Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 04:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Wife woke me up at 6am to take her to the beach because she wanted to take some sunrise pictures.
I'd been promising for a while so today was the day. lol

Saw this down at the beach.

Old 05-21-23, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Wife woke me up at 6am to take her to the beach because she wanted to take some sunrise pictures.

That's a First-Generation Honda CR-V from the late 1990s.
Old 05-21-23, 05:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Nice find. That rear wheel looks off-roady.
Old 05-21-23, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Friends of mine had one just like that for like 13,14 years. We were on vacation together and it literally grenaded on the highway, parts all over the road
Old 05-21-23, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Friends of mine had one just like that for like 13,14 years. We were on vacation together and it literally grenaded on the highway, parts all over the road
A friend of mine had one. 24 years on the road. Finally updated it to a newer model

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-21-23 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-21-23, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A friend of mine had one. 24 years on the road. Finally undated it to a newer model
There are still a lot of First-Generation CR-Vs running around the D.C. area. I see them every day. In fact, I recently had to report license-numbers, and a description of the vehicles involved and the driver, to the police, when I saw him do a hit-and-run in a parking lot, backing up into another unattended vehicle, getting out and looking at the damage, and then just getting back in the CR-V and driving off. He probably thought he wasn't noticed...he thought wrong. I was also able to find the driver of the victim's car, inside the recreation center where I swim, and told her what had happened.....she was grateful.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-23 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-21-23, 08:46 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are still a lot of First-Generation CR-Vs running around the D.C. area. I see them every day. In fact, I recently had to report license-numbers, and a description of the vehicles involved and the driver, to the police, when I saw him do a hit-and-run in a parking lot, backing up into another unattended vehicle, getting out and looking at the damage, and then just getting back in the CR-V and driving off. He probably thought he wasn't noticed...he thought wrong. I was also able to find the driver of the victim's car, inside the recreation center where I swim, and told her what had happened.....she was grateful.
Awesome, I loathe people that try to pull a fast one like that and I would do the same thing as you if I were in the same situation.
Old 05-21-23, 08:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There are still a lot of First-Generation CR-Vs running around the D.C. area..
They still have it in their family. They have a new model and the original
Old 05-21-23, 10:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Dang that sounds like a juicy story.

Like what kind of parts, transmission gears or engine parts?

Now those would be some good picss!

There are still a lot of First-Generation CR-Vs running around the D.C. area. I see them every day....
Ok, this is wierd.

Not a few hours after I posted this old but -near mint- & -cherry- Honda CRV, I had to run to the gas station next door and saw the exact same car again, also in the same green color!
It was badly beaten, rusty, dented all over, almost all the paint on the hood peeled and long gone, and looked like it had a hard life.

Last edited by Margate330; 05-21-23 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-22-23, 09:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

We chit chatted at the light before.

Old 05-22-23, 09:22 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Stacked on the lot, and this is just one row of a few.

I’ve seen precisely ZERO of these on the roads.

Looks like they’re even discounting them:

Old 05-22-23, 09:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Incentives started appearing a few months ago. That number makes me wonder if it's including the $7500 EV credit, EV conquest cash, and further dealer discounting.
Old 05-22-23, 11:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Incentives started appearing a few months ago. That number makes me wonder if it's including the $7500 EV credit, EV conquest cash, and further dealer discounting.
Nobody wants a hideous looking Mercedes-Benz is a big part of it, it ain't rocket science and they just don't get it. Mercedes EVs are butt ugly. Also people don't love EVs as much as people think. Tesla has the market cornered and I sort of consider them cult vehicles but not in a bad way.

About the discount I think or HOPE TO GOD they cut out the $7500 tax subsidy. I should have taken a closer pic but didn't want to get out lol.

Talked to a guy with a Z06 at the gas station today, he said the Zora Corvette is a disgrace and they couldn't give him one for free. I agree, I want zero batteries in a Corvette....ever. Never ever.

That's how this new 4 cylinder C63 is going to be received, watch. Everyone will hate it, they already do.
Old 05-22-23, 11:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Nobody wants a hideous looking Mercedes-Benz is a big part of it, it ain't rocket science and they just don't get it. Mercedes EVs are butt ugly. Also people don't love EVs as much as people think. Tesla has the market cornered and I sort of consider them cult vehicles but not in a bad way.

About the discount I think or HOPE TO GOD they cut out the $7500 tax subsidy. I should have taken a closer pic but didn't want to get out lol.

Talked to a guy with a Z06 at the gas station today, he said the Zora Corvette is a disgrace and they couldn't give him one for free. I agree, I want zero batteries in a Corvette....ever. Never ever.

That's how this new 4 cylinder C63 is going to be received, watch. Everyone will hate it, they already do.
Styling concerns aside, the market isn't helping things. BMW's brand new flagships (7-series and XM) immediately received discounts due to the softening market although you could argue styling effected this as well . MBUSA also just greenlighted the 4-cylinder SL43 to help sales although I don't know who'd want a 4-cylinder SL. I agree the C63 isn't going to be a huge seller, but we'll see how bad it gets.

BMW has the advantage of favoring convergence platforms with its lineup. With Mercedes phasing out EQ and returning to normal styling with the EV CLA in 2024, it'll be interesting to watch their transformation. Their MMA platform is "EV first" but can accept ICE motors whereas the MB.EA and AMG.EA platforms for 2025 and beyond are EV-only. They may to keep heavily updating the legacy MRA II platform cars if EV demand doesn't dramatically pick up by the end of the decade.
Old 05-23-23, 03:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Had to do it, got my plate for the LS today. I got the itch with these personalized plates when I started with the LX.

I suppose I hope people don’t think I mean this specific car, my car, but car people will absolutely get it. It looks even better than I imagined it would.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation