Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Someone should start one ASAP. this is the best thread for cars and we definitely don't want to get off car...know what I mean?
Agreed for sure...
Old 06-29-23, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I tell you, I have never had less desire to buy a new car. All of the fun of it is just gone. Said we were going to go look at a Carnival, I have to go to Woodbridge, or Annapolis to even find one to drive...and those are marked up $7,000. And thats a Carnival minivan!
Old 06-29-23, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I tell you, I have never had less desire to buy a new car. All of the fun of it is just gone. Said we were going to go look at a Carnival, I have to go to Woodbridge, or Annapolis to even find one to drive...and those are marked up $7,000. And thats a Carnival minivan!

You once had a Sedona, I remember. Might be worth your time to see if the salesperson you bought (or leased?) it from is still around at that dealership. Salespeople and dealerships usually like repeat customers, and they might give you a decent deal. (A good deal these days seems to be list-price LOL)

They wanted $3000 over list for my brother's new Kia Seltos SX in Falls Church (36K for a 33K vehicle). But, when I looked the salesperson straight in the eye (who remembered us from previous new vehicles there) and told him that, as far as I was concerned (and my brother agreed) that, as a repeat customer for our fourth new vehicle there, I considered ANY markup over list to be a personal insult to us, he went back, consulted the manager, and came back, and agreed to list.

(And don't kid yourself.....they still usually make a decent profit selling at list. But that's only fair...they have to make enough to be able to pay their own bills and stay in buisness)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-23 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 03:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Someone should start one ASAP. this is the best thread for cars and we definitely don't want to get off car...know what I mean?
I would do it but I already posted a new thread today.

Well that just kills all the fun out of it. Lol

Have to drive all that way and to get ADMs, not auch a good deal.
Old 06-29-23, 03:52 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

I don't know that it's ever been fun for me. It's just a total time suck - either driving distance to find what you want, time spent negotiating the deal, or both. When I bought my Tesla (pre owned), the actual buying process was incredibly fast but I found myself annoyed because I had negotiated the price of the car in advance but didn't know they put some type of paint protection and also some type of gas in all 4 tires on every car they sell. Guaranteed margin for them. I felt like I negotiated a good price and then got hit with those things.. Online ordering would be the way to go. The industry needs to adapt.
Old 06-29-23, 04:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You once had a Sedona, I remember. Might be worth your time to see if the salesperson you bought (or leased?) it from is still around at that dealership. Salespeople and dealerships usually like repeat customers, and they might give you a decent deal. (A good deal these days seems to be list-price LOL)

They wanted $3000 over list for my brother's new Kia Seltos SX in Falls Church (36K for a 33K vehicle). But, when I looked the salesperson straight in the eye (who remembered us from previous new vehicles there) and told him that, as far as I was concerned (and my brother agreed) that, as a repeat customer for our fourth new vehicle there, I considered ANY markup over list to be a personal insult to us, he went back, consulted the manager, and came back, and agreed to list.

(And don't kid yourself.....they still usually make a decent profit selling at list. But that's only fair...they have to make enough to be able to pay their own bills and stay in buisness)
I don't even remember who sold me the Sedona, and that dealer won't sell me a Telluride without an ADM. I will find somebody to sell me one for MSRP, the issue is finding cars to look at and drive. Walked into Lincoln, they have no Aviators. Not one even to look at...

Originally Posted by Margate330
I would do it but I already posted a new thread today.
There's no limit to how many you can post

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I don't know that it's ever been fun for me. It's just a total time suck - either driving distance to find what you want, time spent negotiating the deal, or both. When I bought my Tesla (pre owned), the actual buying process was incredibly fast but I found myself annoyed because I had negotiated the price of the car in advance but didn't know they put some type of paint protection and also some type of gas in all 4 tires on every car they sell. Guaranteed margin for them. I felt like I negotiated a good price and then got hit with those things.. Online ordering would be the way to go. The industry needs to adapt.
I enjoy it because I like shopping for cars, driving cars, deciding what I want and I enjoy the negotiation process.
Old 06-29-23, 05:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

I can't justify buying new but I'm having similar problems, normally I like looking and buying something interesting for a few months just to have owned one. Now the market is too insane.....

I also don't really have the "want" right now at all, the W12 tamed it after I spent 5 years looking for the "next one" and then buying it and repeating the process. I don't really have a desire anymore and what would I even buy? I have like 2 options above what I already have and they aren't quite the same "feel" of car, and again I don't have the pull toward them.
Old 06-29-23, 05:46 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I can't justify buying new but I'm having similar problems, normally I like looking and buying something interesting for a few months just to have owned one. Now the market is too insane.....

I also don't really have the "want" right now at all, the W12 tamed it after I spent 5 years looking for the "next one" and then buying it and repeating the process. I don't really have a desire anymore and what would I even buy? I have like 2 options above what I already have and they aren't quite the same "feel" of car, and again I don't have the pull toward them.
Didn't you want a Bentley?
Old 06-29-23, 06:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It will not correct itself until there is a recession.
Old 06-29-23, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Walked into Lincoln, they have no Aviators. Not one even to look at...

As of today, Ted Britt Chantilly Ford/Lincoln currently is listing four new 2023 Aviators in stock. (I know the General Manager of that place..but I haven't seen him for a while). They are literally right across the street from that Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/Ram shop we used to talk about...where they dump the box of new-vehicle key/fobs on the floor LOL. But Ted Britt is a lot classier place.

https://www.tedbrittlincolnofchantil...&model=Aviator
Old 06-29-23, 07:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Didn't you want a Bentley?
Yeah but now I'm honestly not sure, I like how raw my car feels vs a flying spur and the NA W12 reacts faster than the turbo. I really am no longer feeling a "pull" to any sedans, I have started to look at 2 doors.....
Old 06-29-23, 07:09 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah but now I'm honestly not sure, I like how raw my car feels vs a flying spur and the NA W12 reacts faster than the turbo. I really am no longer feeling a "pull" to any sedans, I have started to look at 2 doors.....
You have an unquenchable thirst for speed. Lol where does it end? Put me in your W12 and that's more speed than I would ever want.
Old 06-29-23, 07:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It will not correct itself until there is a recession.
I think a lot of it is artificial lack of supply at this point. Sales figures show that demand is not unusually high, dealers have discovered how to play a game here. People aren’t clamoring to buy Carnival minivans I am sure lol

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As of today, Ted Britt Chantilly Ford/Lincoln currently is listing four new 2023 Aviators in stock. (I know the General Manager of that place..but I haven't seen him for a while). They are literally right across the street from that Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/Ram shop we used to talk about...where they dump the box of new-vehicle key/fobs on the floor LOL. But Ted Britt is a lot classier place.

https://www.tedbrittlincolnofchantil...&model=Aviator
My dealer here listed 7, and have none. I bet they don’t actually have any.
Old 06-29-23, 07:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
You have an unquenchable thirst for speed. Lol where does it end? Put me in your W12 and that's more speed than I would ever want.
Yeah lol, I may have a slight problem lol! I am currently looking at supercharged V10 R8s.....
Old 06-29-23, 07:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think a lot of it is artificial lack of supply at this point. Sales figures show that demand is not unusually high, dealers have discovered how to play a game here. People aren’t clamoring to buy Carnival minivans I am sure lol
car companies are waiting for a recession. It’s due. The auto giants are not gonna expand their production lines as everything will comes back in line with a recession. It’s a just a terrible time to buy a car because of inflation as there is still too much money floating around. Jack the interest rates to 10%, car sales will slow and prices will drop.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation