Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-23, 06:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Rates are still low historically, we were spoiled by 8% for a car is not a bad rate historically, 6.75% for a house is still low.
I remember 0% in a new Toyota. Times were definitely better.
Old 07-11-23, 06:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Rates are still low historically, we were spoiled by 8% for a car is not a bad rate historically, 6.75% for a house is still low.
Sure, but that's not as low as ours all are heh heh. Ours are just STUPID low.

I remember us all talking about it and refinancing back then.
Old 07-11-23, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Cheap financing is still available from some automakers, on some models. GM, for instance, is still doing 0.9%, 1.9%, and 2.9% on a number of leftover 2023s.

Ford is also doing 0.9% and 1.9% on some of its 2023s.
Old 07-11-23, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I remember 0% in a new Toyota. Times were definitely better.
They weren’t better when you consider why rates were 0%…much healthier for the economy overall for rates to be higher.
Old 07-12-23, 07:41 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I had AHS and I couldn't get them to pay for anything, and they want me to sell AHS warranties lol. They used to be better, but anymore its really hard to get them to replace anything.
My home came with an AHS warranty. It’s pretty useless on an older home. My house was built in 1957 and it’s on a raised foundation. We had a plumbing backup after about 10 days in the home. The clean out is under the raised foundation. The AHS plumbing contractor wouldn’t touch it. I kind of understand that, but then what good is a home warranty if no one will work on the house?
Old 07-12-23, 07:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
My home came with an AHS warranty. It’s pretty useless on an older home. My house was built in 1957 and it’s on a raised foundation. We had a plumbing backup after about 10 days in the home. The clean out is under the raised foundation. The AHS plumbing contractor wouldn’t touch it. I kind of understand that, but then what good is a home warranty if no one will work on the house?
The key is to know what stuff has a limited life and then buy the warranty. I knew my water heater was dying and ice maker was already screwing up etc.

My experience wasn't the norm, though.
Old 07-12-23, 08:13 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Doesn't AHS lock you in to using certain parts and contractors? That alone steered me away from the warranties I reviewed.
Old 07-12-23, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
The key is to know what stuff has a limited life and then buy the warranty. I knew my water heater was dying and ice maker was already screwing up etc.

My experience wasn't the norm, though.
I did that, still couldn't get them to pay for anything lol

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Doesn't AHS lock you in to using certain parts and contractors? That alone steered me away from the warranties I reviewed.
They do.

Bringing it back to cars, its kind of like the dilemma with car warranties. Do you buy a factory warranty that ties you into using the dealer or a third party one thats well regarded who will pay anyone?
Old 07-12-23, 09:27 AM
link13
Lead Lap

The AHS warranty was a throw in by the seller’s agent. You don’t buy a 1957 house that was vacant for a year without expecting some issues.

For car warranties, I have never purchased an extended warranty. My GS300 was already 8 years old when I bought it from a private party. I could have purchased a warranty, but an old school member (VeilsideGS300 I believe) referred me to an excellent shop back in 2005 that I still take my cars to today.

I turned in both of my IS vehicles at lease end. My current DD could be a candidate for an extended warranty. Honda did not offer anything like that to me and probably because I paid cash to buy the car off lease rather than financing the buyout.
Old 07-12-23, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by link13
The AHS warranty was a throw in by the seller’s agent. You don’t buy a 1957 house that was vacant for a year without expecting some issues.
Oh if you get it for free, then why not?

For car warranties, I have never purchased an extended warranty. My GS300 was already 8 years old when I bought it from a private party. I could have purchased a warranty, but an old school member (VeilsideGS300 I believe) referred me to an excellent shop back in 2005 that I still take my cars to today.

I turned in both of my IS vehicles at lease end. My current DD could be a candidate for an extended warranty. Honda did not offer anything like that to me and probably because I paid cash to buy the car off lease rather than financing the buyout.
For a GS I wouldn't buy one, I would for an LS...and if I keep my S560 I will. I'm actually starting the process of deciding what to do, I did just find out that the MB Extended warranty does not cover the air suspension, which makes me want to look at alternatives...
Old 07-12-23, 10:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

For a GS I wouldn't buy one, I would for an LS...and if I keep my S560 I will. I'm actually starting the process of deciding what to do, I did just find out that the MB Extended warranty does not cover the air suspension, which makes me want to look at alternatives...
The suspension exclusion is bizarre imo. They also exclude some of the convertible top mechanisms which I found equally odd. I'm sure you've researched this on MB World, but in the cases where I've kept any of my European cars past the factory warranty I've always had good experience with the Fidelity Platinum warranty.
Old 07-12-23, 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The suspension exclusion is bizarre imo. They also exclude some of the convertible top mechanisms which I found equally odd. I'm sure you've researched this on MB World, but in the cases where I've kept any of my European cars past the factory warranty I've always had good experience with the Fidelity Platinum warranty.
I have heard the same thing about Fidelity
Old 07-12-23, 11:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm not surprised that they carve out exclusions for "money pit" systems like air/hydraulic suspension and convertible tops. They do intend to make money (in aggregate) on these policies, after all.

On the convertible we just inherited from my FIL, I've learned that if it ever has an issue with the roof, the car will be mechanically totalled. Individual parts were never available, so the only repair option is an entirely new unit for ~$17k installed. Which is actually no longer available anyway, but still not a cost the finance/warranty arm would want to pick up during a typical extended warranty period.
Old 07-12-23, 11:34 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Oh if you get it for free, then why not?

It does seem like air suspension on the S class is a failure item. I see quite a few that are 5ish years old where it’s obvious the air suspension failed. It’s also true of Lexus LS cars that have air suspension.

The GS, I figured it would have some issues over time. It needed front control arms, which was a bit speedy. I bought the car with 59k miles. The most major failure was the head gasket at 177k miles. Lexus did address the head gasket in the 2GS. In the 1GS, the head gaskets would corrode and then fail catastrophically. The car was quite modified cosmetically with paint, interior, Veilside kit etc so I had to fix it. I hired two friends who are Supra guys to fix it. They know the 2JZ-GE quite well. They have 2JZ-GTEs in their Supras. The internals on the N/A engines are identical though.
Old 07-12-23, 03:54 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

The Genesis G90 looks sick. I watched the Throttle House video of it last night and I was amazed. I don't get that way often about modern cars but that captivated me. I think you mentioned how it's high on your list. You should go drive it again and see if it's still worthy of replacing your 560.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation