Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 05:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So silly the "Michelin great, everything else bad" mentality people have...
Continental also makes excellent rubber......in some ways comparable to the best of the Michelins. But, yes, Michelin did not get the reputation they have for nothing....they earned it.
Old 06-28-22, 06:19 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

My last pair were Perillis.
This time I put on a pair of Firestone Firehawk on the front for $350 out the door and moved the Perillis to the back.

On my RX330, while driving the speed limit and not drifting and pushing the car hard & driving crazy there is little gain for me with expensive tires.

My car is not exactly a performance or luxury car so I don't think it matters much.
I just go with a name brand tires and they pretty much all feel the same.

New rubber always drives nicer and feels better than old rubber.

Last edited by Margate330; 06-28-22 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-28-22, 07:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
My last pair were Perillis.
This time I put on a pair of Firestone Firehawk on the front for $350 out the door and moved the Perillis to the back.
You should always put the newer tires on the rear.
Old 06-28-22, 07:57 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

So far so good with my tires, I have even left them aired at 35 PSI where I was running the Michelins at 31. I'm going to air them down to 33 tomorrow morning and see what I think...

Was finally able to get the car washed today, it was filthy. Attached are some pictures of the tires dressed. So silly the "Michelin great, everything else bad" mentality people have...

Looks good. I love mine too. No kidding. I experienced Bridgestone, Dunlop and Michelin before and came to the conclusion Michelin is the best to go. Then I had experience on Pirelli. While they are used on different cars, these are dawn good. After 20K and still looks good with thread too. I was surprised by that complaint about Pirelli on the X6 wearing and cracking. I guess maybe you and I dress the tires more often? BTW what's up with the masking tapes? Your world, her world kind of thing? Or you need help with parking? Lol
Old 06-28-22, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Looks excellent, what treatment do you use? Rub or spray? Airing them down will dull them out a little, they will still be better than the MXMs though in terms of handling and grip.
33 PSI seems to be perfect...I took a 100 mile drive this morning, highway and surface road and they really ride great and even at 33 are much sharper than the MXM4s.

Thats CarPro Perl diluted 1:1, sprayed onto an applicator and applied. Great dressing, only one I have found that has the gloss I like but doesn't sling.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Continental also makes excellent rubber......in some ways comparable to the best of the Michelins. But, yes, Michelin did not get the reputation they have for nothing....they earned it.
I think there was a time when Michelin really made tires that had consistently the best quality, but nowadays many tire makers are making tires that are just as good. For instance, I looked when I was cleaning the wheels, they used the same amount of weight to balance these Pirellis as they did the Michelins I had previously.

Originally Posted by Margate330
As was said above, the new tires should always go on the rear.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
BTW what's up with the masking tapes? Your world, her world kind of thing? Or you need help with parking? Lol
Its to help my wife position the cars in the garage properly lol
Old 06-28-22, 10:32 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Why is that?
Old 06-28-22, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Why is that?
Because oversteer is more dangerous than understeer.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...nked-10031440/

The Myth: When replacing only two tires, the new ones go on the front.

The truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!"

There is no "even if" to this one. Whether you own a front-, rear- or all-wheel-drive car, truck, or SUV, the tires with the most tread go on the rear. Don't believe it? Watch this.

Old 06-28-22, 10:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Thank you geko29.
I been doing it wrong for 40 years from what ya'll are saying.
Still learning and still know nothing. haha

Because oversteer is more dangerous than understeer.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...nked-10031440/
I will look into this.
The new tires on the front does feel good and feash tho.
Old 06-28-22, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They should definitely be on the rear!
Old 06-28-22, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think there was a time when Michelin really made tires that had consistently the best quality, but nowadays many tire makers are making tires that are just as good. For instance, I looked when I was cleaning the wheels, they used the same amount of weight to balance these Pirellis as they did the Michelins I had previously.
Yes, a small chance it could also be the wheel, not just the tire. Although most modern alloy wheels are precision-cast and are in almost perfect balance, some of them might require some weights on their own. Also, my experience in tire shops (more so in the past than recently) was that they often hire young kids for the balance-machines that either don't know what they're doing or are careless and don't take the time and patience to do it properly.

Old 06-28-22, 12:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

33 PSI seems to be perfect...I took a 100 mile drive this morning, highway and surface road and they really ride great and even at 33 are much sharper than the MXM4s.

Thats CarPro Perl diluted 1:1, sprayed onto an applicator and applied. Great dressing, only one I have found that has the gloss I like but doesn't sling.

As was said above, the new tires should always go on the rear.

Its to help my wife position the cars in the garage properly lol
Thanks, I usually deal with the slinging by driving the car post wash up to 70 then manually using a detailer spray to clean it off. I'll give this a try for sure since it would be great to cut that step out entirely
Old 06-28-22, 12:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Why is that?
The rear is where the car gets it's stability from. If you have the older ones on the rear the car can lose grip out back before the front and flip on you quite easily, this is magnified greatly by cars that are nose heavy and during any sort of traction compromised states or in turns.

It's made even worse if you only replace 2 at a time since you can't rotate them, if you have a car with a heavy weight bias it becomes critical to rotate tires since if you don't it will lock them into where they are. The fronts wear down so much faster on FWD based cars due to the 60/40 weight spread and the fact that ALL functions are carried out by the front.
Old 06-28-22, 12:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's made even worse if you only replace 2 at a time since you can't rotate them, if you have a car with a heavy weight bias it becomes critical to rotate tires since if you don't it will lock them into where they are. The fronts wear down so much faster on FWD based cars due to the 60/40 weight spread and the fact that ALL functions are carried out by the front.
We had that issue with the old IS350, different sizes. That's neat for the driver who would explore that car's true capability but just for every day transportation it got old fast, how that car ate through tires and having two different sizes.
Old 06-28-22, 12:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
We had that issue with the old IS350, different sizes. That's neat for the driver who would explore that car's true capability but just for every day transportation it got old fast, how that car ate through tires and having two different sizes.
Yeah it gets really old really fast. I am a firm believer in a square setup for any car you are going to put serious miles on, if you want staggered run a spare pair of rims and only use them when you want more rear tire.
Old 06-28-22, 01:54 PM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow thanks! I always thought the better ones should be in the front because of the engine weight.
They should definitely be on the rear!
Is this the same for RWD?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation