Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't plan on driving it in bad weather? Last year, of course, we got by in the D.C. area almost without any snow or salt on the roads, but this coming winter is not likely to be a repeat.
It doesn't need mudflaps...
Old 09-29-23, 03:12 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Do they all come with these tires? I remember the 4RX we were interested in came with something else. I insisted them to swap out for Michelin or I wouldn't buy it. They did. Fortunately the dude that did it didn't know which wheels go where, he gave us the luxury wheels along with the Michelin. Looks like your lease went up to 750. Good tires are well worth it though.
Old 09-29-23, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha, yeah all the ones I saw had those tires
Old 09-29-23, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

That seems to be the way that the assembly-line process works. Unless the vehicle is designed by the manufacturer for a specific brand and type of tire, as was the case with some Corvettes, what usually happens is that the manufacturer will contract with certain tire companies to provide X number of tires, at a negotiated cost, for the factory, in the size(s) the vehicle requires. A certain batch of the production-line will use tires of one brand...the next run might have another brand, etc.....sometimes, if they run out of one brand early, they will use whatever is available at any given moment at the factory and fits the vehicle. Steve just happened to get one of a production-run that was built with a bunch of those Nexen brand tires.

I've had two Buicks with Continental Contipro-Contacts and, IMO, that was an excellent tire.....as good as the Michelins I've had. This Encore GX I have now, as do many of them, came with Korean Hankooks (not surprising, since it is built in Korea)...they are OK, but not as good as the Continentals.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-23 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-29-23, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah every car I have bought they come with an assortment of tires and it’s kind of luck of the draw what you get.
Old 09-29-23, 06:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Look what I found! Archive 1988 Lincoln Conti Car and Driver article since that car gets brought up a lot on here lol:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Old 09-29-23, 08:06 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I will never get tired of seeing your magnificent LC.

Sreve, congratulations on the van (?)

Glad you have it and the ordeal is over. May your next vehicle purchase or lease go more smoothly.
Old 09-29-23, 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, at least it’s over!
Old 09-29-23, 09:19 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah every car I have bought they come with an assortment of tires and it’s kind of luck of the draw what you get.
Hoping for a full review thread.

We only got teaser pics of the interior.
Plus, I'm interested in how the low range ev works and how practical it actually is.

Inquiring minds want to know. Lol

Originally Posted by AJT123
Look what I found! Archive 1988 Lincoln Conti Car and Driver article since that car gets brought up a lot on here lol:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
The Lincoln Conti was a nice car for it's time.

Originally Posted by link13
I will never get tired of seeing your magnificent LC.
Ditto, it really is a looker.
Old 09-29-23, 09:41 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

It also has mudflaps on it I will be removing tomorrow!
On some cars mudflaps are a must. My Durango needed them badly and so does my Tesla. The Tesla is so bad it flings stuff all over the side of the car and is a pain to get off when washing. Almost all owners of the refresh get some sort of mudflaps because of it.

They are loud already, I'm going to replace them just have to decide what to get. It rides better because its heavier, also 18s vs 20s, but you can tell the tires are keeping It from riding as well as it could. Worth $1,000 to get good tires on it.
My Michelins on my Tesla are loud for about 1,000 miles and then quiet down. I just replaced my front tires last week and they are annoyingly loud so may they will quiet down over time. I will say I’m not one to skimp on tires so if the reviews on those tires suck, they would be gone tomorrow, not just for noise but for everything else too like bad weather traction, etc.
Old 09-29-23, 09:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

For a special car with such a nice paint job I would PPF the whole thing too. Two of my cars are fully wrapped and it’s nice not having to worry about paint swirls or my kids accidentally scratching it.
Old 09-30-23, 05:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

They might quiet down before you spend that money on tires, remember how mine did when I swapped rims. At first I was like WTF.

I might give it a month, or whatever. Congrats, it looks sharp!
Old 09-30-23, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Excellent! What PPF are you using? Xpel?
the giant "XPEL" logos on the wheel covers are a hint.

It doesn't need mudflaps...
i would never take off mudflaps already on a vehicle. may not really 'need' them but they do lessen dirt/stones flung up onto the body or even wheel arches to lessen noise.
Old 09-30-23, 07:24 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
For a special car with such a nice paint job I would PPF the whole thing too. Two of my cars are fully wrapped and it’s nice not having to worry about paint swirls or my kids accidentally scratching it.
Yes, totally agree.
Nice. This car deserves it. Looks like it's in a right place for the work. Are those white reflection from neon lights on ceilings? I've seen many places have this reflection. Must provide nice lighting for them to see.
Old 09-30-23, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hoping for a full review thread.

We only got teaser pics of the interior.
Plus, I'm interested in how the low range ev works and how practical it actually is.

Inquiring minds want to know. Lol
Oh I will, going to clean it up and all today and will post a bunch of pics and do a thread on it tonight.
Originally Posted by patgilm
On some cars mudflaps are a must. My Durango needed them badly and so does my Tesla. The Tesla is so bad it flings stuff all over the side of the car and is a pain to get off when washing. Almost all owners of the refresh get some sort of mudflaps because of it.
Not an issue on this vehicle, I've had two of them without mudflaps alreadty. If they were nice molded painted ones I would leave them, but these are ugly black ones that say "CHRYSLER" on them

My Michelins on my Tesla are loud for about 1,000 miles and then quiet down. I just replaced my front tires last week and they are annoyingly loud so may they will quiet down over time. I will say I’m not one to skimp on tires so if the reviews on those tires suck, they would be gone tomorrow, not just for noise but for everything else too like bad weather traction, etc.
The other thing I thought of is we are primarily driving it in full EV mode so there is no engine noise to cancel the tire noise out...

Originally Posted by AJT123
They might quiet down before you spend that money on tires, remember how mine did when I swapped rims. At first I was like WTF.

I might give it a month, or whatever. Congrats, it looks sharp!
I'm kind of a tire snob lol

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the giant "XPEL" logos on the wheel covers are a hint.
Not necessarily. Most shops carry multiple lines of PPF, and it could be that the shop just has those tire covers that were provided as a perk from Xpel. Those covers are for polishing anyways not for PPF installation.

I would never take off mudflaps already on a vehicle. may not really 'need' them but they do lessen dirt/stones flung up onto the body or even wheel arches to lessen noise.
These are really ugly. I will post a pic.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation