Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 07:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Lol that's because fuel in Canada is much more than here. I wouldn't mind. It was only an extra 5 bucks per tank when I had my Acura TL.
where is WA? Canada it’s like $7/US gallon for premium. Just the idea of putting premium in a 14 year old car would bother me. My v8 runs at higher peak performance with premium, but I just put regular
Old 04-19-23, 07:50 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
where is WA? Canada it’s like $7/US gallon for premium. Just the idea of putting premium in a 14 year old car would bother me. My v8 runs at higher peak performance with premium, but I just put regular
Western Washington. Last I checked premium is 4.45 at the cheapest. Few stations around here where it's .20 more than regular. Some it's like 60 or 70.
Old 04-19-23, 08:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Eh, it's alright. Thanks anyways. My friend should be able to advise me if it's a good purchase or not. Besides, I'm sure reliability varies quite a bit on German cars. Someone may not even bother to service the oil in 80k miles but someone else might be religious about maintenance. We'll see tomorrow and I'll share my experience.
Hahahahaha! Good luck!

I hope you have 5-8k laying around for repairs, VANOS, PCV, all coolant pipes, electric coolant pump failures, thermostat failures, valve cover leak, oil filter housing leaks (seal can blow and kill the engine), Oil pan likes to leak, lifter failure (probably fine on an 09 though), body control module burn out, AC evaporator core corrodes and fails, serpentine belt likes to auto-eject and the tensioner is fragile, window regulators are weak, starters can die at random, CAN bus failure, and it likes to eat coils+plugs in as little as 20k miles. However don't take my word for it from the 6 of these I have worked on/suffered though.........ask the owners!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704199
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788731

Just stay away from anything BMW that isn't the B58 engine and the 4 cyl version of it. The V8s are beyond hope and not even worth mentioning unless you are okay with regular 5k+ repair bills. BMWs will run forever however......as long as you keep feeding it money regularly.
Old 04-19-23, 08:57 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is a nice set up Too bad Toyota doesn't do multi-mode 4WD like they did Sequoia and V6 4Runner where you could go 2WD to full time 4WD and leave it forever. Do you have a trailer brake control?
In the past I always ran a stronger truck so I never had to count on trailer brakes because I always feared they wouldn't work due to random failure.
It would be a nice bonus to have it maybe, I just could never get past the idea of having to count on them.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Ah yes, I bet that is no match for the 5.7. My previous travel trailer weighed about 4k loaded. It still had the aerodynamics issue that your boat does not, but the 5.7 didn't break a sweat. It has to work quite a bit harder with the current trailer.
4K is a good amount of weight.
The power to pull it is one thing and a 5.7 will do it all day long and not stress about it and stopping on a dime when loaded is important.
Longer wheel base is better for maneuverability at highway speeds especially if a fast lane change is needed.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yeah man that's a serious camper, love it! You're a camper person like I'm a boat person.
Yeah me too
I like boats better but I do think about camping sometimes.
But I just get lazy cuz I like hotel rooms better plus wifey is not a camper and that would be a hard sell. lol

I am very excited to go look at a 2009 BMW 528i XDrive in the morning.

I mean, look at that. How is this not one of the most attractive cars out there? I heard there was a lot of hate back in 2003/2004 when this appearance came out but I think it's neat as hell.
One hell of a good looking car! Oh yeah.

Saw a new BMW today and not sure what it was but it was the goofiest thing I seen in a long time since the Nissan Cube.
Maybe not as bad as the Cube but it was hard on the eyes.

Short squat thing, goofy slits in the bumper on the back, and the stance of the car made it look like it was trying to look tough but it was all poser looking to me, not sure what model tho.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I hope you have 5-8k laying around for repairs, VANOS, PCV, all coolant pipes, electric coolant pump failures, thermostat failures, valve cover leak, oil filter housing leaks (seal can blow and kill the engine), ...
This is why I keep coming back to CL.
Ya'll help me keep my sanity when I start thinking about buying cars I know nothing about. lolol

I been looking hard at the BMW and VW suv's cuz I see them all the time down here.
Caddys too but I just sit back and listen to what ya'll say and I'll be sticking with my Lexus for now.
Old but reliable.
Old 04-20-23, 05:55 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
...and it likes to eat coils+plugs in as little as 20k miles. ...
This particular bit has always amazed me. Like... how exactly do they manage to do this.
Old 04-20-23, 05:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I personally never hated those 5 Series like a lot of people did. I think they've aged well.

BUT, that 5 Series is one of the most unreliable cars BMW ever made unfortunately...

Lol that's because fuel in Canada is much more than here. I wouldn't mind. It was only an extra 5 bucks per tank when I had my Acura TL.
Premium is roughly $1 more a gallon than regular here and elsewhere on the eastern seaboard, so more like $17-20 more a tank
Old 04-20-23, 07:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I loved the E60, especially when they had the sport package styling. I owned a 2010 528i for a couple of years and it was a peach - some of the earlier issues were rectified and it had the updated iDrive and bigger mirrors that carried over to the F10.
Old 04-20-23, 08:26 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Yeah me too
But I just get lazy cuz I like hotel rooms better plus wifey is not a camper and that would be a hard sell. lol
There are pros and cons to both. Obviously, what's cool about camping is you can go pretty much literally anywhere.

But there's nothing like being on the lake, chillin' on a boat-- it's like a whole different world out there to me than land.

Wonder if campers or boats are more of a PITA, I'm guessing boats.
Old 04-20-23, 08:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

We do enjoy camping, but owning and maintaining a travel trailer is definitely work. Lucky for me, I actually enjoy doing it.

There is yearly/routine maintenance and inspections - like repacking the wheel bearings, checking brakes and lights, winterizing, etc. It shares many of the same systems as a house, just on a smaller scale. The challenge with that is that they get bounced around going down the road, so that can cause additional issues. Just like in a house, the furnace, kitchen appliances, AC, plumbing system, water pump, water heater, etc. all need to be maintained and all of them can have issues at any time. This is why it's incredibly important, at least in my experience, to buy a high quality trailer as some of them really stink.

Setup at the campground is work but not bad. I can do it in about 30 minutes - things like unhitching from the truck, plugging in to power and water (and sewer if available at the campground), leveling the trailer, extending the slide out, etc. It's really not bad.

It all leads to excellent family time in the great outdoors. I do enjoy boating, but am much more relaxed at the campground. Sitting around the campfire, outdoor cooking, fresh air, etc. For me, nothing beats it. It doesn't hurt that we can then each climb into our nice, comfortable beds at night in a great, climate controlled environment, and take a hot shower in the morning.

I also find it to be great to travel distance with. While I can't pull into a drive thru restaurant while towing it, we can easily pull into rest areas for anything we need. Just pull in, and head back into the trailer to make lunch, go to the bathroom, etc. It really is a traveling house for us. It was a true vacation life saver for us through the worst parts of COVID, when we weren't ready to fly, go to hotels, etc.
Old 04-20-23, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

One hell of a good looking car! Oh yeah.
that's about my least favorite looking 5 because of the goofy headlights and tail lights.

but side profile is good. a friend had one of those and i enjoyed going in it.
Old 04-20-23, 11:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah me too
Definitely don’t want to go camping if it’s something the wifey doesn’t want to do. You could come back divorced. One or two times camping for us each year, that’s about all we need
Old 04-20-23, 11:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I always say rouging it for me is a hotel without room service
Old 04-20-23, 12:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's about my least favorite looking 5 because of the goofy headlights and tail lights.

but side profile is good. a friend had one of those and i enjoyed going in it.
Yep, when you can’t see the outside is always better with that model, even though I am never a fan of most BMW interiors.
Old 04-21-23, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

W........T.............F.............

Old 04-21-23, 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
W........T.............F.............

Demand is high for these.