Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 08:06 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I know where it is going.....there are two common issues with your engine and coolant and I have two cars in right now with said issue. The coolant pipes leak at the lower seals or the after run pump stops working/works too little and the coolant still in the turbos flashes off and the vapor pressurizes the system and escapes via the cap leading to the losses.
That makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly, just drive it home on the car and take the LX also to haul the stand.

You will really appreciate having the top this winter AJT
Exactly, I don't trust sellers on fitment.

I'd want to check for myself and have the car there.

Last edited by Margate330; 10-21-23 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-21-23, 08:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes that was my thought, $2500. I'll probably do it. He said 3, I'll say 2, then we'll try $2500.
Originally Posted by Margate330
This guy probably doesn't want to ship something that big so I'd offer $1500 and can always go up from there.
I believe in paying a fair price but it's only worth something to the right person.
Originally Posted by TangoRed
$2500 or so sounds fair. I’d do it.
price on something rare like this is arbitrary. AJT you want a 'deal' and the seller just wants to get rid of it. you'll work it out.

but even at 3K i'd get it, because you want it, it looks perfect, and your chances of finding another one any time soon are probably low. your car's value will go up too so the $500 you're trying to save 'negotiating' is irrelevant (i know, you cant help but negotiate ).

Originally Posted by Stroock639
gotta be honest it irks me (or at least irked adjacent) how mercedes dealerships will have those lovely historical images on the walls as they're selling plastic rattly GLAs with cheap glitchy touch screens
no idea why it irks you, have you been to germany and seen mercedes cabs with basically no options at all?

also, no idea what you're talking about re: "cheap glitchy touch screens" - their screens are high quality. glitchy may be software... different issue.

Originally Posted by Margate330
I'm sorry but that tablet looks ridiculous where it is, IMO.
Borderline retarded. Lol
i had a similar rental in europe for 10 days earlier this year and yeah, i don't like the ski slope screen either.

It looks like CF but its not, its just plastic with a carbon fiber look to it, looks like it belongs in a $25,000 car:

first off, there aren't many new $25K cars at all, and name me one with an interior that nice.

As compared to the previous C Class console:

that's gotta be a different trim level. regardless, as you said, the c-class is aimed at younger people and they don't want wood!

Agree on the touchscreen. Much harder to hit what you want and takes much more concentration off the road.
totally agreed.

The point is we don’t want to have to do that every day. No touchscreen in my car and the screen almost never needs to be cleaned at all.
agreed... like your s-class, i LOVED the g90 large screen with controller easily at hand. i do NOT like touch screens in cars.

my ioniq 5 of course has a touch screen and i don't like using that either. at least (unlike a tesla) i can use apple carplay and just ask siri

that stand looks like it comes apart into pieces, so can probably go in the MB trunk.
Old 10-21-23, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and now i gotta go outside and wash both the LC and Ioniq 5.

steve, guess i'll try that dr. beasley stuff on the ioniq that came with it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-21-23 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-21-23, 10:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I've thought of a few options....

It's not a done deal, I am dealing with FB marketplace here lol.

The headliner is messed up so that gives me some leverage, I'm not paying a penny over $2k. I haven't offered anything yet.

Either the stand can be broken down and fit in the SL or just take the truck up there. Worst case scenario I resell the top for what I paid for it.

We'll see..

Last edited by AJT123; 10-21-23 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-21-23, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first off, there aren't many new $25K cars at all, and name me one with an interior that nice.
Not talking about the whole interior, just that particular material, Kias, Mazdas etc that trim would be right at home in one.

that's gotta be a different trim level. regardless, as you said, the c-class is aimed at younger people and they don't want wood!
Its not. That material in the new C loaner I had is the same material that’s in the S Class, it’s terrible. That previous gen C is a base model car, I have had them as loaners with that same trim.

The C class interior has wood, that specific console material is just terrible.
Old 10-21-23, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

and now i gotta go outside and wash both the LC and Ioniq 5.

steve, guess i'll try that dr. beasley stuff on the ioniq that came with it.

Let me know how it goes!
Old 10-21-23, 12:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

First off, a rant.

I think chemical guys products are crap.

Their bottle falls off the foam gun.
Their big soap bottle is so big pouring it into the gun bottle is guaranteed to be messy unless you use a funnel.

The matte car cleaning guides that came with the car and the Beasley stuff say you can use that stuff with a foam gun and thankfully that bottle attached to the chemical guys gun although the feed tube was way too long but I made it work.

Pressure washed both cars off then foamed both cars with separate soap (matte and regular) for extra PITA points. Cleaned off with the Hyundai provided super soft furry pad things lol then pressure wash off all the suds. Then dry with microfiber towels.

The Beasley says to then clean off the whole car (matte Hyundai) with distilled water before applying the drops off matte whatever... They're out of their minds lol

They came out ok. LC looks tiny lol

Old 10-21-23, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Your new Hyundai makes the LC look like a dwarf.

You can tell the slick Lexus paint-job, though, even that far away in the picture. Slick paint jobs is something that, like with NuLuxe, Lexus has always done well.
Old 10-21-23, 04:18 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I've thought of a few options....

It's not a done deal, I am dealing with FB marketplace here lol.

The headliner is messed up so that gives me some leverage, I'm not paying a penny over $2k. I haven't offered anything yet.

Either the stand can be broken down and fit in the SL or just take the truck up there. Worst case scenario I resell the top for what I paid for it.

We'll see..
If you have confirmed that it is the correct color, it is well worth 3 grand even if it needs headliner repair. There is no telling when you might have the same opportunity.
Old 10-21-23, 05:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
If you have confirmed that it is the correct color, it is well worth 3 grand even if it needs headliner repair. There is no telling when you might have the same opportunity.
It is the correct color, Silver Arrow metallic, and it has the chrome window door surrounds which regular SLs didn't have. So yeah, you aren't wrong. It's the right one. 3k is just a tad high, for that it should be in perfect condition IMO.

Still working on it. The car has been for sale for at least 3 months at a price that's too good to be true, so I'm a little sketchy.... my meter is blipping jussssst a bit.

But then again I almost wrote my car off and passing because it lacked a hard top at first, and the car itself ended up being just about perfect--literally.
Old 10-21-23, 06:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it’s an absolute terrible idea to buy this. The SL is 20 years old…the day after you get the top…the engine could break forever….or the transmission could say goodbye

just my thoughts. Don’t shoot me

what does your spouse say?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-21-23 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-21-23, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think it’s an absolute terrible idea to buy this. The SL is 20 years old…the day after you get the top…the engine could break forever….or the transmission could say goodbye

just my thoughts. Don’t shoot me
by your reasoning he shouldn't have bought the SL in the first place either as those things could happen but clearly the purchase has brought a load of joy, so respectfully i think you're wrong.
Old 10-21-23, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your new Hyundai makes the LC look like a dwarf.
i think "little person" is the more pc term these days, lol.

but yes i thought the same thing when i saw the pic, and the lc is not a small car. obviously the ioniq is higher being more 'utility' plus having a slab of batteries underneath.

i don't think i could have 2 much more different vehicles.

it's fun.
Old 10-21-23, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

i think "little person" is the more pc term these days, lol.
I understand where you are coming from, but I wasn't referring to people....only vehicles.

but yes i thought the same thing when i saw the pic, and the lc is not a small car. obviously the ioniq is higher being more 'utility' plus having a slab of batteries underneath.
Saw a couple of them on the road today. They are not particularly long, but sit fairly high....like a crossover.

i don't think i could have 2 much more different vehicles.
Well, in the past, you've had a Miata and a G90.....that itself is quite a difference.
Old 10-21-23, 10:21 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I know where it is going.....there are two common issues with your engine and coolant and I have two cars in right now with said issue. The coolant pipes leak at the lower seals or the after run pump stops working/works too little and the coolant still in the turbos flashes off and the vapor pressurizes the system and escapes via the cap leading to the losses.
So is it something that should be fixed or do I just have to top off every 6-12 months?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation