Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I just put 950 miles on a 2022 Nissan Altima I rented with the family as we drove through western Canada. I hadn't been to a Hertz location in a while where I couldn't pick my own car and this was truly my only option. A few thoughts:
- Our model felt wildly under powered, really noticeable in the mountains and when trying to pass someone. I'm sure we had the lowest end engine, 2.5L with 188HP I believe. It was sluggish.
- Seats were not comfortable. We took a 5 hour trip and everyone was complaining at the end.
- It didn't have keyless entry. I really can't understand this on new models. Having to fumble around for the keys, especially when you have things in your hands is truly a pain.
- The doors don't automatically unlock when you go from being in any gear into park. You have to manually unlock them (even double pulling on the door handle won't trigger it to unlock)
- I don't know exactly what kind of gas mileage we got, but I'm certainly glad I didn't have a big SUV there. Gas was $1.80 per liter... which is $7.20 per gallon. Factor in the favorable exchange rate and it is roughly $5.80/gallon for regular. I live in a pricey area for gas, and even here it's around $3.75/gallon for unleaded.

Maybe some of these gripes are addressed in higher end models, but I just found it odd that it lacked a couple of no brainer "features". Really made me appreciate our cars, especially the Tesla when you realize how much tech is poured into that.
i've driven the trans canada highway through banff national park and the icefields parkway from banff area to jasper in a few different rental cars.

the corolla i had was flat AWFUL, inside, outside, and drivetrain. a hyundai tucson was much better, but obviously the slowest trim. i do wonder if altitude played a part in how slow rental cars felt there. also had a chevy traverse one time... it felt pretty great overall.
Old 07-10-23, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'Merica...

I love it lol
Old 07-10-23, 07:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I just put 950 miles on a 2022 Nissan Altima I rented with the family as we drove through western Canada. I hadn't been to a Hertz location in a while where I couldn't pick my own car and this was truly my only option. A few thoughts:
- Our model felt wildly under powered, really noticeable in the mountains and when trying to pass someone. I'm sure we had the lowest end engine, 2.5L with 188HP I believe. It was sluggish.
- Seats were not comfortable. We took a 5 hour trip and everyone was complaining at the end.
- It didn't have keyless entry. I really can't understand this on new models. Having to fumble around for the keys, especially when you have things in your hands is truly a pain.
- The doors don't automatically unlock when you go from being in any gear into park. You have to manually unlock them (even double pulling on the door handle won't trigger it to unlock)
- I don't know exactly what kind of gas mileage we got, but I'm certainly glad I didn't have a big SUV there. Gas was $1.80 per liter... which is $7.20 per gallon. Factor in the favorable exchange rate and it is roughly $5.80/gallon for regular. I live in a pricey area for gas, and even here it's around $3.75/gallon for unleaded.

Maybe some of these gripes are addressed in higher end models, but I just found it odd that it lacked a couple of no brainer "features". Really made me appreciate our cars, especially the Tesla when you realize how much tech is poured into that.
I know I’m late to the party here but after I rented an Altima recently I found it to be a POS like you are describing. There wasn’t any redeeming qualities I liked compared to other cars in its class. I wanted to like it but I didn’t and it had nothing to do with some of the higher end features you are pointing out since I didn’t expect those features at that price level.
Old 07-10-23, 07:41 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

the merchant agreement with visa/mastercard etc used to not allow them to do that with few exceptions (gas and govt were 2).

today i had a 5k invoice paid by a client with an amex... so i get to each the $150 fee. oh well, i have the margin to be ok with it.
Ha, for my kitchen and bath biz people pay $20-$30k with credit cards because they want the points but also fail to realize it’s baked in the quote anyway so they are just paying for the points anyway. Last time I checked our yearly credit card fees it was around $70k.
Old 07-10-23, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

steve, maybe an expedition platinum would be good for your fam suv... 85k and yuuge.
My next-door neighbor has an Expedition that is a couple of years old (bought it new fro 73K). He loves it.

If one is going to spend the kind of money an Expedition Platinum goes for, though, might as well get a Navigator.
Old 07-10-23, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

steve, maybe an expedition platinum would be good for your fam suv... 85k and yuuge.
Too big, wife won’t drive it. I actually just watched that lol. In this segment I would get a Tahoe or a Yukon

Originally Posted by Striker223
I just keep my keys in whatever car I'm driving and the cars key in my upper right side pocket, you know the small one that is normally never used for anything?

Normally since I'm already carrying enough stuff keys are the least of my concerns, "standard" for me is a carry light, two knives, multi tool on belt, spare mag, on belt left side, and a bobtail 1911.

A tiny key is so light/small it doesn't register but I can understand getting used to not carrying much, when I work I don't have anything other than a light and small knife and I downsize to a small sig to keep away from the cars. Or when I'm doing yard work I only carry the sig and a phone

My issue with keyless is it's too damn easy to get around, look up flipperzero etc and it will be quite eye opening just how easy it is. Mechanical stuff that is high end/security certified is much more resistant to people getting past these days since there is a tool and skill requirement to bypass. Certain locks like Bowely are near impossible short of physically breaking the door down
How can you be worried about keyless entry being easy to hack but not worried about leaving your keys in the car? Do you just leave them wherever you park it?!

If somebody wants to break into my house they’ll just break a window, door lock isn’t stopping them.
Old 07-10-23, 09:12 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Too big, wife won’t drive it. I actually just watched that lol. In this segment I would get a Tahoe or a Yukon

How can you be worried about keyless entry being easy to hack but not worried about leaving your keys in the car? Do you just leave them wherever you park it?!

If somebody wants to break into my house they’ll just break a window, door lock isn’t stopping them.
I think the Ford is a better build quality. How would your wife not drive the Expedition but be okay with the GM offerings?
Old 07-10-23, 09:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

My cars are in the garage and if the keys are in them I am using the car, I take them inside when I'm not in the car. If I am parking it somewhere shady I put them in a spot that won't be checked. By keys I mean my physical keys not the cars fob etc, the other keys for house/shop/whatever

Security film really helps to prevent glass break-ins, most will go for doors since it is less obtrusive and a rake type attack looks to anyone else that you have a key for the place. Combine that with a "service" van and you can get cleaned out without anyone ever suspecting anything
Old 07-11-23, 05:21 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

https://youtu.be/vDsRnLIfZrw
I know he had to be sweating doing that review... nice and steamy this time of year. I love the styling of the Platinum Expedition. I think if it came down to it I'd still buy a Tahoe or Yukon though. I like how they drive better than a Ford. Although I will say one of my buddies bought a Navigator and I was blown away with that.
Old 07-11-23, 06:28 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I know he had to be sweating doing that review... nice and steamy this time of year. I love the styling of the Platinum Expedition. I think if it came down to it I'd still buy a Tahoe or Yukon though. I like how they drive better than a Ford. Although I will say one of my buddies bought a Navigator and I was blown away with that.
I just would realllllly like to sample the Ecoboost and really really dig deep. Not my thing but I'm sure it's very impressive.
Old 07-11-23, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I think the Ford is a better build quality. How would your wife not drive the Expedition but be okay with the GM offerings?
I agree the Fords were better in the past, but not in this current generation GM has really stepped up their game with their big SUVs. The current Expedition doesn't feel as nice nor does it drive as well.

She wouldn't want to drive the GM models either, I was just saying if I was to buy a full sized BOF SUV I would choose the GM ones.

Originally Posted by Striker223
My cars are in the garage and if the keys are in them I am using the car, I take them inside when I'm not in the car. If I am parking it somewhere shady I put them in a spot that won't be checked. By keys I mean my physical keys not the cars fob etc, the other keys for house/shop/whatever

Security film really helps to prevent glass break-ins, most will go for doors since it is less obtrusive and a rake type attack looks to anyone else that you have a key for the place. Combine that with a "service" van and you can get cleaned out without anyone ever suspecting anything
Leaving my cars unlocked and the keys inside doesn't appeal to me lol, I'd rather have my phone be my key, or have a slim key I can put in my wallet like I had for my LS.

Like I said, if somebody wants to break into your house, they're going to break into your house. I have cameras, insurance, I don't worry about it.
Old 07-11-23, 06:40 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I agree the Fords were better in the past, but not in this current generation GM has really stepped up their game with their big SUVs. The current Expedition doesn't feel as nice nor does it drive as well.

She wouldn't want to drive the GM models either, I was just saying if I was to buy a full sized BOF SUV I would choose the GM ones.

Leaving my cars unlocked and the keys inside doesn't appeal to me lol, I'd rather have my phone be my key, or have a slim key I can put in my wallet like I had for my LS.

Like I said, if somebody wants to break into your house, they're going to break into your house. I have cameras, insurance, I don't worry about it.
How doesn't it drive as well, more specifically?

I personally leave all keys in the vehicles in the garage, that's one of the perks of one.

I will have access to the new Denali this afternoon btw, it's finally getting delivered. I'll drive it around some and report back in my thread.
Old 07-11-23, 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
How doesn't it drive as well, more specifically?

I personally leave all keys in the vehicles in the garage, that's one of the perks of one.

I will have access to the new Denali this afternoon btw, it's finally getting delivered. I'll drive it around some and report back in my thread.
Its just not as refined, doesn't feel as solid, doesn't ride as well, they aren't as quiet, powertrain isn't as smooth...

People can get into your garage, I have a friend who had both cars stolen out of her garage because she left the door to the garage unlocked and they just got the keys and drove off. I leave my keys on a hook inside but the door to the garage locked.
Old 07-11-23, 06:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I had an Expedition rental in Canada last week and thought it was nice. Interior was nice to be in with decent materials. The powertrain could be smoother and the transmission searched a bit too much for my liking, but overall I got 23MPG driving from Toronto to Niagara and back with 4 adults, 2 kids, and a bunch of suitcases. My main complaint was that the auto hold / brake hold turned on too aggressively.
Old 07-11-23, 07:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

I don't leave my cars like that so I'm not sure why you directed this at me?

Someone breaking in here had better be hoping it's when we aren't home or they are dead lol!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation