Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 07:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
car companies are waiting for a recession. It’s due. The auto giants are not gonna expand their production lines as everything will comes back in line with a recession. It’s a just a terrible time to buy a car because of inflation as there is still too much money floating around. Jack the interest rates to 10%, car sales will slow and prices will drop.

Yeah, rates are insane right now. Last time I bought a vehicle was in 2017 and I got a 72 month 2.49% on a used truck. I could have paid cash at the time but wanted to keep money in the market as I was preparing to buy a home, but I did pay it off in 2 years.

I think this time around I'm going to be paying cash or mostly cash just because of how bad the rates are.

Old 06-29-23, 07:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

The rates are not insane. They are more normal. The rates we have had for all of this time are insanely low, we just became accustomed to that.
Old 06-29-23, 07:55 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah lol, I may have a slight problem lol! I am currently looking at supercharged V10 R8s.....
Lol driving fast is fun but doing it so much, at least for me, dulls the experience. Wonder how much those supercharged R8's go for.

car companies are waiting for a recession. It’s due. The auto giants are not gonna expand their production lines as everything will comes back in line with a recession. It’s a just a terrible time to buy a car because of inflation as there is still too much money floating around. Jack the interest rates to 10%, car sales will slow and prices will drop.
We will be entering a recession. There is no doubt about that. The US cannot sustain itself the way it's been going.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The rates are not insane. They are more normal. The rates we have had for all of this time are insanely low, we just became accustomed to that.
I agree, we've been spoiled by rock-bottom interest rates. People with credit in the mid 600's could get a rate of 5% without much difficulty a couple years ago, as someone I worked with at the time experienced. I don't think he even put any money down, he just found a credit union that approved his application. Now that rate would be easily double.
Old 06-29-23, 08:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think this time around I'm going to be paying cash or mostly cash just because of how bad the rates are.
I have always just paid cash. Works for me

Rates are still higher than last 20 years. And inflation is worst in 40.
eidt: OK I can see how you view them as more normal.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-29-23 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Rates aren’t higher than they have been in 20 years, definitely higher than we have seen since the Great Recession. All of the QE they have been doing since then is what has resulted in those low rates.

2.5% or 3% rates are not normal. 6-7% rates are a whole lot more normal.

Car loans, I remember the rate on my first car was nearly 9%, and that was excellent credit (my parents)
Old 06-29-23, 08:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Rates aren’t higher than they have been in 20 years, definitely higher than we have seen since the Great Recession. All of the QE they have been doing since then is what has resulted in those low rates.

Correct. Interest-rates have been so absurdly low, so long, that what is historically normal (mistakenly) looks like gouging by people who are uneducated in economics or unaware of the past.

Now, if you REALLY want to see some rates that were insane (by American standards), go back to the Jimmy Carter years of the late 1970s (I lived through them as a young adult). 16-22% was more or less the norm. The PRIME rate (which is regulated by the Federal Reserve Board as a base-rate for banks) reached 21.5%

What an era.....you paid double-digit interest for a new American car that was only half-assembled at the factory, one-quarter-engineered in the labs, and that started falling apart on the way home to your driveway....all the while Lee Iacocca and Roger Smith were doing slick, smooth-talking TV-ads on Detroit's "newfound" quality. And we wonder why Toyota and Honda took over the market back then.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-23 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 08:42 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Car loans, I remember the rate on my first car was nearly 9%, and that was excellent credit (my parents)
Yep, 8 or 9% is around what my parents had on their vehicles in the 90's and they always had excellent credit.
Old 06-29-23, 08:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

banks rates for mortgages. Highest in 20 years

https://www.superbrokers.ca/tools/mortgage-rate-history
Old 06-29-23, 09:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

banks rates for mortgages. Highest in 20 years

Simple....that is because inflation itself is the highest it has been in twice that long (40 years). And rates may (?) have to get still higher to finally tame this inflation. There is simply no economically painless way to get a hold on the kind of inflation we have seen in the last 2-3 years.

And higher rates are actually benefitting a lot of people right now....those who have not been getting any appreciable returns on their fixed-income investments (bonds, CDs, Money-Market, etc...) Now, they are finally starting to earn something.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-23 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 09:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Saw a beautiful LX470 at work today.

Old 06-30-23, 03:39 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

For those of us who made our purchases back in the 70's/80's, rates today for vehicles and homes are much lower than in previous years. As stated above, rates have been historically low for several years. I found this chart for mortgages, of which all other loans including vehicles would pretty much follow. Our mortgage in the 80's was at 14%, which due to good credit, was below the average of18% being charged at the time. Average over this period seems to be around 5% :
Old 06-30-23, 05:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

3.25% here.

My friends and I all joke (but we are serious lol) that we are stuck in our houses. No way are any of us paying double the interest for anything new.
Old 06-30-23, 07:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Saw a beautiful LX470 at work today.

Yeah. Beautiful LX. Best generation IMO. Best Lexus ever made.
Old 06-30-23, 07:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Yeah. Beautiful LX. Best generation IMO. Best Lexus ever made.
Debatable for sure, it's absolutely one of the best.... no questions asked.

They do still look beautiful especially the late facelift ones, and the ones I see are always in good shape.

The front facias of those are gorgeous and elegant, I've always thought that.

Old 06-30-23, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

speaking of getting a car, my santa fe work vehicle lease is up next feb. the dealer is already sending me letters and emails saying they want me to trade now to something new for 'no cost'
i guess they want the used vehicle.

my santa fe has 20k mi. and the buy out next feb is 26k. that will likely be under book value.

i don't know what to do.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation