Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Maybe I'm just getting old...but I am finding I will take lighter weight vs more power. I've had some powerful vehicles M550i, 992 Carrera S, Cayenne Turbo, LC 500, RC F, GS F. Most of that power goes unused in daily driving. Two of the most fun were a Miata and a 718 GTS 4 cylinder. You can in your daily driving take some fast turns. I am actually enjoying the 23 IS 350 F Sport with sport handling packing more than I've enjoyed a car in a while weirdly enough. More than GS F and LC 500. It turns, brakes, and handles great. I finally got it broke in this week and gave it the beans...not going to throw you back in your seat or win many races....but it's still fun to drive. Just something I've figured out about what I like as I get older.
There's a lot of truth to this, in a lower powered but lighter car you get to really wind the car out which you can't do in higher powered cars.
Old 06-07-23, 05:18 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Maybe I'm just getting old...but I am finding I will take lighter weight vs more power. I've had some powerful vehicles M550i, 992 Carrera S, Cayenne Turbo, LC 500, RC F, GS F. Most of that power goes unused in daily driving. Two of the most fun were a Miata and a 718 GTS 4 cylinder. You can in your daily driving take some fast turns. I am actually enjoying the 23 IS 350 F Sport with sport handling packing more than I've enjoyed a car in a while weirdly enough. More than GS F and LC 500. It turns, brakes, and handles great. I finally got it broke in this week and gave it the beans...not going to throw you back in your seat or win many races....but it's still fun to drive. Just something I've figured out about what I like as I get older.
I have never driven or ridden in a Miata. Are they really that fun to drive? You listed some killer cars and are saying the Miata is one of the top two to drive??? I would've never guessed.
Old 06-07-23, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have never driven or ridden in a Miata. Are they really that fun to drive? You listed some killer cars and are saying the Miata is one of the top two to drive??? I would've never guessed.
They are a TON of fun to drive
Old 06-07-23, 05:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Very flickable but extremely slow, can't really do too much with one.
Old 06-07-23, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But they feel fast, thats the point. You can wind them out through all the gears (have to get a manual) and stay within reasonably legal speeds, where something with a ton of power you just can't do that on a public road (well, reasonable people wouldn't lol)
Old 06-07-23, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I've test-driven probably 6 or 7 different versions of them over the years. ...plus the very similar Fiat 124 Spyder, which is essentially a restyled Miata with an Italian turbo-engine. A Miata is a blast to drive if you want something that gives you instant steering/handling response, something light and grippy enough to hold a sharp curve like on rails, and a fresh/open-air experience. It is everything the old unreliable 50s/60s British sports cars used to be.....minus the unreliability and wood-paneled interiors. Miatas also have an ingeniously simple top-fold mechanism that, with a little practice, can be opened and closed with one hand in just a few seconds...althoguh a power-folding roof is available if desired. They are one of the few mass-produced cars still available with a crisp-shifting/short-throw manual transmission and an easy-engage clutch pedal, although an automatic is available if preferred.

But Miatas are NOT the car for you if you want a lot of space, easy entry/exit (particularly if you are tall or heavy), or find a lot of noise/vibration and high engine-revs annoying. They are final-geared for high-rpms, have a lot of engine noise, a short wheelbase, relatively stiff suspension, and a firm, sometimes choppy ride. Seat-adjustments inside are extremely limited, and it can be difficult to find a comfortable position for large-sized people. They are mostly for local winding-road fun, not coast-to-coast cruising on Interstates

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-07-23 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 05:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I taught myself how to drive a stick in my parents’ 1994 Miata when I was 11-12, their driveway is hilly.

Then I used to sneak it out all the time, whoops.

It was the updated one with the actual good looking wheels. Red with tan leather and top. It was a blast.

As pointed out, though, not your first choice to drive from NY to CA.
Old 06-07-23, 07:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

i owned a miata for a couple of years. would likely still have it but circumstances required me to sell it. it was by far the most fun car i've ever owned.
the lightness and 50/50 weight distribution with a convertible roof that can be lowered or raised by one hand in a couple of seconds are just magical.
it may no win drag races (not that i cared) but the feeling going around corners is just amazing. i had a stick too for extra fun points. go find one to drive some time!

Originally Posted by Striker223
Very flickable but extremely slow, can't really do too much with one.
"extremely slow" is relative. u.s. public roads have speed limits up to 70 or so... i didn't enjoy the miata for a LONG boring highway/turnpike drive (rather noisy, although not uncomfortable), but for errands and back country roads fun trips it was wonderful. i actually find VERY fast cars to be boring, because you get to 100 in a few seconds, then what? i know for you, keep going faster, but i don't want to kill someone, or myself, or get an expensive ticket. i'd much rather drive an NA porsche than a monster turbo one (i've driven both). my brother's carrera 4s (NA) is amazing, and still very fast.
Old 06-07-23, 07:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i owned a miata for a couple of years. would likely still have it but circumstances required me to sell it. it was by far the most fun car i've ever owned.
the lightness and 50/50 weight distribution with a convertible roof that can be lowered or raised by one hand in a couple of seconds are just magical.
it may no win drag races (not that i cared) but the feeling going around corners is just amazing. i had a stick too for extra fun points. go find one to drive some time!

"extremely slow" is relative. u.s. public roads have speed limits up to 70 or so... i didn't enjoy the miata for a LONG boring highway/turnpike drive (rather noisy, although not uncomfortable), but for errands and back country roads fun trips it was wonderful. i actually find VERY fast cars to be boring, because you get to 100 in a few seconds, then what? i know for you, keep going faster, but i don't want to kill someone, or myself, or get an expensive ticket. i'd much rather drive an NA porsche than a monster turbo one (i've driven both). my brother's carrera 4s (NA) is amazing, and still very fast.
I like cars that have both power and you can side though corners and a Miata just isn't that. Same with Porsche, I would never get anything other than a turbo S since it can do everything a slower one can AND still deliver insane power.

Cars where people praise the handling a lot usually have nothing else going for them lol! When the same car comes in a version with 30-100% more power why would I punish myself with the slow one?

Last edited by Striker223; 06-07-23 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well laa dee dah lol

You’re a power guy, but as you get older that will relax some. Hurtling down the highway at 130 MPH isn’t as appealing once the consequences could ruin your life and the lives of a bunch of other people. Having fun below 80 becomes a lot more appealing.
Old 06-07-23, 08:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Well laa dee dah lol

You’re a power guy, but as you get older that will relax some. Hurtling down the highway at 130 MPH isn’t as appealing once the consequences could ruin your life and the lives of a bunch of other people. Having fun below 80 becomes a lot more appealing.
And it's a hell of a lot more fun even at low speeds when you have a hell of a lot of power. Can't really AWD drift a roundabout with 200hp....
Old 06-07-23, 08:12 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like cars that have both power and you can side though corners and a Miata just isn't that. Same with Porsche, I would never get anything other than a turbo S since it can do everything a slower one can AND still deliver insane power.

Cars where people praise the handling a lot usually have nothing else going for them lol!
Turbo S won't feel the same as a rwd 911. It's all about the feel for me. Many on Rennlist mention a base or model T 992 stickshift with minimal options is one of the most fun to drive on the street. You can rev it out more for daily driving. I didn't listen and bought a "S" model pdk for the 0-60 in 2.9. I lived and learned. I still have a lot to learn LOL. I think James May said something along the lines of it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Enjoy your power Striker...nothing wrong with it if you are careful...it's hard to resist.
Old 06-07-23, 10:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Turbo S won't feel the same as a rwd 911. It's all about the feel for me. Many on Rennlist mention a base or model T 992 stickshift with minimal options is one of the most fun to drive on the street. You can rev it out more for daily driving. I didn't listen and bought a "S" model pdk for the 0-60 in 2.9. I lived and learned. I still have a lot to learn LOL. I think James May said something along the lines of it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Enjoy your power Striker...nothing wrong with it if you are careful...it's hard to resist.
I have been so far lol, I just never liked a lower power version as much as a high power one. The high power can do everything the low can with less revs and if you let it really use it's power it's in another league entirely.

For me the feel I want is power at all times, speeds, and mid corner or full lock pulling out of a entrance etc....high cornering loads and high braking loads as well. Just an all around assault is great, a lower power car is lacking in some of that. I also like high end sedans since when you are done they are extremely nice to just waft around in.

The only time I want a weak car is if it feels really fast due to size and violence of the drive, like a convertible or something like that where the whole car flexes and feels panicked. I drove an older XK V8 that was like that with an insanely loud exhaust and it was not at all fast but the violence and great sound made it fun.
Old 06-07-23, 10:33 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

The older BMW's from the 90's/early 2000's didn't have mind-blowing power numbers but that wasn't why you bought one. They were insanely fun to drive. I'm with those who would rather have a tight handling car with great steering feedback than seeing how much power I can get. You can absolutely still have fun with cars around 200 hp. Not everything needs to be some monstrous power rating. Lol
Old 06-07-23, 10:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Well laa dee dah lol
I hear ya.
When I as young, revving the motor and neutral dropping to screech the the tires was pretty much a necessity at every traffic light.

Yeah, I was a nut! lol

And it's a hell of a lot more fun even at low speeds when you have a hell of a lot of power. Can't really AWD drift a roundabout with 200hp....
You always crack me up Striker!
Need NOS!

Funny how that is, but so true.

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The older BMW's from the 90's/early 2000's didn't have mind-blowing power numbers but that wasn't why you bought one. They were insanely fun to drive. I'm with those who would rather have a tight handling car with great steering feedback than seeing how much power I can get. You can absolutely still have fun with cars around 200 hp. Not everything needs to be some monstrous power rating. Lol
Exactly right, my little Porsche had a turbo 4 cyl and weight in at close to 2,000 lbs flat.
Such a fun car.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation