Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Its possible, the cleaner overflows from the surface over the edge, and dries on it if you dont wipe it off, or if its a glass that is set in a frame, and the chemical drips down and stays inside the frame pockets, etching away at the laminate. Either way, modern laminates are a lot more resistant to chemicals vs the old stuff, you're unlikely to damage it with household chemicals. More of a concern for industrial types of cleaners.
I have been detailing cars for 30 years, I just dont see how this would be possible. The only place where the edge is exposed is the top of the glass, you would have to spray the cleaner on the roof of the car and have it run down onto the glass, and the glass would have to be lowered in order for the cleaner to get onto the edge. I just don’t see how this is possible.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I just mentioned it as a possible issue since I have seen it's happening on 430s and 460s that have had hard lives when I was looking for cars.
I would have to see pictures of this to believe it.
Old 06-19-22, 01:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Saw this really high end GLS580 at the pharmacy earlier.

Of course it was dirty, but verrry nice. Panel gaps, window trim were excellent…zoom in the window trim if you can. Definitely an expensive Mercedes. And they got the V8 which makes me think the owner could be an enthusiast. The I-6 is morrre than enough but nah nah, people still want V8s. That said the S500 sedan with I-6 rips to 60 in 4.6 seconds, sorta insane. But you still can’t beat a V8 sound and feel.

Old 06-19-22, 02:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have been detailing cars for 30 years, I just dont see how this would be possible. The only place where the edge is exposed is the top of the glass, you would have to spray the cleaner on the roof of the car and have it run down onto the glass, and the glass would have to be lowered in order for the cleaner to get onto the edge. I just don’t see how this is possible.

I would have to see pictures of this to believe it.
https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...-delamination/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/771456-window-issues.html

You garage your cars, but it does happen often. My ES is having it happen to the windshield and it's crazy common on BMWs from 2004-2012

Just imagine a car that sits outside and never gets any care.....stuff suffers under bad owners and harder conditions.

Last edited by Striker223; 06-19-22 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-19-22, 02:12 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Got back from the Molto Bella Auto Show today, mostly hundreds of American cars from the 50s-70s were on display, and thousands of people were attending. Some cheeky owner even snuck in an imported Nissan Figaro lol.

What I didn't expect to get my attention was an early 2000s Jaguar XK. I've seen a lot of these before, usually in pretty poor condition on used car lots, but in this condition it was a stunner even among the more outlandish vintage cars that surrounded it. The cigarette shaped butt is just classic.

Old 06-19-22, 02:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts
Default Nice Jag

Originally Posted by Motorola
What I didn't expect to get my attention was an early 2000s Jaguar XK. I've seen a lot of these before, usually in pretty poor condition on used car lots, but in this condition it was a stunner even among the more outlandish vintage cars that surrounded it. The cigarette shaped butt is just classic.
Not as fancy as Jag posted above by Motorola.
While on Jag's my neighbor has one of these in cherry condition, interior & exterior like new, only drives on weekends and around town for fun.
He says when he decides to let it go he wants a Porshce Panemera.

Old 06-19-22, 02:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

Of course it was dirty, but verrry nice. Panel gaps, window trim were excellent…zoom in the window trim if you can. Definitely an expensive Mercedes. And they got the V8 which makes me think the owner could be an enthusiast. The I-6 is morrre than enough but nah nah, people still want V8s. That said the S500 sedan with I-6 rips to 60 in 4.6 seconds, sorta insane. But you still can’t beat a V8 sound and feel.

I think a GX or LX are better
Old 06-19-22, 02:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Brought beer and ince in the trunk, plus the entire shopping for the fathers day BBQ in the saddle bags. Nice to have truckish motorcycle.

Nice!
Can't see much of the bike but looks dressed out.
You have forward foot pegs too?
Old 06-19-22, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I were to get one thats the trim I would get, the AMG package. 580s in the GLE and GLS are really hard to get unfortunately, special order only. Not even buildable on MBUSA.com

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think a GX or LX are better
Only if you want to take it offroad. Otherwise the GLS is better in every conceivable way, especially compared to the ancient GX.
Old 06-19-22, 04:02 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Not as fancy as Jag posted above by Motorola.
While on Jag's my neighbor has one of these in cherry condition, interior & exterior like new, only drives on weekends and around town for fun.
He says when he decides to let it go he wants a Porshce Panemera.
I have a soft-spot for the S-Type but it's rare I ever see one that's been well taken-care of. It definitely looks better than the 1st-gen Panamera, I would convince your neighbor to stick with it, especially in this current market.
Old 06-19-22, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/fo...-delamination/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ow-issues.html

You garage your cars, but it does happen often. My ES is having it happen to the windshield and it's crazy common on BMWs from 2004-2012

Just imagine a car that sits outside and never gets any care.....stuff suffers under bad owners and harder conditions.
I think you are dramatically overstating how common an issue this is. It happening to a few cars and saying it "happens often" is very different. If this "happened often" CL would be filled with posts about this issue, and its just not...
Old 06-19-22, 04:53 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Otherwise the GLS is better in every conceivable way, especially compared to the ancient GX.
Can't confirm if it's better or not but if money was no option I'll take the Mercedes every time because I love German engineering and style
Old 06-19-22, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Can't confirm if it's better or not but if money was no option I'll take the Mercedes every time because I love German engineering and style
The GLS is HUGE inside compared to either vehicle, interior is dramatically better than the GX, and better than the LX. Powertrain smothness especially the 580 is considerably better, ride and noise isolation are much better than each. Technology is on another level entirely. Only thing the Lexus BOF SUVs have going for them is offroad ability, and of course long term reliability.

The GLS really is a great vehicle. Its a soft ride biased vehicle, the X7 is a lot more dynamic but the GLS is much larger inside. I would buy a GLS as a family vehicle in a heartbeat if I wanted to spend that kind of money for a family vehicle.
Old 06-19-22, 05:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

If I were to get one thats the trim I would get, the AMG package. 580s in the GLE and GLS are really hard to get unfortunately, special order only. Not even buildable on MBUSA.com
Hmmm. I don't remember it standing out as an AMG, though it had nice rims when I saw it pull in from the other side. Could have been. For how expensive it is, it should have some more presence as beautiful as it was. Invisible next to most other high end SUVs, though as I said the detailing up close was very very nice. But it looked too much like a van as it pulled in for my tastes.

Only if you want to take it offroad. Otherwise the GLS is better in every conceivable way, especially compared to the ancient GX.
Or if you want to buy a truck and keep for 20 years with minimal trouble. But yeah.
Old 06-19-22, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hmmm. I don't remember it standing out as an AMG, though it had nice rims when I saw it pull in from the other side. Could have been. For how expensive it is, it should have some more presence as beautiful as it was. Invisible next to most other high end SUVs, though as I said the detailing up close was very very nice. But it looked too much like a van as it pulled in for my tastes.
It has the AMG appearance package, I can tell from looking at it. If it didnt it would have black plastic wheel arches instead of the body colored flaired ones.

No AMG package:

AMG package:

IMO, the AMG package is a must have on almost every Mercedes. They look frumpy without it.
Old 06-19-22, 05:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

The GLS is HUGE inside compared to either vehicle, interior is dramatically better than the GX, and better than the LX. Powertrain smothness especially the 580 is considerably better, ride and noise isolation are much better than each. Technology is on another level entirely. Only thing the Lexus BOF SUVs have going for them is offroad ability, and of course long term reliability.

The GLS really is a great vehicle. Its a soft ride biased vehicle, the X7 is a lot more dynamic but the GLS is much larger inside. I would buy a GLS as a family vehicle in a heartbeat if I wanted to spend that kind of money for a family vehicle.
This. The LX/GX is a tank of a car both on road and off, that can be good or bad depending on what you need.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation