Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-22, 01:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
if I were buying one for me, I

The GLS is extremely popular, so you can't say Mercedes has made a misstep. Not everybody wants "flashy bold". The buyers for the Escalade and the buyers for the GLS are different.
GLS is their S-Class of SUV. I notice and admire every single S-Class I see. These aren’t even on the radar. GLSs are just invisible but I will look out for more. I never said GLS is a “misstep” but it’s pretty bland looking especially for their flagship SUV not counting G.
Old 06-20-22, 01:51 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
GLS is their S-Class of SUV. I notice and admire every single S-Class I see. These aren’t even on the radar. GLSs are just invisible but I will look out for more. I never said GLS is a “misstep” but it’s pretty bland looking especially for their flagship SUV not counting G.
Definitely agree with your assessment. IMO their previous GLS looks more like a S-Class SUV. Nothing special here, esp interior is just like the GLE's. Outside it looks like a bigger GLB IMO. Maybe they need to make GLS Coupe.
Old 06-20-22, 02:05 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Saw this one today, owner was cool.
Asked him if I could takes pics to post in forum and he was ok with that and gave thumbs up.

Could run it as a daily but my wife would be afraid of it so something like this for a 2nd or 3rd car just for knocking around in could be fun.
It's not lifted too high so would be ok for around town on less traffic days or rural areas.

Just looking, day dreaming... lol

Last edited by Margate330; 06-20-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Asked him if I could takes pics to post in forum and he was ok with that and gave thumbs up.

Could run it as a daily but my wife would be afraid of it so something like this for a 2nd or 3rd car just for knocking around in could be fun.
It's not lifted too high so would be fun for around town on less traffic days or rural areas.

Just for fun.

‘Wow. That is a nice TOYOTA.
Old 06-20-22, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Except for the one that caught your eye enough to post a picture of it here

They are bland looking I agree,

Originally Posted by Margate330
My cousin has an FJ Cruiser, they're cool trucks
Old 06-20-22, 02:11 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I always loved those FJ's. They're kind of a rare sighting for me.

Scotty Kilmer mentioned on one of his videos that they rust out terribly in northern climates. Good southern off roader.
Old 06-20-22, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1

Scotty Kilmer mentioned on one of his videos that they rust out terribly in northern climates. Good southern off roader.
My cousin's has 200k miles and he lives in WV, no rust.
Old 06-20-22, 02:29 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LH1

Would Scotty Kilmer drive this?

I don't know it's not a camry or sedan but maybe only cuz it's a Toyota lol
Never heard him give a buy recommendation on anything but a Toyota but I havent watched all his videos because I think he's just a tiny little bit annoying. lol just saying... J/K
He's gotta be making a killing as a Youtube star.
Old 06-20-22, 02:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

On a very slightly related topic, one time my son came with me to the Toyota dealership for an oil change. While we were waiting, the service advisor brought my boy a blue FJ Cruiser miniature toy car, which I thought was incredibly nice. Later on, we were driving home and he was freaking out in the back seat because there was a blue FJ Cruiser right next to us, just like his new toy. He was back there waving at the driver and holding up the toy to show him. The driver had a huge smile and a wave. So fun!
Old 06-20-22, 02:38 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

My cousin's has 200k miles...
That's good to know they will go the distance!

JDR76: On a very slightly related topic, one time my son came with me to the Toyota dealership for an oil change. While we were waiting, the service advisor brought my boy a blue FJ Cruiser miniature toy car, which I thought was incredibly nice. Later on, we were driving home and he was freaking out in the back seat because there was a blue FJ Cruiser right next to us, just like his new toy. He was back there waving at the driver and holding up the toy to show him. The driver had a huge smile and a wave. So fun!

Blue is my favorite color for the FJ.

Thank you for letting me post up the lifted FJ, that's all I have.
Anyone else see anything fun or interesting lately?

Last edited by Margate330; 06-20-22 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 02:43 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

My cousin's has 200k miles and he lives in WV, no rust.
Ok that's good. I almost bought one in 2007 or so when they debuted. That 4.0L V6 will run forever.

Maybe Scotty was referring to the 1st model year that had the rusting issue?
Old 06-20-22, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
On a very slightly related topic, one time my son came with me to the Toyota dealership for an oil change. While we were waiting, the service advisor brought my boy a blue FJ Cruiser miniature toy car, which I thought was incredibly nice. Later on, we were driving home and he was freaking out in the back seat because there was a blue FJ Cruiser right next to us, just like his new toy. He was back there waving at the driver and holding up the toy to show him. The driver had a huge smile and a wave. So fun!
Thats awesome!
Old 06-20-22, 03:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Definitely agree with your assessment. IMO their previous GLS looks more like a S-Class SUV. .
I was a big fan of the first GL, definitely looks like a proper tank and truck.

Except for the one that caught your eye enough to post a picture of it here
Fair enough, but what caught my eye in the first place was the 580 badge and that's it. Not the fact that it was a Mercedes GLS. By seeing that I knew the thing cost a fortune and, probably an enthusiast bought it. And I was admiring the panel gaps and overall build quality I saw. The looks are a total snooze fest.

My cousin has an FJ Cruiser, they're cool trucks
I've never been in them but I know they're cult vehicles. A guy on my street they have an FJ and two other 4 Runners. Definitely Toyota people.
Old 06-20-22, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

@Striker223 I know we were talking about garages. This is how my S560 fits in my 20.5" deep garage. Its 208.5 inches long, so an Escalade would be 3 inches longer. It would fit.

20.5 inch wide too, you can see both cars fit with good space between them. Its much harder to get them far enough away from each other if you pull both cars in front first. Backing in lets you get them further away from each other.

Driver side of the Pacifica, getting out it tight. You can see the pad I put there to keep my wife from banging the door into the wall.

Old 06-20-22, 04:56 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

you can get even more space by backing one car in and pulling the other in forward, instead of pointing them both the same direction. Then both driver's doors open to the central aisle and you can park them both very close to the wall. This even works if, like us, you have one car with doors 53" long. Also leaves plenty of room for us to store the 28" 2-stage snowblower between the cars, ready to go.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation