Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-23, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

That’s exactly what I was told Striker. That’s my plan, I’ll order the tires and have them installed then let MB align it. I have a little ways I can go before I swap them out, but I already feel a little hydroplane in the front so I’m going to do it sooner rather than later.
Old 05-10-23, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That’s exactly what I was told Striker. That’s my plan, I’ll order the tires and have them installed then let MB align it. I have a little ways I can go before I swap them out, but I already feel a little hydroplane in the front so I’m going to do it sooner rather than later.

Are you going to stick with two new Michelins of the same type in the front? That's probably a good idea, so that you don't mix two different tread-patterns front and rear.

But, if not, you might want to try a couple of comparable Vredestein tires up front. They are a Dutch brand, not yet well-known in the U.S., but have gotten very high marks from what reviews they have. My brother has had a set of four on his Kia Sportage for a couple of years, and absolutely loves them...they were a replacement for the original Kumhos.
Old 05-10-23, 09:42 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have Vredestein all terrain tires on my ML, I like them so far. Everything that’s not a sports car or SUV gets Continental DWS 06 high performance all seasons at my house though.

Interesting you recommend an alignment every time the tires are changed. Honestly I haven’t many alignment problems to date - I always get new tires mounted at Discount Tire and then have the alignment checked when I take my cars in for service at the dealer some time later. Only once has it been out of spec.
Old 05-11-23, 07:33 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I have Vredestein all terrain tires on my ML, I like them so far. Everything that’s not a sports car or SUV gets Continental DWS 06 high performance all seasons at my house though.

Interesting you recommend an alignment every time the tires are changed. Honestly I haven’t many alignment problems to date - I always get new tires mounted at Discount Tire and then have the alignment checked when I take my cars in for service at the dealer some time later. Only once has it been out of spec.
I've just always noticed a difference in off center response when I get it redone, I have yet to be able to change tires and have the spec be correct. It's usually firmly in the "good enough" range but I like the car to feel a certain way when I'm pushing it hard.

I also paint index my cars adjustment fasteners to help "encourage" the techs to actually adjust stuff vs just claim they did.
Old 05-11-23, 07:44 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

Name a quick detailer or a spray wax/sealant/lsp that you're using. I ran out of Reload/BSD/FK425 and I really can't decide. No, TW ICE is not really available over here. Sonax's ceramic QD (not the coating or the... "spray and seal" thing, their labels are pretty confusing) isn't easily available either, weirdly enough. Thinking... lots of things.
Old 05-11-23, 08:06 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Name a quick detailer or a spray wax/sealant/lsp that you're using. I ran out of Reload/BSD/FK425 and I really can't decide. No, TW ICE is not really available over here. Sonax's ceramic QD (not the coating or the... "spray and seal" thing, their labels are pretty confusing) isn't easily available either, weirdly enough. Thinking... lots of things.

Go to Walmart and thanks Steve.
Old 05-11-23, 09:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I bought some of this too. It works great and I really like the fine mist spray.
Old 05-11-23, 01:10 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Not available over here. Basically forget that Turtle exists. Might be a different label but even the other turtle "graphene" ones are not exactly convenient to get.
Old 05-11-23, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Continentals are also good rubber.....i had Continental Contipros, stock, on two of the Buicks I've owned. Depending on the specific tire, some tire-rating sites rank them as good as Michelins.
Old 05-11-23, 03:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Not available over here. Basically forget that Turtle exists. Might be a different label but even the other turtle "graphene" ones are not exactly convenient to get.
Here in the U.S. Turtle Wax has expanded their lineup with new products that perform well with innovative packaging.

A couple of quick detailers that I have been using and that work well are Nextzett Perfect Shine and Gyeon Quick Detailer. Maybe these brands are available where you are.
Old 05-11-23, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you going to stick with two new Michelins of the same type in the front? That's probably a good idea, so that you don't mix two different tread-patterns front and rear.
They're Pirellis, and yeah I'll just buy the same tires.

But, if not, you might want to try a couple of comparable Vredestein tires up front. They are a Dutch brand, not yet well-known in the U.S., but have gotten very high marks from what reviews they have. My brother has had a set of four on his Kia Sportage for a couple of years, and absolutely loves them...they were a replacement for the original Kumhos.
They don't make anything in the right sizes unfortunately.

I'd try Gyeon Ceramic Detailer

Old 05-11-23, 06:10 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Was about to get it but for some reason I couldn't find Cure earlier. Found it now, looks like this'll be the combo.
Old 05-11-23, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just got a bottle of Cure too...
Old 05-12-23, 05:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They're Pirellis, and yeah I'll just buy the same tires.
OK, sorry, I did not remember you having Pirellis. I thought you swiped out the original stock tires for a set of Michelins.

Slightly off-topic, but my next door neighbor's Bronco Sport came stock with Michelins...so Ford at least didn't cheap out there.
Old 05-12-23, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, sorry, I did not remember you having Pirellis. I thought you swiped out the original stock tires for a set of Michelins.
These are the tires that replaced the Michelins that replaced the stock tires...

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation