Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 06:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats how the Mercedes tech works, thats truckled down to other manufacturers and models but there are definitely multiple systems that read road signs.

Still requires the GPS

Old 06-07-22, 06:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Doesn’t require it, it says that it can use GPS data in certain circumstances when there are no road signs.

Case in point, I have had the GPS and the signs say different speeds. For instance several roads here have lately had speed limit changes, the sign detection reads the sign and displays the speed, and the GPS clearly still has the old speed limit. So the speedometer will say 45 and the GPS will say 55, for example. It also always picks up the speed as soon as you pass a speed limit sign.

It also picks up signs that you don’t have in GPS data such as reccomended speeds for curves and off-ramps, etc.
Old 06-07-22, 08:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

So the VW Touareg. First gen appears to have had those motorized seat belt adjusters as an option on the top end trim

Old 06-08-22, 01:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So the VW Touareg. First gen appears to have had those motorized seat belt adjusters as an option on the top end trim

Oh. A 1st gen Touareg......*trauma flashbacks*
Old 06-08-22, 04:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
A money pit, to be sure. But there haven't been too many crossovers with an optional V10 turbodiesel.
Old 06-08-22, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh they were SO bad lol
Old 06-08-22, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Can we post gas prices in this thread? CL, for a while, had a moratorium on new threads about gas prices, but I'm not sure if we can post them here in this existing thread.

Anyhow, all I wanted to note is that the average price of Tier-1 regular 87 octane in my area (VA-DC suburbs) is now over $5. One Exxon Gas-Mart station hear my house, which is notorious for rip-offs because it is the first station right off a very busy I-66 exit, is charging $5.49 for regular, and $5.99 for premium. Diesel is now $6+

In short, this is just about the highest I can ever remember it, even with short-term bumps after a major storm or hurricane.
Old 06-08-22, 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see why not, as long as there isn't any political discussion attached to them...
Old 06-08-22, 05:44 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll go first. 5.89 today in town and 6.49 for diesel. It's awesome.
Old 06-08-22, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I'll go first. 5.89 today in town and 6.49 for diesel. It's awesome.
Yes, that's even higher than here. Some of the most expensive gas in the country is on the West Coast.
Old 06-08-22, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With the open-your-wallet gas prices we are all dealing with, here are some quick tips for stretching those not-so-cheap gallons:

....Keep tire pressures up at least to manufacturer-reccomended PSI. Soft tires will not only wear sicker but also produce more rolllng-drag, using more fuel. All else equal, tires will lose about 1 PSI for every drop in air temperature, although the fact that we are heading into summer will help as temps rise. Tire pressures should be checked when cold...after sitting overnight or in the shade for 3 hours. Remember that tires sitting in the sun will heat up rapidly....the black color absorbs a lot of sunlight.

......Clean anything unnecessary out of the trunk or cargo area that adds weight. More weight means the engine works harder....and uses more fuel.

......Avoid downshifting whenever possible, except to keep the engine from lugging or straining. This is equally true for a traditional 3-pedal manual transmission or a manually-shifted automatic.

.......When cruising, cruise in as high a gear and as low an engine RPM as possible to keep the engine from lugging. And slow down....even aero-efficient vehicles use more fuel as cruise-speeds rise.

........Accelerate and brake gently...the more gentle, the better. You will be surprised how much that can affect fuel economy.

.......Try to combine as many trips as possible, so that you are not starting/stopping and continually warming and cooling the engine. Much more fuel is used in warm-ups, because of the richer mixture in the injectors, than with a fully-warm engine.

.........If possible, try to choose routes that have more downhill stretches than upgrades. On upgrades, of course, gravity makes the engine work harder. But don't try to coast downhill in neutral or in too high a gear....that can be dangerous and ruin your brakes, particularly in the mountains, Lower gears help hold the vehicle back on downgrades.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-22 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-08-22, 06:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I mostly agree except you should not accelerate slowly, you should accelerate at the engines peak BSFC rpm so you convert the absolute most gas to motion possible. A slow acceleration that takes forever will use more fuel than a quick burst and coasting at desired speed.

Try to avoid braking entirely if possible, it's just wasting energy. If you can coast down from 55 to a stop sign do it.

Last edited by Striker223; 06-08-22 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling/phone errors
Old 06-08-22, 06:44 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

I mostly agree except you should not accelerate slowly, you should accelerate at the engines peak BSFC rpm so you convert the absolute most has to motion possible. A slow acceleration that takes forever will use more full than a quick burst and coasting at desired speed.
This is particularly noticeable on my diesel. Around town, I get ~3mpg better economy if I hammer it every time I accelerate, and get off the pedal as quickly as I can.
Old 06-08-22, 06:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is particularly noticeable on my diesel. Around town, I get ~3mpg better economy if I hammer it every time I accelerate, and get off the pedal as quickly as I can.
Probably due to the turbos spinning up and the engine running at better efficiency at full boost.
Old 06-08-22, 06:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can we post gas prices in this thread? CL, for a while, had a moratorium on new threads about gas prices, but I'm not sure if we can post them here in this existing thread.

Anyhow, all I wanted to note is that the average price of Tier-1 regular 87 octane in my area (VA-DC suburbs) is now over $5. One Exxon Gas-Mart station hear my house, which is notorious for rip-offs because it is the first station right off a very busy I-66 exit, is charging $5.49 for regular, and $5.99 for premium. Diesel is now $6+

In short, this is just about the highest I can ever remember it, even with short-term bumps after a major storm or hurricane.
Maybe the higher gas prices are going to thin the herd of the stupid pick up trucks. I think I already see less of them on the road.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation