Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 09:39 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I still love keys. I'd rather still have keys with cars. Expensive ones at least, the insane ignition locks on high end cars are a pleasure to use. Just like grandpa's old knife.
Interesting, why? My transition has been: from key (LS430) to keyless entry (LS460 and our LX) to phone as a key (Tesla MYP). Layer on top of that with a Tesla you just walk away from the car - no turning it off, no locking it, nothing. I love it. I can't imagine having a physical key, unless it was on something retro where it just fits the whole vibe of the car. I see absolutely no benefit to an actual key.
Old 07-10-23, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds to me like he got a really cheap one. Those have CVTs too which don't exactly help a 188hp 4cylinder's case for any kind of powertrain satisfaction.

I still love keys. I'd rather still have keys with cars. Expensive ones at least, the insane ignition locks on high end cars are a pleasure to use. Just like grandpa's old knife.
Same here. I prefer the key. I have pushbutton start, I’m not really a fan.
Old 07-10-23, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

No desire to have keys here. If I could have my phone work as my key that would be great. Just more stuff to carry.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Yeah I saw your review after I had it a couple of days and was wondering what all has changed between that model and the one I rented. In general, I've always liked Nissan's. One of my favorite cars I've owned was a 1999 SE Maxima 5 speed. I felt like this new Altima was a miss, but again perhaps it's better on the higher trims.
They're totally different, I think two generations separated...
Old 07-10-23, 10:40 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Interesting, why? My transition has been: from key (LS430) to keyless entry (LS460 and our LX) to phone as a key (Tesla MYP). Layer on top of that with a Tesla you just walk away from the car - no turning it off, no locking it, nothing. I love it. I can't imagine having a physical key, unless it was on something retro where it just fits the whole vibe of the car. I see absolutely no benefit to an actual key.
It's the feel/interaction of a mechanism. Same reason being is person is different than a video call etc...

Same reason people wear mechanical watches
Old 07-10-23, 11:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No desire to have keys here. If I could have my phone work as my key that would be great. Just more stuff to carry.
Phone as a key is absolutely awesome.
Old 07-10-23, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah, my brother, with his Smart-Phone-apps, can start the engine, lock or unlock doors, and keep up with a bunch of other functions on his new Kia Seltos. He's way ahead of me in that regard. I don't even use Bluetooth, Android, Alexa, Apple-Car-Play, and several other features......most of that is too complex for me.
Old 07-10-23, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's the feel/interaction of a mechanism. Same reason being is person is different than a video call etc...

Same reason people wear mechanical watches
Interesting way to put it. I can agree
Old 07-10-23, 12:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

I feel you guys on the tech, I reallllly do. That sounds really cool.

But don't you remember how solid that LS430 ignition was? How the wheel comes out the second the key hits the ignition (not when it's all the way in), and just that satisfying "thunk" when you pulled it out?

Striker put it well, I have a hand-made Swiss-made watch..... I will never, ever wear anything else, IDC if new tech can beam me to the moon.

Now, all bets are off when it comes to cheap *** cars with keys.
Old 07-10-23, 01:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ATURED/DEFAULT

Look at this POS, more stuff I like to see!!!! 205k miles?? I just posted another one with 195k last week. This guy is DELUSIONAL with that price, so I messaged him and told him I'd pay him well for the hard top. Let's hope he's crazy and will let it go. $12,500 for that junk?

LMFAOOOOOO I paid $18,3 OTD tax title license for a 9.5/10 condition one with 58k miles, sans hardtop. You guys all know how solid this car is, I can't shut up about it (sorry if that gets annoying lol).
Old 07-10-23, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I feel you guys on the tech, I reallllly do. That sounds really cool.

But don't you remember how solid that LS430 ignition was? How the wheel comes out the second the key hits the ignition (not when it's all the way in), and just that satisfying "thunk" when you pulled it out?

Striker put it well, I have a hand-made Swiss-made watch..... I will never, ever wear anything else, IDC if new tech can beam me to the moon.

Now, all bets are off when it comes to cheap *** cars with keys.
None of that makes me want to carry keys. Wallet in the left pocket, phone in the right pocket...no room for keys.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-10-23 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-10-23, 01:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
None of that makes me want to carry keys. Wallet in the left pocket, phone in the right pocket...no room for keys.
Do you use keys for anything? I know people who have none.

Also, I have noticed people putting these STUDENT DRIVER stickers on as “jokes”, love her FO sticker. Classy. (Sarcasm)

This is no “student driver” it’s some dumb 20 something with 4 colors of hair.
Old 07-10-23, 01:49 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ATURED/DEFAULT

Look at this POS, more stuff I like to see!!!! 205k miles?? I just posted another one with 195k last week. This guy is DELUSIONAL with that price, so I messaged him and told him I'd pay him well for the hard top. Let's hope he's crazy and will let it go. $12,500 for that junk?

LMFAOOOOOO I paid $18,3 OTD tax title license for a 9.5/10 condition one with 58k miles, sans hardtop. You guys all know how solid this car is, I can't shut up about it (sorry if that gets annoying lol).
I saw his pic with the original sticker showing $87k. I looked it up on an inflation calculator and that's $147k in today's dollars.
Old 07-10-23, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, everything is keyless
Old 07-10-23, 02:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I saw his pic with the original sticker showing $87k. I looked it up on an inflation calculator and that's $147k in today's dollars.
Kinda crazy, ain't it?

Which is why $1200 for motor mounts and $250 to fix and tighten a chassis brace is peanuts, so glad I have a great Indy.

People in FB groups, just fools. First they leave these in storage from 6 moths to 4 years, then they don't start...and they're clueless why. It costs between $2-3k for a good as new (actually, the hydraulics are BETTER than OEM) hydraulic system with rebuilt cylinders from top hydraulics.com. That is NOTHING for a car worth $150k in today's money, and people act like it's just some fortune. I'm on my second set on MB hydraulics and the system is very robust when working correctly, we cycle it at least 5 times a week. I'm not worried about the top messing up anytime soon, another pleasant surprise.
Old 07-10-23, 02:44 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, I have noticed people putting these STUDENT DRIVER stickers on as “jokes”, love her FO sticker. Classy. (Sarcasm)

This is no “student driver” it’s some dumb 20 something with 4 colors of hair.
Those have gotten extremely popular here in Seattle.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation