Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 08:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

My best friend came over to annoy me on my day off and kill time before the veterinarian meeting he had at his company today. It also just so happened that his car "conveniently" needed an oil change so he just used my home tools to change it with the "convenient" oil change set he just happened to have with him lol! I made him pay for it by making fun of his rims being the size of my rotors.

Oh and his filter was stuck so he needed the tool for it that wasn't here so I ended up having to remove it for him. Come to me on my day off, use my tools, and STILL make me work? The nerve of some people lol!

Last edited by Striker223; 05-04-23 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-04-23, 10:15 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

My best friend came over to annoy me on my day off and kill time before the veterinarian meeting he had at his company today. It also just so happened that his car "conveniently" needed an oil change so he just used my home tools to change it with the "convenient" oil change set he just happened to have with him lol! I made him pay for it by making fun of his rims being the size of my rotors.

Oh and his filter was stuck so he needed the tool for it that wasn't here so I ended up having to remove it for him. Come to me on my day off, use my tools, and STILL make me work? The nerve of some people lol!
Those rotors are huge!
Yeah, I learned a long time ago not to tell anyone what you do cuz they will always show up wanting to borrow your tools or fix stuff for them, I can pretty much count on it. haha

Ok, I make exception for a friend once in a while and I have a friend/neighbor who messes up his boat wiring a few times now and needs help and that's ok cuz he is a friend and I don't mind.

But I find it best not to let neighbors or people know too much or you get leaned on a lot and -NO- I don't want to spend my time fixing their stuff
and chasing down everyone's electrical GREMLINS haha

Spoiler

Gonna pull this tiny SMD chip with my hot tweezers, ok going in...

Boom, And it's out!

Last edited by Margate330; 05-04-23 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-05-23, 08:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

deleted duplicate

Last edited by AJT123; 05-05-23 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-05-23, 09:35 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

TGIF Everyone!
See anything interesting or fun car related, please post it up for us!!! <<< >>>
Old 05-05-23, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
TGIF Everyone!
See anything interesting or fun car related, please post it up for us!!! <<< >>>

We were talking Miata a few days ago…literally right.

So today… I saw one
Spoiler

Old 05-05-23, 05:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Those rotors are huge!
Yeah, I learned a long time ago not to tell anyone what you do cuz they will always show up wanting to borrow your tools or fix stuff for them, I can pretty much count on it. haha

Ok, I make exception for a friend once in a while and I have a friend/neighbor who messes up his boat wiring a few times now and needs help and that's ok cuz he is a friend and I don't mind.

But I find it best not to let neighbors or people know too much or you get leaned on a lot and -NO- I don't want to spend my time fixing their stuff
and chasing down everyone's electrical GREMLINS haha

Spoiler

Gonna pull this tiny SMD chip with my hot tweezers, ok going in...

Boom, And it's out!

Nice!

Yeah most people don't know where I live but he is allowed to come over and work on his stuff lol! We've known each other over 14 years now etc.....he just happens to be entertained antagonizing me
Old 05-05-23, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You may (?) already be aware of this, but shop at Giant Food, and the store, wth your Bonus card, as points accumulate with sales, will pay a part of your Shell gas bill. Shell is about all I ever put in my Encore GX...and most of the other vehicles I have owned since Chevron left the D.C. area.
They have been doing this for like 10 years lol. But yes, I always use my points AND the 20c off on Tuesdays. I always hate when I have no points and then I get home and my wife ordered groceries after I bought gas lol
Old 05-05-23, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They have been doing this for like 10 years lol.
Yes, that program has been around a while....I've used it since its inception. But it wasn't meant to be a dumb or needless post...I had no idea where you and your wife do your grocery shopping. I do a lot of shopping at Giant, but not for everything. I shop for various things at various grocery stores....wherever what I am looking for is cheapest, assuming it is carried at all. And it sometimes pays to shop around as long as you aren't wasting too much gas doing do...inflation in the grocery stores has been outrageous in last two years, and still continues.
Old 05-05-23, 07:55 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We were talking Miata a few days ago…literally right.
So today… I saw one
Spoiler

How do you do that? lol
I haven't seen a Miata driving around in ages.

BUT- I did see a standalone Genesis dealer today right by my house right next to the Hyundai dealer and saw some construction going on so I might drive by tomorrow and snap some pics for the Genesis dealer thread.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Nice!

Yeah most people don't know where I live but he is allowed to come over and work on his stuff lol! We've known each other over 14 years now etc.....he just happens to be entertained antagonizing me
That's what friends are for. haha

They have been doing this for like 10 years lol. But yes, I always use my points AND the 20c off on Tuesdays. I always hate when I have no points and then I get home and my wife ordered groceries after I bought gas lol
I was shocked you bother to save money on gas and get points but in a way I'm not.
I've met so many people who are good with money who don't like throwing it way.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that program has been around a while....I've used it since its inception. But it wasn't meant to be a dumb or needless post...I had no idea where you and your wife do your grocery shopping. I do a lot of shopping at Giant, but not for everything. I shop for various things at various grocery stores....wherever what I am looking for is cheapest, assuming it is carried at all. And it sometimes pays to shop around as long as you aren't wasting too much gas doing do...inflation in the grocery stores has been outrageous in last two years, and still continues.
We have no Giants around here so I just pull into a local Mobil or most of the time I just use the gas station next door to me but now you have me thinking what the hell kind of gas am I putting in my car.
How would I know?
Do they have to tell us the fuel brand by law on the pump somewhere cuz I never noticed it, just regular, mid, and high test is all I ever see.
Old 05-05-23, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

BUT- I did see a standalone Genesis dealer today right by my house right next to the Hyundai dealer and saw some construction going on so I might drive by tomorrow and snap some pics for the Genesis dealer thread.
\
we have a couple here. They are standalone but still in the same Hyundai parking lot.
Old 05-05-23, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

We have no Giants around here so I just pull into a local Mobil or most of the time I just use the gas station next door to me but now you have me thinking what the hell kind of gas am I putting in my car.
How would I know?
Do they have to tell us the fuel brand by law on the pump somewhere cuz I never noticed it, just regular, mid, and high test is all I ever see.
While Chevron, with its excellent Techroline additives, and Shell, also with excellent additives, are (arguably) the two highest-quality brands of fuel available in the U.S., any Tier-1-rated fuel should provide enough detergent additives to keep an engine and fuel system reasonably clean and free from the need for periodic cleaning or de-carbonization. With DI (Direct-Injection) engines, though, even using the best fuels can sometimes lead to carbon buildup in a few places because of the fuel-spray patterns, but it is still better then using cheap crap-fuel without any additives.

Here is a list of Tier-One Brand fuels. It includes the Mobil fuel you have been using, so you probably won't have to change any of your fuel-purchases.

https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/
Old 05-05-23, 09:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

How do you do that? lol
I haven't seen a Miata driving around in ages.

That's what friends are for. haha

I was shocked you bother to save money on gas and get points but in a way I'm not.
I've met so many people who are good with money who don't like throwing it way.

How would I know?
Fuel points are great, my wife INSISTS on working one day a week at the Kroger 5 min from the house just for the employee discounts.....I can't argue since it's only 6 hours and the discounts are quite good plus she shops for the week after she is done working.
Old 05-06-23, 02:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The 760 is about $650 more per year in fuel costs compared to the 750.

I really don't think too much about it. I wouldn't have my SUVs if the gas was a concern. That is the way I look at.
how many miles a year do you drive?

and you gush over v12's endlessly, so why don't you get one?

that 760 is very nice i'm sure, but a ton of money to own, run, maintain. an i7 is faster i'm sure, quieter, smoother, and costs FAR less to own, run, maintain.

the v12 is obsolete.
Old 05-06-23, 02:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

all this talk about saving a dollar here or there on gas by magical combinations of cards, points, particular days, particular fill up places makes me chuckle... if it works for you great. i've got better things to do with my time and can save that much so easily in other ways that don't take any effort.
Old 05-06-23, 05:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It takes no effort, or I wouldn't do it lol. The system links my Giant points to the credit card I use to pay for gas, and the points are automatically earned and automatically redeemed. If you spend $500 on groceries you get .50c off a gallon and when you go to use your CC it comes up and tells you how many points you have and you click yes to use them.
Same. I just tap my phone. Discount is automatic

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-06-23 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation