Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 09:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have no idea which one does a better job, all I can say, is downsizing from a 6 to 4 is a terrible thing to do. Especially if you’re using or used to V6 engines for a long time. There is nothing to convince me, that a four-cylinder is superior to a V6. Four cylinders are noisy, and they vibrate, and an RX is supposed to be a luxury crossover
Not all vibrate and are noisy. These days there are some very smooth and quiet ones out there. Are they better than V6's? As we can see here opinions will vary.
Old 08-28-23, 09:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
Incorrect, Lexus used the NA V8 for the way they sound in the LC 500, GS F, RC F, and IS 500. They sound amazing!!! I would know. We have had a GS F and M550i. I know the difference in sound and feel of a AWD turbo V8 vs a NA V8 in a performance vehicle. Do you?
I'm not incorrect, Lexus has not decided to keep using the same engine for 16 years in their cars simply because they like the sound. Yes it does sound great, but the economy of continuing to use that engine that has long since earned its keep is the reason why they even make those vehicles. If they needed to develop a new modern V8 there would be no LC, for example. There will be no modern 6 cyls from Lexus or Toyota, the next gen ES will have the new turbo 4. So if you want 6 and 8 cyl power from Lexus, its going to be from these 16 year old engines or its not going to exist period. The TTV6 thats in the LS and LX etc is the last non 4 cyl engine you will see come from Toyota, and I'm mystified as to why they haven't used it more.

Contrast that to the Germans and even Cadillac which have continued to invest in new, modern 6 cyl and 8 cyl engines, and look at the sales performance of those vehicles vs the sales performance of those Lexus vehicles and its really clear which approach the buying public prefers. Its hard to make an argument that Lexus is "right" in their approach when all the sales figures suggest they aren't. The reality is they don't care about being right, they are milking these old platforms and these old engines and these cars are all profit for them now so they don't care if they sell many. But, the result of that is there will be no next gen LC or IS as we know them because the investment isn't worth it for Lexus, they will be replaced by EVs.

I absolutely do recognize the sound difference, but do you recognize the performance difference? You're giving up a lot of feel and performance for sound. You've had both and you're okay with that tradeoff but other people are not wrong for wanting the opposite and wanting the performance over the sound.
Old 08-28-23, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have no idea which one does a better job, all I can say, is downsizing from a 6 to 4 is a terrible thing to do. Especially if you’re using or used to V6 engines for a long time. There is nothing to convince me, that a four-cylinder is superior to a V6. Four cylinders are noisy, and they vibrate, and an RX is supposed to be a luxury crossover
All 4 cyls aren't like that. None of them sound as good as a V6, but some of them are close.

Reality is though, by and large buyers don't care. Look at the MB GLE, they have available a 350 4 cyl, a 450 6 cyl and a 580 8 cyl. Overwhelmingly you see 4 cyl GLE350s...if I see a GLE450 its rare, and a GLE580 is almost impossible to find on the road.
Old 08-28-23, 09:41 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm not incorrect, Lexus has not decided to keep using the same engine for 16 years in their cars simply because they like the sound. Yes it does sound great, but the economy of continuing to use that engine that has long since earned its keep is the reason why they even make those vehicles. If they needed to develop a new modern V8 there would be no LC, for example. There will be no modern 6 cyls from Lexus or Toyota, the next gen ES will have the new turbo 4. So if you want 6 and 8 cyl power from Lexus, its going to be from these 16 year old engines or its not going to exist period. The TTV6 thats in the LS and LX etc is the last non 4 cyl engine you will see come from Toyota, and I'm mystified as to why they haven't used it more.

Contrast that to the Germans and even Cadillac which have continued to invest in new, modern 6 cyl and 8 cyl engines, and look at the sales performance of those vehicles vs the sales performance of those Lexus vehicles and its really clear which approach the buying public prefers. Its hard to make an argument that Lexus is "right" in their approach when all the sales figures suggest they aren't. The reality is they don't care about being right, they are milking these old platforms and these old engines and these cars are all profit for them now so they don't care if they sell many. But, the result of that is there will be no next gen LC or IS as we know them because the investment isn't worth it for Lexus, they will be replaced by EVs.

I absolutely do recognize the sound difference, but do you recognize the performance difference? You're giving up a lot of feel and performance for sound. You've had both and you're okay with that tradeoff but other people are not wrong for wanting the opposite and wanting the performance over the sound.
I never said said they are wrong. I bought them myself. Was I wrong? Only that there are some benefits to NA. Is it impossible to think someone could go to NA from a turbo and still be happy? You seem to think so. Do you think someone who buys a 458 or GT3 wants to go back to a turbo? Do those NA engines not perform well?
Old 08-28-23, 09:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sodbuster1
I never said said they are wrong. I bought them myself. Was I wrong? Only that there are some benefits to NA. Is it impossible to think someone could go to NA from a turbo and still be happy? You seem to think so. Do you think someone who buys a 458 or GT3 wants to go back to a turbo? Do those NA engines not perform well?
You are putting words in my mouth, I never said anything of the sort. Yes you have said what i chose to buy was wrong many times. Everything doesn’t have to be an argument.
Old 08-28-23, 10:07 AM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are putting words in my mouth, I never said anything of the sort. Everything doesn’t have to be an argument.
uhh, pot calling kettle. I never said or think people who buy turbo’s are wrong. I never said what you leased was wrong. I said I would not buy one. There’s a difference. What’s right for you doesn’t have to be right for me. Stop putting words in my mouth. I’ve even complimented you on the interior.

Last edited by Sodbuster1; 08-28-23 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-28-23, 10:26 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

all this truck needs is a flag ….
As long as it doesn't die from rust, these old trucks will go and go.

Kill the engine?
No problem, drop another one in and keep trucking.

500k miles on these older trucks is possible.
Old 08-28-23, 10:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I personally liked the large NA V8 I had in my SRT Durango compared to the TTV8 in my X7. I loved the torque off the line of the large V8 in the SRT Durango where even at half throttle it jumped of the line faster. With the X7 it doesn't do that and I'm sure it wasn't really meant to do that or feel that way since they are for different buyers but for me give me the big hemi V8. The one benefit I do see is that gas mileage is noticeably better with the smaller TTV8.
Old 08-28-23, 10:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I personally liked the large NA V8 I had in my SRT Durango compared to the TTV8 in my X7. I loved the torque off the line of the large V8 in the SRT Durango where even at half throttle it jumped of the line faster. With the X7 it doesn't do that and I'm sure it wasn't really meant to do that or feel that way since they are for different buyers but for me give me the big hemi V8. The one benefit I do see is that gas mileage is noticeably better with the smaller TTV8.
A lot of that is due to the tuning of the transmission and throttle though. The M5 doesn’t act like that, for example.
Old 08-28-23, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
As long as it doesn't die from rust, these old trucks will go and go.
That's the problem. Old Dodge trucks often DID rust...often big-time.
Old 08-28-23, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Is it the same way in sport mode? My S560 starts in second gear in comfort mode, and there is a huge difference between sport engine mode which starts in first.
Old 08-28-23, 01:08 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
A lot of that is due to the tuning of the transmission and throttle though. The M5 doesn’t act like that, for example.
I'm sure it is, it just makes the truck feel so heavy the way it is tuned.

Is it the same way in sport mode? My S560 starts in second gear in comfort mode, and there is a huge difference between sport engine mode which starts in first.
Good question and I will have to try it out. I have driven in Sport + mode on occasion and didn't notice much difference but it has been a while so maybe I need to try that out and see if that changes my mind. I drive in my own customized sport mode often because I like the stiffer suspension and exhaust but I keep the trans/engine in comfort because I don't like the way it holds gears when I am just driving normally.
Old 08-28-23, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I have my individual mode set to engine sport and the rest comfort and I had it coded to default to that
Old 08-28-23, 02:10 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah I have my individual mode set to engine sport and the rest comfort and I had it coded to default to that
I have not driven X7. I thought I would be identical but it didn't seem so from his post. In my 40i, it's almost annoying to drive in S+ on local streets. I love it when on freeway because it responds instantly and steering is nice. But on local streets, stop and go, it's freaking annoying. I can not drive it. There is Sport Individual where you can change certain settings and basically you can make it like Comfort. Some do this to bypass the ***. Like yours, it can be coded to remember last state/default state. Maybe BMW does the same way like yours when it starts out at different gear. The difference is day and night to me. The sound too esp when you add IconicSound to it.
Old 08-28-23, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I have had cars that aggressively hold gears in sport and that is annoying, thankfully my S560 isn’t like that

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation