Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 07:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
speaking of getting a car, my santa fe work vehicle lease is up next feb. the dealer is already sending me letters and emails saying they want me to trade now to something new for 'no cost'
i guess they want the used vehicle.

my santa fe has 20k mi. and the buy out next feb is 26k. that will likely be under book value.

i don't know what to do.
Do you like it enough to keep it? Do the new ones improve on anything and will they actually just transfer you in with no cost?

If you really can just transfer up to a newer one I would, now if they changed something mechanically then I would be more cautious.....
Old 06-30-23, 07:39 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Dobies have had a bad rep. I agree with you that they are velcro/large lap dogs. Mine takes up 3/4 of the bed and most of the back seat of my car:
Aww yours looks like mine did, floppy ears and all.
Old 06-30-23, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct. Interest-rates have been so absurdly low, so long, that what is historically normal (mistakenly) looks like gouging by people who are uneducated in economics or unaware of the past.
Its been a long time! To a whole generation of consumers this is what its been, thats why this change is so hard to stomach. I mean I too am a victim of it, I think an S Class should cost $1,500 a month and $2,300 a month is absurd, but really...it should cost $2,300 a month and its my experience that is making me not realize that. We are all used to driving cars that really are way above what we want to be spending.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
banks rates for mortgages. Highest in 20 years

https://www.superbrokers.ca/tools/mortgage-rate-history
Thats canada, I can tell you for sure in the US the rates are not at a 20 year high. I bought my townhouse in 2007 and the rate was 7%, and right now a 30 year conventional loan is about the same, a little less. Thats 15 years ago. 20 years ago rates here were solidly in the 7s and 8s...so close but not yet there,

Originally Posted by AJT123
3.25% here.

My friends and I all joke (but we are serious lol) that we are stuck in our houses. No way are any of us paying double the interest for anything new.
3.175 here. Thats a huge issue, it deprives the market of inventory which keeps driving prices up, its a problem thats not going away.

speaking of getting a car, my santa fe work vehicle lease is up next feb. the dealer is already sending me letters and emails saying they want me to trade now to something new for 'no cost'
i guess they want the used vehicle.

my santa fe has 20k mi. and the buy out next feb is 26k. that will likely be under book value.

i don't know what to do.
Same spot I'm in with BOTH cars. I honestly have very little drive to replace either car, if my wife told me "hey, lets get that GLS" that I would be excited about, but something similar to the Pacifica or a Telluride or something about that class, it just doesn't excite me at all. I have sat in many cars, the new S580, the new 7 Series, new Range Rover to try and get excited about something to replace my S560 and they are nice, and sure I would be happy with them but to get me excited about the next car? Doesn't do it.

Part of it is spending way more, lease a new Pacifica its $900 a month, I am paying $530. Buy it? $60,000 cash or $1,100 a month...for something that's just not that different than what I am paying $530 a month for now. Carnival to lease is $750 a month, so $230 more a month for another minivan I don't want. S Class, gonna pay $800 a month at least more for a car I don't really like more than the one I have...plus all the pain of dealing with dealers wanting markups and having to scour the country etc.

I don't really want to have two cars out of warranty or figure out how to finance them or pay cash or do whatever research warranties either...so I am really at a loss. I would probably pay cash if I bought them out...

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-30-23 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-30-23, 08:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Thats canada, I can tell you for sure in the US the rates are not at a 20 year high. I bought my townhouse in 2007 and the rate was 7%, and right now a 30 year conventional loan is about the same, a little less. Thats 15 years ago. 20 years ago rates here were solidly in the 7s and 8s...so close but not yet there,
Ok...so 16 years...pretty close.
Old 06-30-23, 09:39 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Its been a long time! To a whole generation of consumers this is what its been, thats why this change is so hard to stomach. I mean I too am a victim of it, I think an S Class should cost $1,500 a month and $2,300 a month is absurd, but really...it should cost $2,300 a month and its my experience that is making me not realize that. We are all used to driving cars that really are way above what we want to be spending.

3.175 here. Thats a huge issue, it deprives the market of inventory which keeps driving prices up, its a problem thats not going away.

Same spot I'm in with BOTH cars. I honestly have very little drive to replace either car, if my wife told me "hey, lets get that GLS" that I would be excited about, but something similar to the Pacifica or a Telluride or something about that class, it just doesn't excite me at all. I have sat in many cars, the new S580, the new 7 Series, new Range Rover to try and get excited about something to replace my S560 and they are nice, and sure I would be happy with them but to get me excited about the next car? Doesn't do it.

Part of it is spending way more, lease a new Pacifica its $900 a month, I am paying $530. Buy it? $60,000 cash or $1,100 a month...for something that's just not that different than what I am paying $530 a month for now. Carnival to lease is $750 a month, so $230 more a month for another minivan I don't want. S Class, gonna pay $800 a month at least more for a car I don't really like more than the one I have...plus all the pain of dealing with dealers wanting markups and having to scour the country etc.

I don't really want to have two cars out of warranty or figure out how to finance them or pay cash or do whatever research warranties either...so I am really at a loss. I would probably pay cash if I bought them out...
Mercedes has an addl 3 yr 100k warranty that I believe can be purchased prior to when the original warranty expires. Maybe just check with your dealer, this way it's not a 3rd party warranty.
Old 06-30-23, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

i don't know what to do.
Well, you can start by pondering this question: Do you really have to replace the Santa Fe at all when the lease is up? You already have a Lexus LC to get you around, don't you? Granted, being a sport-coupe, it's not as versatile or flexible a vehicle as the Santa Fe, but that should not matter much (at least for a time) if you don't carry around a lot of passengers or bulky items. And, in Florida, you will almost never need the Santa Fe's AWD......unless yours was a FWD version.
Old 06-30-23, 09:43 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you can start by pondering this question: Do you really have to replace the Santa Fe at all when the lease is up? You already have a Lexus LC to get you around, don't you? Granted, being a sport-coupe, it's not as versatile or flexible a vehicle as the Santa Fe, but that should not matter much (at least for a time) if you don't carry around a lot of passengers or bulky items. And, in Florida, you will almost never need the Santa Fe's AWD......unless yours was a FWD version.
As I recall, he carries a lot of "work stuff" in the Santa Fe.
Old 06-30-23, 09:44 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Do you have confidence the Mercedes is solid and will go the distance? Reliable? I haven't heard much bad press about the W222.

If you do, not that big of a deal to own a car out of warranty. I have, lol.
Old 06-30-23, 09:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

i feel your pain.

the path of least resistance would be for me to buy out the santa fe at lease end. but i will see what kind of deal they want to offer me because there should be some equity in this with low mileage, etc. as usual, i realize i'm going to be bamboozled, but will try.
Old 06-30-23, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Do you like it enough to keep it? Do the new ones improve on anything and will they actually just transfer you in with no cost?

If you really can just transfer up to a newer one I would, now if they changed something mechanically then I would be more cautious.....
the new model of what i have ('21 santa fe calligraphy) has no changes as far as i can see! still a nice vehicle though.
rumors there will be an all new one next year.

if i buy it there will be maintenance concerns of course, and i'll likely need tires. not major concerns or issues.
Old 06-30-23, 09:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

the new model of what i have ('21 santa fe calligraphy) has no changes as far as i can see! still a nice vehicle though.
rumors there will be an all new one next year.
Plus the one you have now is super low miles.

Heck, it's barely broke in. Lol
Old 06-30-23, 11:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Plus the one you have now is super low miles.

Heck, it's barely broke in. Lol
i like shiny new things.
Old 06-30-23, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Mercedes has an addl 3 yr 100k warranty that I believe can be purchased prior to when the original warranty expires. Maybe just check with your dealer, this way it's not a 3rd party warranty.
Thats what I would buy, I have to see what the cost is. I'm at 39.400 miles so I have time.

Do you have confidence the Mercedes is solid and will go the distance? Reliable? I haven't heard much bad press about the W222.

If you do, not that big of a deal to own a car out of warranty. I have, lol.
Yeah the W222 I'm sure can go 100k without issues, but like bit said I like new things...I don't see me keeping it more than a couple years maybe and if thats the case, whats the point really? May as well just get something new at the end of the lease.

Issue is I need to spend a bunch of money on it, it needs the B1 service thats $1,000, it needs front tires, thats $750, normally I would just go trade out of it before I do those things.
Old 06-30-23, 02:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

3.25% here.

My friends and I all joke (but we are serious lol) that we are stuck in our houses. No way are any of us paying double the interest for anything new.

2.8% on a 30 year here. I live in an okay neighborhood with relatively low crime and no HOA and my friends keep telling me to move up to the fancy part of town. I'm good where i'm at.

My mortgage payment is half what people are paying to rent apartments in the area right now. If I were to finance this potential car purchase, my mortgage + car payment + insurance + fuel would still be less than rent.
Old 07-01-23, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

AJT, the buc-ee's at sevierville is 75,000 sq. ft the largest one so far.

the one being built in my town will be 80,000 sq. ft

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation