Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-23, 05:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The old full color model sales brochures were masters of this marketing-speak. Full color, beautiful photography and product descriptions that would make you feel really good about the car/model you were considering. No doubt they were expensive to produce but they were fun to read and take home. I think I have a few selected ones in the basement.
I have a ton of them. My dad was in the commercial printing paper industry, he sold paper to printers and magazines and stuff like that. He had several accounts with printers who printed these brochures. He also had an account with Lexus for some years, and that big hardcover “the Lexus Story” book with the metal black pearl emblem on the cover is printed on his paper.

The fact that they don’t make stuff like that anymore is why that industry is totally dead, he retired at the right time and his company he worked for which was once one of the largest paper merchants in the mid Atlantic filed BK shortly after he died.
Old 07-23-23, 05:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When you considered a 7 series or S Class was $20-30,000 more it was still really cheap. $60k then is like $95k now, so they were like a LS500 or Genesis G90. Huge value.
E38 wasn't 20k more, my Dad had a $70,000 740iL. The problem with the 400 then was it lacked features that the others were coming out with or had, some simple like steering wheel audio controls. W220 was just around the corner and loaded with new tech. LS430 took care of all of that. Doesn't mean LS400 wasn't a fantastic automobile better than competition, but it did lack features others had by 2000.

Lets think about that. How many wind tunnels do you think there are in Japan? Toyota booked time in the one that was used to design bullet trains. That’s all, then they can use that as a marketing puff “designed in the wind tunnel used to desig bullet trains” a wind tunnel is a wind tunnel. We don’t have trains here that go 200 MPH but that has nothing to do with aerodynamics. It’s because we don’t have the infrastructure, the space or the desire to make such trains and train travel here is nowhere near as desirable as it is there.
Right, thus we don't have the technology they have because we don't need it. Their wind tunnels are superior to ours. They sure did something because the 430 is a very tall car, yet it was the most aerodynamic car in production at the time.

like the 12 takemi masters that made shimamoku wood trim that was in my 460s. They pretend that’s some huge honor and only so many masters were trained…when all they probably needed was 12 to be trained. How many years of training would they put in to people to design a wood trim option they only offered for 8 years or so and then abandoned? Makes no sense.
To be fair that was a really special steering wheel. That was one area the old 460 stood out. So you don't believe that the wheels took 21 days or whatever to make? Yes LS460 was a mass production car but they weren't exactly a dime a dozen. Why would Lexus perpetuate all this false advertising?

Another example is spring water. Do you really think glacier water is drained from some glacier floating in the arctic sea? Do they go out to it in a boat and chip it off and melt it and put it into bottles? Of course not it’s bottled in a plant. Do you think they just gather up spring water for Evian water and bottle it? Of course not, its made in a plant like every other kind of bottled water.
Lol well no. But water is $1 a bottle, not a full fledged luxury car that was engineered to beat the world's best.

This is all just puffery that is used to convince people that their product is special and unique and it’s really not. It’s excellent and well made and designed and engineered, but it’s just a mass produced product built to a price at the end of the day.
Sure, but that doesn't mean this is all false advertising. Maybe they exaggerate a bit but I have no doubt they did their research. Lexus spent a lot of time with the original figuring out the best way to use wood, and they picked Yamaha. Me personally I think Lexus does or did wood the best.

So have I. No nicer than furniture you can buy for your house. It’s like furniture you would find in a Havertys home store and could buy with 0% financing. Why would Lexus designers look at that and not fine CARS like Rolls Royce’s and Bentleys? What does a table or a couch tell them?
This is really getting tit for tat but they went into all the penthouses, etc. etc.

Exactly, and reviews at the time mentioned that. MotorWeek has a retro review of the 1990 LS400 on YouTube and they mention that..
I have a C&D article that explains how Lexus made the original LS400 smell like a Jaguar inside.

By the time our 98 came out the leather was VERY nice. But, it didn’t smell like leather inside they designed it not to.

BTW, my S Class never smelled like leather either.
Again, my 20 year old LS430 still smells like leather. So does my friend's who has the upgrade.

Maybe their claims were exaggerated a bit, sure, but I just don't believe that was all false advertising.

You said yourself how good the LS430 was, it won comparison tests and they're still all over the place at least here.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-23-23 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-23-23, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
E38 wasn't 20k more, my Dad had a $70,000 740iL. The problem with the 400 then was it lacked features that the others were coming out with or had, some simple like steering wheel audio controls. W220 was just around the corner and loaded with new tech. LS430 took care of all of that. Doesn't mean LS400 wasn't a fantastic automobile better than competition, but it did lack features others had by 2000.
Yeah, exactly. My dads 2004 UL LS430 with every option was $69,000 (I have the sticker). That $70,000 740 was not optioned like that loaded LS430, optioned more like Modern Lux 430 with stickered for about $58,000. So, $12,000 cheaper. That’s 17% cheaper. What year was his 740? Prices jumped a lot from year to year between 2000-2004 too

Right, thus we don't have the technology they have because we don't need it. Their wind tunnels are superior to ours. They sure did something because the 430 is a very tall car, yet it was the most aerodynamic car in production at the time.
No, they have wind tuning engineers that are superior to ours. A wind tunnel is a wind tunnel. But anybody can hire those people, they aren’t exclusive to Lexus.

To be fair that was a really special steering wheel. That was one area the old 460 stood out. So you don't believe that the wheels took 21 days or whatever to make? Yes LS460 was a mass production car but they weren't exactly a dime a dozen. Why would Lexus perpetuate all this false advertising?
No I do believe they took that long to make, I just don’t believe all the fluff about there being 12 “masters” who make the wood.

It’s not false advertising, it’s marketing puffery. Everybody does it. We do it when we market homes. Lexus did it because they were the underdog trying to prove themselves. Note the Germans don’t do stuff like that, they don’t have to. Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln, Acura all did. Wood in a Mercedes is “wood”, wood in a Lexus is “hand chosen from the same tree by Yamaha, the maker of fine musical instruments and crafted by a takumi master who trains for 15 years”. It’s wood lol.

Lol well no. But water is $1 a bottle, not a full fledged luxury car that was engineered to beat the world's best.
Uh, when’s the last time you bought water? Deer Park water is $1. These fancy companies charge $5, 6, 7 even 8 for a bottle of water, and they use this puffery to try and substantiate to a consumer why they should spend that vs a bottle of deer park. It makes them feel special and makes them want to spend the money.

By the way, I’m on the beach and you see what I’m drinking:

I have a C&D article that explains how Lexus made the original LS400 smell like a Jaguar inside.
Well, you have people here who had them new and other publications who tested them new that disagree

Again, my 20 year old LS430 still smells like leather. So does my friend's who has the upgrade.
Maybe it’s the aging process of the leather, all I can tell you is that new they didn’t smell like leather inside.

[quote-]You said yourself how good the LS430 was, it won comparison tests and they're still all over the place at least here.[/QUOTE]

Of course it was great, as was the LS400 but that doesn’t mean Lexus didn’t wildly change exaggerate and puff much of what they did to design it. They designed a great car, it wasn’t modeled after bullet trains and didn’t have seats modeled after jet seats, the interior wasn’t modeled after 5 star hotels…

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-23-23 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-23-23, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately our new room doesn’t have an end reserved space. Poor cloudy (my kids name for the S560) has neighbors to each side lol

Old 07-23-23, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
When my dad got his LS400 the one thing that slightly disappointed me was that the leather didn’t look,feel, or smell like real leather. He’d just come out of a Jag so the contrast was obvious. The fact that Lexus had to put swing tags on each headrest saying “Genuine Leather” suggests they acknowledged the issue. Still a great car though.
I used to keep a brochure for every new car that I bought. I think I still have a few. I'll have to see if I can find them.

The writing, descriptions and claims used in them was pretty corny by today's standards. But fun to read.
Old 07-23-23, 08:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

No, they have wind tuning engineers that are superior to ours. A wind tunnel is a wind tunnel. But anybody can hire those people, they aren’t exclusive to Lexus.

No I do believe they took that long to make, I just don’t believe all the fluff about there being 12 “masters” who make the wood.
Ok, I’ll give you that they may exaggerate. But hey, 12 days to make a steering wheel is 12 days to make a steering wheel… that’s extremely impressive. The wood is fantastic in an LS430, I believe they did their due diligence rather than just slapping more wood trim inside.

Uh, when’s the last time you bought water? Deer Park water is $1. These fancy companies charge $5, 6, 7 even 8 for a bottle of water, and they use this puffery to try and substantiate to a consumer why they should spend that vs a bottle of deer park. It makes them feel special and makes them want to spend the money.
$7 for a bottle of water?? Believe it or not some (not all, or not many) of the water companies really do do that, take it from a spring or have their “setup” built around the river etc etc. Then they reverse osmosis it or whatever, etc. I saw this neat documentary about it because I was curious too.

Old 07-23-23, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
$7 for a bottle of water?? Believe it or not some (not all, or not many) of the water companies really do do that, take it from a spring or have their “setup” built around the river etc etc. Then they reverse osmosis it or whatever, etc. I saw this neat documentary about it because I was curious too.
Sure like I said, they aren’t lying they are just exaggerating. At the end of the day, it’s water.
Old 07-23-23, 09:02 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
LOL ok this made me laugh.

To be fair all the article said was they “studied” hotel couches and luxury airline seats. The term “studied” is subjective and could mean anything but I don’t doubt they studied it. I have stayed at some nice hotels but maybe I haven’t stayed at the ones they studied because I have not been impressed with any hotel furniture.
I have no doubt that a group of Toyota designers and marketers convinced Corporate that it was essential for them to travel the World, stay in luxury hotels, drive luxury vehicles etc. during the LS400 development. And well done them I say, if you can get away with it, good for you. I doff my cap to their enterprise.
Old 07-23-23, 04:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
things can and are changing.

haha... i was blown away by some of the furniture in hotels on south beach miami!

ok take the ***** swinging contest elsewhere... you feel 'very good' about your audis, w12's etc., and how 'smart' you are not buying new cars, as this post attests, but of course most people can't do the repairs you can.

many are 'proud' of their buying decisions for sure, but no need to use them to put down anyone else's choices in order to make themselves feel superior.
Oh I am just saying I buy used so I can have my house paid off at 28 at this rate, then I'll buy whatever I want car wise if I can validate the cost to myself.

That's very correct I can do things most people can't and I'm free to leverage that to drive whatever I want. That also means I objectively have far superior cars dollar for dollar than nearly anyone and can own stuff most will never be able to. That's literally why I learned to do this, I wanted supercars before I was 30 so I could be young enough to properly enjoy them and not be a 70+ year old who can't.
Old 07-23-23, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

so i'm back stay with fam in s. fl in the truman show.

one thing i notice while on my walk obviously is cars in the driveways in this 'senior' community. they fall into patterns

the all american:

mr. and mrs. mitsubishi

old school cigar smokers...

japanese mixed bag toyota/nissan:

all in on nissan:

honorable mention, i think this trailblazer is a really sharp design:

discuss...
Old 07-23-23, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

discuss...

No Koreans? Or did you just not take a shot of any?

honorable mention, i think this Trailblazer is a really sharp design:
Hard to beat them for the money. They start at only 22K.

That is also the case for the latest Chevy Trax...they start at only 20K.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-23 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-23-23, 08:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

so i'm back stay with fam in s. fl in the truman show.

one thing i notice while on my walk obviously is cars in the driveways in this 'senior' community. they fall into patterns

the all american:

mr. and mrs. mitsubishi

old school cigar smokers...

japanese mixed bag toyota/nissan:

all in on nissan:

honorable mention, i think this trailblazer is a really sharp design:

discuss...
All of those cars are really clean! It looks like The Villages South. Very tidy.
Old 07-23-23, 08:55 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

mr. and mrs. mitsubishi

discuss...
Interesting choice of cars for a household. They must have some loyalty towards Mitsubishi which you don’t see often these days. I can’t even tell you they last time I’ve seen a Mitsubishi dealer or even considered one outside of the mid-nineties Eclipse GSX and 3000GT.

Interestingly enough my friend that owns a used car lot said he is going to try and get into a new dealership and the manufacturer he would consider was Mitsubishi since it’s too hard to get dealerships of other around me.
Old 07-23-23, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No Koreans? Or did you just not take a shot of any?
don't recall seeing any but will see on my walk tomorrow.
Old 07-24-23, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats really a funny observation lol. It’s similar in the retirement community in NJ my in laws live in.

Saw this yesterday, first modded current generation Yukon I have seen.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh I am just saying I buy used so I can have my house paid off at 28 at this rate, then I'll buy whatever I want car wise if I can validate the cost to myself.
Our income and lifestyle situations are also quite different.

That's very correct I can do things most people can't and I'm free to leverage that to drive whatever I want. That also means I objectively have far superior cars dollar for dollar than nearly anyone and can own stuff most will never be able to. That's literally why I learned to do this, I wanted supercars before I was 30 so I could be young enough to properly enjoy them and not be a 70+ year old who can't.
If someone wants old cars perhaps. I don’t care how well they run I just don’t want old cars.

And you haven’t met many 70 year olds. I know lots of 70 year olds who absolutely can properly enjoy cars. 70 is not necessarily old today. There are also many many people much younger than that who can buy cars like you are talking about and enjoy them.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation