Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It wasn't that great a deal, I saved about $200 a month from what a "typical" W222 lease deal was, market factors of course make the difference now but the point is the same, if I'm gonna pay way more I have to really love and want the car.
well, $200 isn't nothing and eveyrthing went up anyway, so you're going to pay more unless you get less.

But he would get NO comments. The fact that people are commenting means it makes a positive impression on people.
like you said, it's polarizing so some are going to like it and some will tell him, and others run in the other direction, go behind a building, and vomit. he doesn't see those

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Did he have same color? I know this guy who got two model S same color. They must love their car a lot. I got same models before but I got different colors.
yup, black, black, and uh, black. all his other vehicles? also black.
Old 08-24-23, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well, $200 isn't nothing and eveyrthing went up anyway, so you're going to pay more unless you get less.
Of course, but thats the point. if I'm going to pay more it has to be something I really want more than what I have.

like you said, it's polarizing so some are going to like it and some will tell him, and others run in the other direction, go behind a building, and vomit. he doesn't see those
But that doesn't negate that a lot of people do actually like it. Everybody we know who has also seen his 760 also like it. I think out on the road more people like the car than you'd think.
Old 08-24-23, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so ls400 fans - who knew they could be autocrossed

more about the build...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...vip-build.html
Old 08-24-23, 12:46 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

There is no car that can't be. Question is if it's worth gutting it to the point where it isn't representing the OG car in any way but outside shape and form. Suspension, chassis and drivetrain mods should be able to take it far enough, no? You know, Keiichi Tsuchiya-style builds - whatever you do, don't compromise the interior and make sure it can still be driven relatively comfortably on the steets. You'd be surprised how far that philosophy can carry you
Old 08-24-23, 05:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I have many engines right now lol

Stupid Jeep blew its fan relay for the 5th time, I swear now that it knows I have its replacement it is actively trying to die...
Old 08-24-23, 08:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I feel the same way about sedans. I really don’t like driving my X7 unless it is on a road trip, I’m just not a SUV guy. There is a lot to like about them, but for me just not to drive every day.
I feel you and owned sedans until recently, now I'd never drive anything else other than a BOF luxury SUV.

We just drove 700 miles today, we've owned LX for over two years and never taken a road trip.

I have never owned a better road trip vehicle than the LX. It doesn't ride quite as well as the LS430 (but still excellently) but the other things make up for it. Believe it or not the LX is "sneakier" than the LS430 in terms of speed feel without looking at speedometer. I caught myself going 85-90+ and thinking I was going like 60 several times at first, literally those speeds. It is as quiet as an LS inside, or seems like it. Seating position is great for freeway driving, feels like the tank it is for safety, has cooler that we used, tons of room, 4 zone climate (dogs and spouse in the back), plenty of power on the freeway even past 100, and to top it off, 21MPG average (well, 20.8). After all these back surgeries, we only stopped once and I got out feeling still refreshed as well. Could have kept going for hours and hours and hours if I didn't need to sleep.

I could drive this thing to Alaska and happily would, and probably will next year when we just take off for vacation. V8 rumble I enjoyed the whole way. .

Can't wait for Moab!!!

Old 08-24-23, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
I feel you and owned sedans until recently, now I'd never drive anything else other than a BOF luxury SUV
So you’re getting rid of the LS and the SL then?
Old 08-24-23, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Check this thing out

Old 08-24-23, 09:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Soon.....very soon. Almost able to import them.
Old 08-24-23, 11:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel like that sounds cool in theory but in practice I’d hate it. I can only imagine how nose heavy it feels.
Old 08-25-23, 04:53 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I feel you and owned sedans until recently, now I'd never drive anything else other than a BOF luxury SUV.

We just drove 700 miles today, we've owned LX for over two years and never taken a road trip.

I have never owned a better road trip vehicle than the LX. It doesn't ride quite as well as the LS430 (but still excellently) but the other things make up for it. Believe it or not the LX is "sneakier" than the LS430 in terms of speed feel without looking at speedometer. I caught myself going 85-90+ and thinking I was going like 60 several times at first, literally those speeds. It is as quiet as an LS inside, or seems like it. Seating position is great for freeway driving, feels like the tank it is for safety, has cooler that we used, tons of room, 4 zone climate (dogs and spouse in the back), plenty of power on the freeway even past 100, and to top it off, 21MPG average (well, 20.8). After all these back surgeries, we only stopped once and I got out feeling still refreshed as well. Could have kept going for hours and hours and hours if I didn't need to sleep.

I could drive this thing to Alaska and happily would, and probably will next year when we just take off for vacation. V8 rumble I enjoyed the whole way. .

Can't wait for Moab!!!
For me it’s not the comfort, it’s the feeling of driving something that is not so big everyday where it makes it feel laborious which is what large SUVs feel like to me. I like something smaller to hop around in for short trips to run errands and such. They are easier to navigate through parking lots and to park as well as taking sharp turns. I also like that when I’m driving faster they handle way better and you feel way more confident at those speeds.
Old 08-25-23, 06:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I feel like that sounds cool in theory but in practice I’d hate it. I can only imagine how nose heavy it feels.
It's probably not too bad if the V8 version is anything to go by, the W12 isn't much heavier and is mounted very low since it's a dry sump engine.

Speaking of W12.....I saw a dealer list this one for an insane price considering miles. I'm half temped to ask them if they would take 10k lol!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...7/NONE/DEFAULT
Old 08-25-23, 06:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's probably not too bad if the V8 version is anything to go by, the W12 isn't much heavier and is mounted very low since it's a dry sump engine.

Speaking of W12.....I saw a dealer list this one for an insane price considering miles. I'm half temped to ask them if they would take 10k lol!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...7/NONE/DEFAULT
That thing looks awesome for 226k miles on it. Does your backseat have that executive package? I personally wouldn't touch it but since you can work on it yourself, why not.
Old 08-25-23, 07:11 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so ls400 fans - who knew they could be autocrossed
that's what's always made the LS a much more serious car than the ES (and why the LS may not seem worth it to someone who just slowly putters around town), it can be pushed to the limit and still hang in there and maintain composure, while always feeling like its up to the task

with a faster steering rack, firmer shocks (much firmer lol), and some weight taken out i can see it being a fairly capable autocross car lol
Old 08-25-23, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

wow, beautiful in and out. still old though, lol.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Soon.....very soon. Almost able to import them.
how is that different from the one you already have? and you're really thinking of getting another one?

Originally Posted by patgilm
For me it’s not the comfort, it’s the feeling of driving something that is not so big everyday where it makes it feel laborious which is what large SUVs feel like to me. I like something smaller to hop around in for short trips to run errands and such. They are easier to navigate through parking lots and to park as well as taking sharp turns. I also like that when I’m driving faster they handle way better and you feel way more confident at those speeds.
i agree. i guess it's a question of whether one does more long trips or short trips. i've realized i really don't like driving large vehicles, especially in parking lots! the room is nice though, if you need it.

my santa fe is a great size. it definitely has more utility than the grand cherokee i had for example and way better 2nd row seating room (and cargo room). the genesis g90 i had had acres of rear seat room lol but was obviously a big long car. i actually didn't mind driving it though... i guess the steering, suspension etc was so good it didn't feel huge. but from a utility standpoint, there's only so much you can fit in a trunk, so an suv works better for me for work. a friend got a ford expedition for the year end tax write off (over 6000lbs) and it's nice, but enormous. no thanks, lol. i have to buy out or replace the santa fe later this year or early next year, and not sure what i'm going to do yet. a tesla model y would probably work well, but there's just too many negatives for me. kia/hyundai have an onslaught of ev's coming too, so there will be loads of options if i go ev. but i still may just buy out the santa fe. it's been great.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation