Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-23, 10:17 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Alex has the Grand Highlander interior review on his channel.
Old 05-16-23, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Does your wife dislike truck based SUVs? I can’t remember. If so check out a Tahoe or something, you can get a plennnnnty nice one for 70 grand even if it’s not High Country trim.
She doesn't want something that big, although I think once she had it she would be fine. Issue is my garage is low and a Tahoe wouldn't fit, its too tall. I would want at least a Premier trim, which starts at $73k with no options..optioned how I would want its $84k.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-16-23 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-16-23, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Alex has the Grand Highlander interior review on his channel.
Haven’t watched it yet. My prediction is acres of cheap plastic.
Old 05-16-23, 11:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I really do think the Lexus TX could be perfect for you.
Old 05-16-23, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Me too......
Old 05-16-23, 11:27 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Does your wife dislike truck based SUVs? I can’t remember. If so check out a Tahoe or something, you can get a plennnnnty nice one for 70 grand even if it’s not High Country trim.
Too thiccc lol!
Old 05-16-23, 12:06 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Me too......
Why? You seem to highly speak of X5/7, GLE/GLS450 and are not a fan of GLE350. This TX will most likely drive like a GLE350 but more cumbersome.
Old 05-16-23, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Why? You seem to highly speak of X5/7, GLE/GLS450 and are not a fan of GLE350. This TX will most likely drive like a GLE350 but more cumbersome.
What I speak highly of and would want depends on what vehicle I'm replacing, If I were replacing the S560 with an SUV I wouldn't consider a TX or any other transverse/FWD crossover. i would want something like an X5, X7, GLE or GLS. If replacing the Pacifica my budget is less, and since I won't be driving it often I am fine with a transverse/FWD based vehicle.

I am totally confident the Hybrid Max powertrain will feel better than the GLE350...I have not driven an RX500h but I haven't heard anything about the feel of the powertrain not being good. I'm sure the 48v system improves the GLE350 as well.
Old 05-16-23, 02:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Problem is I hate the Pacifica lol. If I liked it that would be one thing. I want a nice SUV I enjoy driving on trips and stuff like that.
does you wife have any vote? i believe she likes the pacifica, and drives it more than you.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Me too......
seems like it's a trade off of brand, function, and cost.

if cost were not the issue you'd get a GLS450 or something.

if brand were not the issue you'd get a Telluride.

if function were not the issue you'd get a CX-90 (maybe).

the TX may be the best compromise because it has a respectable 'enough' brand, should be functional 'enough', and cost will be acceptable.

personally i expect the TX to be dreadful and totally boring - a big RX with typical FWD driving characteristics and the new reportedly terrible infotainment. but it will sell to those looking for a respectable brand, a reliable large package, at a reasonable price.

Old 05-16-23, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does you wife have any vote? i believe she likes the pacifica, and drives it more than you.
She doesn't care what she drives. She really doesn't. She likes the Pacifica literally only because she doesnt have to worry about the kids opening their doors into other cars. Of course she will have a say, but she looks forward to not driving a minivan anymore. I'm also the one that has to deal with the problematic issues with the Pacifica, and we are both ready for a vehicle that we won't be concerned about reliability with.

seems like it's a trade off of brand, function, and cost.

if cost were not the issue you'd get a GLS450 or something.

if brand were not the issue you'd get a Telluride.

if function were not the issue you'd get a CX-90 (maybe).

the TX may be the best compromise because it has a respectable 'enough' brand, should be functional 'enough', and cost will be acceptable.
Thats pretty much what it always is lol

Brand doesn't bother me at all. The Telluride being a Kia is totally fine with me. Remember, we had a Kia Sedona. I just want a nice comfortable and good looking vehicle that I enjoy having around, and it may be that if the Grand Highlander/TX is the right vehicle and the GH ticks those boxes it would be the choice over the TX.

personally i expect the TX to be dreadful and totally boring - a big RX with typical FWD driving characteristics and the new reportedly terrible infotainment. but it will sell to those looking for a respectable brand, a reliable large package, at a reasonable price.
As compared to a minivan? Its a family vehicle, it doesnt need to be exciting. I wouldn't get one for myself as a daily. The Lexus brand attracts me because of the service and I am so familiar with Toyota/Lexus as a brand. I would like to have pickup/dropoff and loaners etc.
Old 05-16-23, 05:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Okay what is the "problem" with transverse-engine cars? I want to say my Dad had a Cadillac with one way back in the day and it was a great engine.

I've driven many and I think owned one at one point, my Acura. What am I missing?
Old 05-16-23, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It goes beyond that, the Aviator feels different on the road, its much more isolated from the road etc. Like I said, especially with the air suspension.
Oh, I agree that the Aviator, with or without the air-suspension, is a big cut above the Explorer, despite being on the same platform. I don't remember driving an Aviator with the air-suspension, but even the conventional one I sampled made the Explorer look and feel like a piece of junk. If you remember the review I did on the latest-model Explorer, I was very unimpressed, in several areas.

You could probably get an Aviator under 70K, but, from what you post, no, I agree it might not have the equipment on it that you want...particularly with today's mark-ups.

What do you think of the Volvo XC-90? Have you looked at one?...it is also quite impressive inside, although the electronics on them are unreliable. In fact, one of them died right in front of my Encore GX, last week, in the middle of the road, at a stop light, hemming me in....I had to get out, direct traffic around us, and try and help the lady and her family inside.

You can maybe get base-version XC-90s for under 70k...not the higher-line models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-23 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Okay what is the "problem" with transverse-engine cars? I want to say my Dad had a Cadillac with one way back in the day and it was a great engine.

I've driven many and I think owned one at one point, my Acura. What am I missing?
Bear in mind that transverse engines are almost always FWD. They're just not a premium drivetrain, they are front heavy which leads to poor handling. They typically have rudimentary macpherson strut suspension, the design of the car suffers because of long front overhangs, and the feel of a FWD car is just not as good as a RWD car.

Has nothing to do with the engine, its about what the layout of the engine does to the design of the rest of the car. Transverse/FWD cars are economy platforms, and you never see any serious luxury, premium or performance car that is FWD.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you think of the Volvo XC-90? Have you looked at one?...it is also quite impressive inside, although the electronics on them are unreliable. In fact, one of them died right in front of my Encore GX, last week, in the middle of the road, at a stop light, hemming me in....I had to get out, direct traffic around us, and try and help the lady and her family inside.

You can maybe get base-version XC-90s for under 70k...not the higher-line models.
I like them but they're too small inside.
Old 05-17-23, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone see anything cool today?

I have red car syndrome
Spoiler

Old 05-17-23, 11:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Anyone see anything cool today?

I have red car syndrome
Spoiler

Spoiler

yep.

It stunk but appeared to be mint. These are the absolute indestructible dead reliable Mercedes like we were talking about. Too bad they’re so ugly.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation