real world fuel economy will be pretty much the same as Tango confirmed up there.

BTW V8 sound is subjective. Hearing you call a Chevy V8 bland sounding is crazy to me. I don't think any V8 is bland sounding. Out of all my V8s the LS430s sounds the best, ripping silk. The Toyota 5.7 has a very distinct rumble that I love when you lay into it and haven't quite heard in a V8 before. The Mercedes just roars and sounds American which I love.
Old 04-12-23, 04:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

What stock mainstream engines have 850 horsepower??? My point just was why ditch the V8, absolutely no reason. Real world fuel economy will be pretty much the same as Tango confirmed up there.

BTW V8 sound is subjective. Hearing you call a Chevy V8 bland sounding is crazy to me. I don't think any V8 is bland sounding. Out of all my V8s the LS430s sounds the best, ripping silk. The Toyota 5.7 has a very distinct rumble that I love when you lay into it and haven't quite heard in a V8 before. The Mercedes just roars and sounds American which I love.
For V8 engines it is by far the most generic sounding lol! Mercedes V8s from that gen sound like OHC mustang engines for the most part but I mean that in a good way, the gen after sounds similar the to UR engines but with more undertones since they are larger.
Old 04-12-23, 04:49 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Maybe so. God we went through this same thing with the 200s. They're everywhere here, and yes they only sold like 4k LCs and 5k LXs total per year.

I don't care if you don't believe me but this is getting old. I don't tell people they're imagining things or infer they're lying.

I have said so.many.times. that this is heavy, really really expensive truck/SUV area. People tend to spring for the whole 9 yards with trucks and SUVs, biggest engine and all.
But you do realize that allocations for dealers on M50i X7’s are limited compared to 40i’s right?
Old 04-12-23, 04:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Around the city, no difference from what I observed. They were both 12-13mpg in my hands in the city while on the highway the Hurricane was 1mpg higher cruising at 80mph. I will note the city portion frequently involved heavy traffic and I had 2 more occupants in the Hurricane than I did with the 6.4L Hemi.

I'm not worried about the longevity of this motor honestly. It's been under development for a very, very long time so I feel confident they did their homework. I personally think the Hurricane provided a more luxurious atmosphere than the 6.4L V8 but as an enthusiast I loved the roar of the V8.
Old 04-12-23, 05:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

For V8 engines it is by far the most generic sounding lol! Mercedes V8s from that gen sound like OHC mustang engines for the most part but I mean that in a good way, the gen after sounds similar the to UR engines but with more undertones since they are larger.
No, see I think my Mercedes V8 is trying to sound like a Chevy V8 with a hint of OHC import, wildly successfully I might add. That's what my ears hear. It's subjective.

Originally Posted by patgilm
But you do realize that allocations for dealers on M50i X7’s are limited compared to 40i’s right?
Yes. For god's sake. I am done with this topic.
Old 04-12-23, 05:53 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

No, see I think my Mercedes V8 is trying to sound like a Chevy V8 with a hint of OHC import, wildly successfully I might add. That's what my ears hear. It's subjective.

Yes. For god's sake. I am done with this topic.
Well you are totally off, the Mercedes M113 was copied off the ford 4.3 to some extent and are unusually similar. No V8s try and sound like a generic Chevy tone since NO ONE really likes a Chevy V8 sound and is why people praise the tone of other engines yet don't really comment on the SBC/LS/LT family that much......I'm not saying it is bad or that I don't like it but it just doesn't have any well, character to it. Mustang OHC engines with the off firing order have a lumpy, booming tone, Dodge Hemis have the shouting tone that gets really aggressive in higher RPMs, Toy/Lex has a really melodic song, AMG engines are loud and brash with a very mechanical sound, Ferrari has the scream, etc....

Chevy V8s just sound like a V8 with no tonal changes with RPM or really any coloration at all.
Old 04-12-23, 06:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Well you are totally off, the Mercedes M113 was copied off the ford 4.3 to some extent and are unusually similar. No V8s try and sound like a generic Chevy tone since NO ONE really likes a Chevy V8 sound and is why people praise the tone of other engines yet don't really comment on the SBC/LS/LT family that much......

Chevy V8s just sound like a V8 with no tonal changes with RPM or really any coloration at all.
Not to my ears. Nobody likes a Chevy V8 sound? Is that seriously your position here?

This doesn't sound good?

Are you out of your mind?

Also, the now dead AMG 6.2 was praised for sounding American. They do, I heard PLENTY of them living in Los Angeles when they were current.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-12-23 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 06:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's why it's important to eaaaase into the power and avoid excessive kickdowns lol

or if you're waiting to pull out of a street and merge, manually pull the gear stick back into 2nd so it's already in the right gear when you want the power... then once you're fully underway pop it back into D so it'll upshift like normal
Oh and yeah just for the record I avoided heavy throttle from rest from the start, I've never even floored it from rest since acquisition bc I know it's hard on mounts among other things.

But yeah it's hard to avoid winding it out through the first couple of gears, it's like MB designed the car to be driven that way every time you take off.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation