Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 09:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No big deal. A soft cloth and some warm water usually takes care of that problem. Just don't use any harsh detergents or abrasives.
The point is we don’t want to have to do that every day. No touchscreen in my car and the screen almost never needs to be cleaned at all.
Old 10-19-23, 09:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
FYI that’s definitely not carbon fiber on the dash. The carbon fiber trim gets the piano black center console. your loaner had the metal weave pattern. Carbon fiber looks like this:

My god the finger prints would compel me to actively clean it while driving.....can you imagine just how scratched up that center stack is gonna be in a few years?

The rest of the interior looks quite nice.
Old 10-20-23, 01:31 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

No big deal. A soft cloth and some warm water usually takes care of that problem. Just don't use any harsh detergents or abrasives.
How do you clean fingerprints with warm water?
Old 10-20-23, 05:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
I assume he means you squish the excess water out or whatever out of the cloth first.
Old 10-20-23, 05:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf

On the video screens I've seen, just dampen or wet the soft cloth, gently wipe, and then wipe dry with another soft cloth or fabric. Comes right off. Don't use strong soaps or abrasives, though....the Owners' Manual usually cautions you about that.

The people who design these screens know that fingerprints will build up quickly, so they make them easy to clean with simple materials.
Old 10-20-23, 05:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

On the video screens I've seen, just dampen or wet the soft cloth, gently wipe, and then wipe dry with another soft cloth or fabric. Comes right off. Don't use strong soaps or abrasives, though....the Owners' Manual usually cautions you about that.

The people who design these screens know that fingerprints will build up quickly, so they make them easy to clean with simple materials.
No need for a damp cloth, we keep a microfiber cloth made for cleaning things like this and it cleans all the fingerprints off the screen of our Tesla very easily. We keep one in our BMW too because my wife sometimes forgets that she doesn’t have to use the touchscreen and can use the wheel controller.
Old 10-20-23, 06:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
"The coolant was low" Literally thats all they said. No insight as to why, "can find no evidence of any leaks", they topped off the coolant. The battery did fail the load test so I got a new battery out of the deal, and at least its on record during the warranty. I will replace the cap again...
I went down a 3 month rabbit hole with coolant in my LS460 a few years ago. Not sure if MB did the "pressure test" which I think requires the car to be "cold" (my mechanic kept my car overnight and did it first thing in the morning). But if they see no evidence of a leak that's encouraging, and different than my situation where coolant was collecting at the bottom of my engine. My cap was the culprit - when I'd start the car coolant would leak out a bit. I could see the level dropping between starts but couldn't figure out what was happening. Replaced the cap for like $30 and problem solved. Lexus quoted me over $2k for some type of valley plate seal... Ridiculous.
Old 10-20-23, 06:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
My god the finger prints would compel me to actively clean it while driving.....can you imagine just how scratched up that center stack is gonna be in a few years?

The rest of the interior looks quite nice.
I've already seen the state of the piano black center console in early W223 S-classes, it's not great. However I've noticed my family members seem not to notice it at all unless they really focus on it.

Originally Posted by patgilm
No need for a damp cloth, we keep a microfiber cloth made for cleaning things like this and it cleans all the fingerprints off the screen of our Tesla very easily. We keep one in our BMW too because my wife sometimes forgets that she doesn’t have to use the touchscreen and can use the wheel controller.
Yeah I use a microfiber cloth in various cars and it takes care of it easily.
Old 10-20-23, 07:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I went down a 3 month rabbit hole with coolant in my LS460 a few years ago. s.
This was over 10 years ago. but my LS430 had low coolant and the dealer couldn't figure out why, none of us could.

Topped it off and never an issue, that is really REALLY weird. They kept saying "coolant had to go somewhere" but zero leaks. Like I said this was in 2012.
Old 10-20-23, 08:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I had the same thing happen with one of my BMW's. It ate a significant amount of coolant by the end of a road trip. Never asked for more coolant ever again.
Old 10-20-23, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Its clearly evaporating around that cap...I ordered another one.

As for the piano black console in the W223, I would have if covered in PPF.
Old 10-20-23, 09:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I had the same thing happen with one of my BMW's. It ate a significant amount of coolant by the end of a road trip. Never asked for more coolant ever again.
What gives, then?

I remember I noticed it because my heat sucked.

Old 10-20-23, 09:13 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
What gives, then?

I remember I noticed it because my heat sucked.
I noticed it because the car told me. I drove right to the dealer after dropping my spouse off and unloading the car as I was a bit worried. The most disconcerting thing about it all? One of the young guys they had doing customer intake in the dropoff area had a huge container of coolant sitting behind his podium and just topped the car off. He was like "Yeah...I'm going to get your service advisor out here to speak to you but these just eat coolant sometimes. I have this container sitting here at the ready because someone like you comes in here every week."

Old 10-20-23, 09:18 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I noticed it because the car told me. I drove right to the dealer after dropping my spouse off and unloading the car as I was a bit worried. The most disconcerting thing about it all? One of the young guys they had doing customer intake in the dropoff area had a huge container of coolant sitting behind his podium and just topped the car off. He was like "Yeah...I'm going to get your service advisor out here to speak to you but these just eat coolant sometimes. I have this container sitting here at the ready because someone like you comes in here every week."
It was just...strange. But, LS430 is a big Corolla reliability-wise so I wasn't worried about it after they topped it off. But where the hell did it go if there were no leaks?? None of us could figure it out. It didn't burn out.
Old 10-20-23, 11:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It was just...strange. But, LS430 is a big Corolla reliability-wise so I wasn't worried about it after they topped it off. But where the hell did it go if there were no leaks?? None of us could figure it out. It didn't burn out.
Had the same thing with our Q7. About 1200 or 1500 miles in, got the warning that coolant was low, and saw that the reservoir was basically empty with just a tiny bit in the bottom. Dealer pressure tested it overnight and found no issue, refilled it, and it's been perfect for more than 40k since then. I have no idea where that roughly 1-1.5 quarts of coolant went either.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation