Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 02:00 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In a straight line. Not when you had to turn or park etc.

My dad got these as loaners when he had his Continental. We all much preferred the Continental.
i actually owe this car a huge amount of gratitude

my grandparents owned this car when i was a little kid, and it was such unreliable junk that my grandpa bought the LS on the basis of consumer reports giving it such top marks for quality and reliability

luckily they had already gotten rid of it by the time i was in need of a car, and being the older sibling i got the LS passed down to me lol

i do remember liking how cushy and spacious the back seat of this car was though even as a kid, and i remember how boat like the ride and handling was
Old 09-22-23, 02:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

my grandparents owned this car when i was a little kid, and it was such unreliable junk that my grandpa bought the LS on the basis of consumer reports giving it such top marks for quality and reliability

luckily they had already gotten rid of it by the time i was in need of a car, and being the older sibling i got the LS passed down to me lol

i do remember liking how cushy and spacious the back seat of this car was though even as a kid, and i remember how boat like the ride and handling was
Conti weren't terrible cars, they just had a bunch of superfluous unreliable bull**** like the air suspension. The car and motor and drive was solid. They were everywhere at one time.

I'm a Caddy guy though, those Contis were slow with that weak 3.8 and by then the Cadillacs had become quick for the time with updated V8s.

But yes those were nice cars. I've been in several, quiet and comfy is what I remember.
Old 09-22-23, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

Reliable it was not lol, but it rode nice and was spacious without being absurdly huge outside and handled better than the Town Car.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Conti weren't terrible cars, they just had a bunch of superfluous unreliable bull**** like the air suspension. The car and motor and drive was solid. They were everywhere at one time.

I'm a Caddy guy though, those Contis were slow with that weak 3.8 and by then the Cadillacs had become quick for the time with updated V8s.

But yes those were nice cars. I've been in several, quiet and comfy is what I remember.
The TC had the same air suspension.
Old 09-22-23, 03:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The TC had the same air suspension.
Interesting. I can't recall many or any Panther TCs with drooping rear ends.....
Old 09-22-23, 03:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting. I can't recall many or any Panther TCs with drooping rear ends.....
We grew up in different neighborhoods clearly. Droopy Grand Marquis and Town Cars were a regular sight in Atlanta. I used to be on the lookout for them as a child until I got preoccupied with poorly maintained Range Rovers and W220 S-classes riding around on their bump stops.
Old 09-22-23, 03:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
We grew up in different neighborhoods clearly.
Lol for the life of me I can't remember a Town Car with a drooping rear end like the Contis.
Old 09-22-23, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I absolutely remember them lol
Old 09-22-23, 07:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hond...KjYzKI7qUCVxrE

Honda made a 5.0L outboard with VTEC.

How awesome would something like that be in an Acura? Oh that’s right….. cars are so bad.
Old 09-22-23, 07:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hond...KjYzKI7qUCVxrE

Honda made a 5.0L outboard with VTEC.

How awesome would something like that be in an Acura? Oh that’s right….. cars are so bad.
wow. That’s crazy

your link. Look what I found

I never knew

Old 09-22-23, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

In a straight line. Not when you had to turn or park etc.

My dad got these as loaners when he had his Continental. We all much preferred the Continental.
When the latest Continental debuted several years ago, I distinctly remember you panned it for using a stretched version of the FWD/AWD Taurus platform.......and about how the RWD/AWD Cadillac CT6 platform was so much better. The 90s Continental your father had was also a stretched Taurus platform.
Old 09-22-23, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When the latest Continental debuted several years ago, I distinctly remember you panned it for using a stretched version of the FWD/AWD Taurus platform.......and about how the RWD/AWD Cadillac CT6 platform was so much better. The 90s Continental your father had was also a stretched Taurus platform.
Yeah at that point the Continental was totally outclassed. Remember back in the 90s though FWD luxury cars like the Continental were way more common, the Cadillac Seville was FWD, etc. Those cars were also much cheaper than their competitors, when the latest Continental was out it was a different world where RWD offerings were much more accessible.

When you compared that 90s Continental to its competitors it was the better car IMO, the 92 Seville was a huge improvement but what Cadillac sold in 1990 was terrible IMO
Old 09-23-23, 05:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah at that point the Continental was totally outclassed. Remember back in the 90s though FWD luxury cars like the Continental were way more common, the Cadillac Seville was FWD, etc. Those cars were also much cheaper than their competitors, when the latest Continental was out it was a different world where RWD offerings were much more accessible.

When you compared that 90s Continental to its competitors it was the better car IMO, the 92 Seville was a huge improvement but what Cadillac sold in 1990 was terrible IMO
GM and Ford missed their chance in the 1990s to make a new RWD sedan Instead they went with the FWD stuff, and in GMs absolutely awful reliable and the consumer was driving an outclassed and outdated car. Ford eventually made a Lincoln LS rwd car….but they then cancelled the next generation. Just terrible product decisions by the American brands. I still really liked the STS and even liked the Eldorado, but they has terrible reliability
Old 09-23-23, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
GM and Ford missed their chance in the 1990s to make a new RWD sedan Instead they went with the FWD stuff, and in GMs absolutely awful reliable and the consumer was driving an outclassed and outdated car. Ford eventually made a Lincoln LS rwd car….but they then cancelled the next generation. Just terrible product decisions by the American brands. I still really liked the STS and even liked the Eldorado, but they has terrible reliability
Yeah the STS and Eldorado were great cars, a shame they were so unreliable, and a shame that new platform wasn’t RWD.
Old 09-23-23, 09:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Having driven all of these but the Grand Highlander, the CX-90 winning makes no sense when you consider it as a family hauler. It’s way too cramped inside.
it's c and d, they only care about performance and handling, not practicality! plus, by being 'controversial' we're talking about it so they got their 'buzz'.

My neighbor just got a new Hyundai Ioniq 5, just walked back over from checking it out. It’s pretty cool. Very premium feeling inside and out, nice ambient lighting inside. Ambient lighting just does so much for a car.
i test drove one... felt pretty plasticky to me inside. no better than tesla to me. but yeah, ambient lighting helps.

So we really need to figure out a replacement for the Pacifica, I've been looking around...Kia is still stubbornly posting markups online, they really seem to be the only one. Carnival minivans $2-5k over MSRP, Tellurides same deal. Yeah, not gonna happen.
so is it the total price of carnival/tellurides you think isn't worth it, or just the principle of not paying over msrp?

She wouldn't care either, her issue is she is convinced that having doors will make transporting the kids much more stressful.
I'll make it happen lol
why not just let her make the choice?

Finally seeing LXs pop up around town and a few at the dealer, it’s about time.
Originally Posted by TangoRed
I was shocked to see two them during a recent trip to Minneapolis. From the rear they don't really have much presence. I really wish Lexus would've pushed themselves with the LX, especially given the splash they made with the GX550.
yes it looks pretty plain and narrow from the back there. it really is an epic failure by lexus.
Old 09-23-23, 09:31 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

My neighbor just got a new Hyundai Ioniq 5, just walked back over from checking it out. It’s pretty cool. Very premium feeling inside and out, nice ambient lighting inside. Ambient lighting just does so much for a car.
I just got back from the Detroit Auto Show. They didn't have an Ioniq 5 but had an Ioniq 6 and I was really impressed with it inside and out. Great interior design, great seeming quality and materials and they did a killer job on the ambient lighting in this car. Ambient lighting really does make a huge difference!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation