Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
a
Door lights are not something that a 4 runner does better, the low mounted light is better functionally and also acts as a warning the dot is open at night.
That is a different purpose. The 04 lights up the entire lower door panel, next I drive at night. I will show you. I prefer the concealed look, better attention to detail. .

The lights on my new 4R door I don’t like as it omits the light from the door pocket and sticks out light an after thought

here are pics of the front and back doors of my 4Runner. I like the concealed lighting better

The grab handles are hilarious, you really think a static, truck like hunk of plastic is better than a leather wrapped unit that is soft damped so when you let go it doesn't even make noise as it retracts slowly back to the default state?
I don’t agree here. I find the fixed over head pulls far more classy and luxurious. I have fixed soft touch pulls in my 04 and they are just better than the 21 lever style. I do agree that the slow return of the 460 is nice. But I just think the fixed pulls are nicer

Toyota still does fixed pulls on the Toyota Century. I like the look much better…just like the 400

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-23-23 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-23-23, 10:20 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is a different POV . The 04 lights up the entire lower door panel, next I drive at night. I will show you. I prefer the concealed look, better attention to detail. .

The lights on my new 4R door I don’t like as it omits the light from the door pocket and sticks out light an after thought

here are pics of the front and back doors of my 4Runner. I like the concealed better
Nice catches on all of these.

I also like that first gen LS400 concealed door light, NEVER would have noticed it.
Old 04-23-23, 11:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Nice catches on all of these.

I also like that first gen LS400 concealed door light, NEVER would have noticed it.
‘Thanks. Most don’t know Lexus and Toyota used to do all these little details. They even used to have a marketing campaign that said “even the nuances have nuances”

‘’This IMO is the finest door panel Lexus/Toyota has ever made. The memory seat buttons are a flaw but the rest is outstanding IMO.

rear door did not cheap out.

2008 LX570 went with a cheaper design

Now look at the top LX570 and the bottom LX470. Toyota used to hand tape the upper door frame. You can see where they reduced the effort in 2007 redesign

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-23-23 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 11:46 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

‘Thanks. Most don’t know Lexus and Toyota used to do all these little details.

‘’This IMO is the finest door panel Lexus/Toyota has ever made. The memory seat buttons are a flaw but the rest is outstanding IMO.

rear door did not cheap out.

2008 LX570 went with a cheaper design
The single hidden light was cost cutting to use one vs two lights. That's all it is.

That is nowhere near the nicest door panel.....most of it is plastic lol!
Old 04-23-23, 11:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The single hidden light was cost cutting to use one vs two lights. That's all it is.

That is nowhere near the nicest door panel.....most of it is plastic lol!
‘The LX470 is all soft touch. Top to bottom. The 570 was not, it’s all plastic on the lower part. I had a LX470 in early 2001. The 570 door panelling is nowhere near as nice. Just look at the two piece armrest door pull

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-23-23 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-23-23, 12:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

‘The LX470 is all soft touch. Top to bottom. The 570 was not, it’s all plastic on the lower part. I had a LX470 in early 2001. The 570 door panelling is nowhere near as nice. Just look at the two piece armrest door pull
This is correct. 470 had a better interior because it was designed in Lexus' heyday.

Our 570 interior has strengths but weaknesses too. The stereo and climate (not nav) are solid metal. The steering wheel is one of the best, probably the best and highest quality I've ever experienced in any vehicle. But the doors aren't nearly as nice and neither are the plastics inside. This is really picking because any LX is a really nice place to be. The leather isn't very soft but it is high quality and extremely, extremely durable. I had the tow cover hitch underneath the backseat I folded down onto it, didn't scratch a thing or poke a hole whereas a vehicle with less tough materials would have been SOL.

Not sure if 470s interior was as durable just because it was so nice, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-23-23, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is correct. 470 had a better interior because it was designed in Lexus' heyday.

Our 570 interior has strengths but weaknesses too. The stereo and climate (not nav) are solid metal. The steering wheel is one of the best, probably the best and highest quality I've ever experienced in any vehicle. But the doors aren't nearly as nice and neither are the plastics inside. This is really picking because any LX is a really nice place to be..
100% well said. There were a lot of excellent updates for the 570. HVAC went from one-zone to four-zone. The 570 was far more capable, powerful and stronger. More features as well such cooling seats. There are also some nice little touches in the 570 as well such as rear seats gained height adjustments (now deleted on LX600). Cool box for your beverages. More state of the art safety features. I think it’s just fun to look back at Toyota and Lexus and look up and observe some of the smaller touches they used to provide.

Land Cruiser and LX used to vent the 3rd row windows. They were powered as well.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-23-23 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 01:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

100% well said. There were a lot of excellent updates for the 570. HVAC went from one-zone to four-zone. The 570 was far more capable, powerful and stronger. More features as well such cooling seats. There are also some nice little touches in the 570 as well such as rear seats gained height adjustments (now deleted on LX600). Cool box for your beverages. More state of the art safety features. I think it’s just fun to look back at Toyota and Lexus and look up and observe some of the smaller touches they used to provide.

Land Cruiser and LX used to vent the 3rd row windows. They were powered as well.
One thing I will note for the record is that most 570s, they have additional wood around the window controls which does make a difference. It was part of a popular package. Wood ashtrays in the rear doors.
Old 04-23-23, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For some reason. Really like this NISSAN
Old 04-23-23, 02:36 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I was referring to the lights on the door mirrors, not the lights on the door bottom

Last edited by xGS350x; 04-23-23 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 02:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xGS350x
I was referring to the lights on the door mirrors, not the lights on the door
Oh those lights. I have them on my new SUV. Under the mirror right? I don’t think Toyota or Lexus that anymore
Old 04-23-23, 02:47 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh those lights. I have them on my new SUV. Under the mirror right? I don’t think Toyota or Lexus that anymore
Lol yea man. I was confused because I thought almost all cars have door lights. Only problem I have with it is that they’re not bright enough and they don’t light up soon enough when you approach the car, but I think that’s just because my car is older
Old 04-23-23, 03:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

I'm working on my best friends RX and lent him the 430, him, me, my wife, and my other best friend went to shoot but all drove separate and stayed past close and that allowed me this picture.
Old 04-23-23, 04:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Lol yea man. I was confused because I thought almost all cars have door lights. Only problem I have with it is that they’re not bright enough and they don’t light up soon enough when you approach the car, but I think that’s just because my car is older
What year is your GS? Bulb probably are original. Plus you might be use to brighter LEDs these days.

I'm working on my best friends RX and lent him the 430, him, me, my wife, and my other best friend went to shoot but all drove separate and stayed past close and that allowed me this picture.

That is pretty awesome. How many are missing from your fleet? 32 cylinders all together there? Nice

BTW. It was fun taking about the door lights. We stopped at a pre owned place where we know the operator.

here is the way the Germans do it. I really like how the Germans cut no corners.

Audi

S Class

Lexus GS 450h

What is the set up on your W12?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-23-23 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 05:45 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I find the amounts of wood in those interiors a little much
I agree. Too much wood is tacky.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I can confidently say the design of the seat controls had zero impact on my enjoyment of my LS460s.
Agreed yet again. Seat controls, who cares? Lol. When I drove that 14 LS last spring, I thought the appearance of those controls was pretty neat actually.

I think LS400 is the best interior design and assembly. Then 430. The 460

‘’just look at the ugly push button with the plastics converging compare to the classy key.
Tough call between the 400 and 460 but I'd probably have to lean to the 460. I think the design (such as the stitched leather design on the doors), the leathers, woods, etc is pretty attractive. The instrument cluster looks amazing as well. Wish the windows were a bit bigger on the car but overall this has been one of my favorite designs.

In fact I joined CL 4 years ago this past March and the first thread I created was to gather some information about the LS460. I just don't want to deal with a brake actuator at the most random time.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation