Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah OE control arms are $4,000...

Went and drove a few cars this afternoon, drove an Aviator, a Telluride and a CX-90....will post another thread about them
You said, in a previous post, that you didn't want to spend more than 70K......I couldn't find it to quote. Did you edit or delete it?

Anyhow, if that is true, have you ruled out a new Enclave? Even top-line Avenir versions (unless there is a big dealer markup) can often he had for under 70K...they start at 57K. You would probably get a smoother ride, though, if you stayed with the lower-line trims with the taller-profile tires. Sometimes I just don't understand this obsession with automakers with putting the roughest-riding tires on the top-trim versions, which, like with the Avenir, are supposed to be for max-luxury and comfort.

The Enclave, in at least the lower-trim lines, has a very smooth ride, low noise levels, and, IMO, is a pleasure to drive. The only flies in the ointment are its lower level of reliability compared to smaller Buicks....and the same goofy L-motion E-shifter that was in the Lacrosse. But the base versions start under 45K....you could get one and have a fair amount left over in the bank. I think you will also like the Buick infotainment screens....they are among the easier ones in the industry to use, although that may (?) go down the drain for 2024 with the new 19-inch-wide screens on the Encore GX and Envista.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-23 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-15-23, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I like the way the Enclave drives, but not how it looks. I’d just keep a minivan…
Old 05-16-23, 04:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Very interested to hear your thoughts. I didn't like the Aviator as much as I thought I would and haven't driven the CX-90.
I quite liked the Aviator when I sat in it at the auto show a few years ago. But last year I had an Explorer as a rental, and it was so utterly horrid to drive that I can't imagine anything based on it not being a POS.
Old 05-16-23, 05:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

I like the way the Enclave drives, but not how it looks. I’d just keep a minivan…
the enclave st looks pretty good to me. and i'm sure it's quieter and nicer inside than the pacifica you have.
and besides something like an escalade, it had the roomiest 3rd row i've been in.

Old 05-16-23, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I quite liked the Aviator when I sat in it at the auto show a few years ago. But last year I had an Explorer as a rental, and it was so utterly horrid to drive that I can't imagine anything based on it not being a POS.
The Aviator really does feel totally different from the Explorer, especially with the air suspension.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the enclave st looks pretty good to me. and i'm sure it's quieter and nicer inside than the pacifica you have.
and besides something like an escalade, it had the roomiest 3rd row i've been in.

I had one for a week in Orlando. Its a nice vehicle, I just don't like the egg shaped minivanlike looks, thats what I'm trying to get away from...if I was good with that look I would just stay with a van and keep the utility. I don't have any issues with how the Pacifica drives or feels inside, its a nice vehicle too I just want something that I like looking at, caring for and driving. The Enclave wouldn't be that.

This is really what I want, it just makes no sense for me to buy a vehicle like this given how hard my family is on it. Plus financially I don't want $3,500 in car payments, so if I got this I would want to commit to buying the S560 out of the lease and keeping it for a few years which I don't know if I would actually do...I really am way better off getting a much cheaper vehicle for the family vehicle.

I don't love the front end of the Telluride, but I like everything else about it and its hard to beat that for $53,000. Ride and drive too its perfect, very premium feeling and nice and comfortable inside with great tech (automated driving is considerably better than even the Mercedes), its good looking and has nice tech, will take us anywhere we want to go but not so nice I will cringe every time the dog jumps into the front seat:

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-16-23 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-16-23, 06:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah. Telluride doesn’t look good on that ugly front end.
Old 05-16-23, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Aviator really does feel totally different from the Explorer, especially with the air suspension.
The REAL difference is in the interior, and quality of materials used. Past Lincoln SUVs were little more than Fords with some wood-tone trim and leather. The Corsair, Aviator, and Navigator all three let you know you are in a true Lincoln.

Old 05-16-23, 06:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah. Telluride doesn’t look good on that ugly front end.
Thats its worst angle, I like it a lot from every other angle, I especially like the rear

But all in all its a really tough package to beat...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The REAL difference is in the interior, and quality of materials used. Past Lincoln SUVs were little more than Fords with some wood-tone trim and leather. The Corsair, Aviator, and Navigator all three let you know you are in a true Lincoln.
It goes beyond that, the Aviator feels different on the road, its much more isolated from the road etc. Like I said, especially with the air suspension.

Aviator is on my short list, but the refresh is coming soon...it will look more like the new Nautilus:

My wife has a soft spot for Lincolns too. Her mom had a 87 Town Car when she was a kid and she loved it, and her mom always has longed for another Lincoln...that would mean something to her to have a Lincoln. I'm looking for whatever angle I can get lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-16-23 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-16-23, 06:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

My coworker has an Aviator and other than the early transmission recall he really loves it. No other issues with it over the last 3ish years
Old 05-16-23, 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Issue with the Aviator is optioned the way I would want (which is not loaded) its $80,000. For upper 80s I could have an X7...skimp on the options to bring the Aviator down to $70k...and its not as compelling.
Old 05-16-23, 07:22 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Are they going for sticker or are they back to dealing?
Old 05-16-23, 07:52 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Thats its worst angle, I like it a lot from every other angle, I especially like the rear

I too think it's its best view. And the front is its worst. I have not sat inside one of these but see it here and there. The other day I saw one from behind in cement color. And then later saw a RR in similar color. From a distance, the two do resemble a bit and for a second I wonder if the RR is that much more a better SUV for the its cost. Lol.
Old 05-16-23, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

hardly surprising. different price points / target customers.

This is really what I want, it just makes no sense for me to buy a vehicle like this given how hard my family is on it. Plus financially I don't want $3,500 in car payments, so if I got this I would want to commit to buying the S560 out of the lease and keeping it for a few years which I don't know if I would actually do...I really am way better off getting a much cheaper vehicle for the family vehicle.
if you really want to save money, why not just buy the pacifica out of the lease and drive it into the ground? this is what i may do with the santa fe.

and everyone i've met with a telluride loves it.
Old 05-16-23, 08:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Are they going for sticker or are they back to dealing?
Originally Posted by 1111GS
I too think it's its best view. And the front is its worst. I have not sat inside one of these but see it here and there. The other day I saw one from behind in cement color. And then later saw a RR in similar color. From a distance, the two do resemble a bit and for a second I wonder if the RR is that much more a better SUV for the its cost. Lol.
Its quite nice inside, especially in the SX-P with the suede headliner.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if you really want to save money, why not just buy the pacifica out of the lease and drive it into the ground? this is what i may do with the santa fe.

and everyone i've met with a telluride loves it.
Problem is I hate the Pacifica lol. If I liked it that would be one thing. I want a nice SUV I enjoy driving on trips and stuff like that.
Old 05-16-23, 10:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Does your wife dislike truck based SUVs? I can’t remember. If so check out a Tahoe or something, you can get a plennnnnty nice one for 70 grand even if it’s not High Country trim.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation