Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 02:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nope, everything is keyless
Don't blame you. I just realized for the LX I need zero keys, zip. Maybe I'll take the BS off the keychain and just use the fob never have it leave my pocket.

And don't get me wrong the START button in nice cars are high quality too, but there's nothing like inserting a key into an expensive lock.
Old 07-10-23, 03:14 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I find those student driver stickers annoying. Like they drive any better than some folks who have had their license for 20 years. What's the point?

Nothing wrong with a key. So many people complain about them, yet it takes two brain cells to press unlock on the key fob and then another three cells to insert the key and turn it for a second. Lol some of you act like it's a chore that creates a ton of stress. I couldn't imagine using a phone to unlock a car or whatever.

Part of why I never liked push button was that in my two cars that had them (a 15 Accord and the 11 ES), you couldn't continue playing music or listening to some talk show on XM without idling. If you press the button to turn off the engine, you lost 7 or 8 seconds until you started up the radio again by pressing the button. Completely annoying and I can't believe some manufacturers allowed that to happen when they introduced push button. Maybe it's not a big deal for anyone else, but I'm sure there are some that found that aspect annoying.
Old 07-10-23, 03:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yes!! And I don’t like how you have to cycle it just to get it to accessory mode (to listen to music parked like you say) as opposed to just…turning the key left one notch and cutting the engine.
Old 07-10-23, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Nothing wrong with a key. So many people complain about them, yet it takes two brain cells to press unlock on the key fob and then another three cells to insert the key and turn it for a second. Lol some of you act like it's a chore that creates a ton of stress. I couldn't imagine using a phone to unlock a car or whatever.
I just don't want to have to carry keys. You don't "use the phone" the car recognizes your phone and unlocks the doors same as if you had a smart key in your pocket. The act of using the key isn't the issue.

My wife has refused to consider any car since her Prius in 2004 with traditional keys, she doesn't want to have to rifle through her purse to find keys. I don't blame her.

Part of why I never liked push button was that in my two cars that had them (a 15 Accord and the 11 ES), you couldn't continue playing music or listening to some talk show on XM without idling. If you press the button to turn off the engine, you lost 7 or 8 seconds until you started up the radio again by pressing the button. Completely annoying and I can't believe some manufacturers allowed that to happen when they introduced push button. Maybe it's not a big deal for anyone else, but I'm sure there are some that found that aspect annoying.
Both of my cars continue playing the radio when you turn them off until you open the door (for 15 minutes or so)
Old 07-10-23, 03:25 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I just don't want to have to carry keys. You don't "use the phone" the car recognizes your phone and unlocks the doors same as if you had a smart key in your pocket. The act of using the key isn't the issue.

My wife has refused to consider any car since her Prius in 2004 with traditional keys, she doesn't want to have to rifle through her purse to find keys. I don't blame her.

Both of my cars continue playing the radio when you turn them off until you open the door (for 15 minutes or so)
Yeah, see I keep my phone in my car any chance I get. I don't carry it around with me in the store or anywhere else for that matter. I really just treat it as an emergency device, like a car wreck. So keys work just fine for me.

That's what I hear, that the Germans thought of that. I think Ford does it too with their push systems. Damn Toyota and Honda for not following suit!

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes!! And I don’t like how you have to cycle it just to get it to accessory mode (to listen to music parked like you say) as opposed to just…turning the key left one notch and cutting the engine.
100%!!
Old 07-10-23, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, see I keep my phone in my car any chance I get. I don't carry it around with me in the store or anywhere else for that matter. I really just treat it as an emergency device, like a car wreck. So keys work just fine for me.
Most people carry their phones on them all the time, and the cars also come with keys, the phone as key is just an option (well, except for Tesla)

That's what I hear, that the Germans thought of that. I think Ford does it too with their push systems. Damn Toyota and Honda for not following suit!
Chrysler too. I think everybody does but Toyota...
Old 07-10-23, 03:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Most people carry their phones on them all the time, and the cars also come with keys, the phone as key is just an option (well, except for Tesla)

It's a very simple nice feature that's kind of luxurious, silly why they don't.
Old 07-10-23, 03:33 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Yes. Talking about this reminds me of a situation. After we got our wife's new RAV4 in 2017, she gets into my car (the 05 Camry) and wants to listen to music off her phone. She doesn't remember I had an older car that had no blue-tooth. I pulled out a tape adapter from the glovebox and I told her to hook it up. She looked at me like I was insane. Last I checked it was still a way to listen to music! I suppose people get used to things rather easily.
Old 07-10-23, 04:41 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes. Talking about this reminds me of a situation. After we got our wife's new RAV4 in 2017, she gets into my car (the 05 Camry) and wants to listen to music off her phone. She doesn't remember I had an older car that had no blue-tooth. I pulled out a tape adapter from the glovebox and I told her to hook it up. She looked at me like I was insane. Last I checked it was still a way to listen to music! I suppose people get used to things rather easily.
I was getting ready to leave the airport with this rental. I had asked before taking it about whether it had CarPlay. The rep said yes. I started the car but CarPlay didn’t show up on the screen. I played with it for a good five minutes then gave up. I went to ask and was told I needed to connect my phone to the port! Lol

No desire to have keys here. If I could have my phone work as my key that would be great. Just more stuff to carry.
You’re an unusual MB owner.
Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Phone as a key is absolutely awesome.
defintely! Does tesla allow you to share key via text? I know they can start for you and you don’t need a key as long as you keep driving and not open the door. In addition to phone key, BMW also gives you a plastic key and allows to send “key” via text. Imo this is super convenient for many occasions.

None of that makes me want to carry keys. Wallet in the left pocket, phone in the right pocket...no room for keys.
I guess I’m not the only one not carrying wallet in the back. I picked up this idea from Syd(?) here and never have a wallet in the behind again.
Old 07-10-23, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS

I guess I’m not the only one not carrying wallet in the back. I picked up this idea from Syd(?) here and never have a wallet in the behind again.
Yep, Good idea. I've been doing that for decades....started doing that when I was on the subway, to make it more difficult for pickpockets when you are standing up in crowd. It is also more comfortable in the front pocket, especially while driving.
Old 07-10-23, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was getting ready to leave the airport with this rental. I had asked before taking it about whether it had CarPlay. The rep said yes. I started the car but CarPlay didn’t show up on the screen. I played with it for a good five minutes then gave up. I went to ask and was told I needed to connect my phone to the port! Lol
Last time I rented a car I went through 5 before I got one with CarPlay lol, drove the guy nuts.

You’re an unusual MB owner.
Actually they complain about not having it on MBWorld all the time

Yeah I have never been able to do that, messes up my back. I used to wear my phone on a holster on my belt (back from my StarTAC days lol) but then iPhones got too big to do that!
Old 07-10-23, 06:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

steve, maybe an expedition platinum would be good for your fam suv... 85k and yuuge.

Old 07-10-23, 06:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Stopped by the Chrysler dealer to buy new wipers for the Pacifica, I though this was pretty crappy in the service/parts department and will certainly keep me from buying anything or servicing at this dealer again:

the merchant agreement with visa/mastercard etc used to not allow them to do that with few exceptions (gas and govt were 2).

today i had a 5k invoice paid by a client with an amex... so i get to eat the $150 fee. oh well, i have the margin to be ok with it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-12-23 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-10-23, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
you see anything cool and exciting this week?
'Merica...

Old 07-10-23, 06:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

None of that makes me want to carry keys. Wallet in the left pocket, phone in the right pocket...no room for keys.
I just keep my keys in whatever car I'm driving and the cars key in my upper right side pocket, you know the small one that is normally never used for anything?

Normally since I'm already carrying enough stuff keys are the least of my concerns, "standard" for me is a carry light, two knives, multi tool on belt, spare mag, on belt left side, and a bobtail 1911.

A tiny key is so light/small it doesn't register but I can understand getting used to not carrying much, when I work I don't have anything other than a light and small knife and I downsize to a small sig to keep away from the cars. Or when I'm doing yard work I only carry the sig and a phone

My issue with keyless is it's too damn easy to get around, look up flipperzero etc and it will be quite eye opening just how easy it is. Mechanical stuff that is high end/security certified is much more resistant to people getting past these days since there is a tool and skill requirement to bypass. Certain locks like Bowely are near impossible short of physically breaking the door down

Last edited by Striker223; 07-10-23 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation