Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-23, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In that picture, look carefully in the tire tread, about halfway across from the orange reflector-light-cover. You'll see what may (?) be the small silver exposed oblong-head of a bolt or nail that punctured the tread......I've seen that many times. Or, it could just be a small rock or pebble that did not puncture...tires tend to pick up a lot of those too.
Old 10-22-23, 05:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don’t know if you saw my earlier post, but it’s normal. I wouldn’t worry about it for now. Mine hasn’t needed coolant since but I know if I undergo another tough duty cycle it’ll likely happen again. The BMW forums are full of this topic.
Originally Posted by Striker223
Make sure that the systems I mentioned are okay, if they are then just top it off. If not I would fix the leak 100% before it gets bad enough to blow a seal and really start eating coolant, the afterrun system is also a very good idea to have working unless you always allow the car to idle hood open for 2-3 min and park it hood open.
I didn’t, I missed your earlier post but thanks to both of you.

Last edited by patgilm; 10-22-23 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-22-23, 05:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

bummer about the flats, but glad the tow guy / walmart came to the rescue... and they had the right tires to get you back on the road?
Old 10-22-23, 07:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I just had them put crappy “Douglas” tires on it to get us home, I’ll replace all 4 this week like I was leaning towards doing anyways.

Wasn’t a blowout at all, we just gradually lost air in both the passenger side tires over about 10 miles. The front tire is all wrapped up from moving it to get it on the truck. You should have seen us trying to get it on the truck without dragging the front or back of it because it was so low with the tires totally flat. One downside of taller sidewall tires.

Of course, I ran back out when we got home to get gas and the Walmart put a huge dent in the side of it, of course I wasn’t looking up at the body when we came out and drove off. Sucks, haven’t even made the first payment yet.

Old 10-22-23, 09:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just had them put crappy “Douglas” tires on it to get us home, I’ll replace all 4 this week like I was leaning towards doing anyways.

Wasn’t a blowout at all, we just gradually lost air in both the passenger side tires over about 10 miles. The front tire is all wrapped up from moving it to get it on the truck. You should have seen us trying to get it on the truck without dragging the front or back of it because it was so low with the tires totally flat. One downside of taller sidewall tires.

Of course, I ran back out when we got home to get gas and the Walmart put a huge dent in the side of it, of course I wasn’t looking up at the body when we came out and drove off. Sucks, haven’t even made the first payment yet.

What a story! Way to get the family home safely.
Old 10-22-23, 09:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

How did they even manage to dent it there?

Man that sucks. I am stunned the tow guy didn't think to just inflate them quickly to lift the car up using an air tank.

Douglas tires are fine, just a cheap Goodyear made option that is fine for basic usage
Old 10-23-23, 05:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It looks like somebody just fell against the side of it with their shoulder or something. The dent is very soft and no paint damage at all. Had to be some force though for sure. It’ll PDR out, just a huge PITA.

He couldn’t inflate the front tire, he didn’t have his air compressor.
Old 10-23-23, 07:28 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

I picked up a nail/screw in the shoulder of one of my Nexens at 1100 miles. It could not be repaired so all were replaced with Continentals. Haven't been able to give away the remaining 3 Nexens that are taking up space in the garage. Am well pleased with the Continentals.
Old 10-23-23, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It looks like somebody just fell against the side of it with their shoulder or something. The dent is very soft and no paint damage at all. Had to be some force though for sure. It’ll PDR out, just a huge PITA.
Not necessarily a person art all. Could have been a bird-strike on the road before you stopped....that is often the kind of dent they leave, without taking off any paint. Did you hear any kind of thump on the road before you stopped?
Old 10-23-23, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily a person art all. Could have been a bird-strike on the road before you stopped....that is often the kind of dent they leave, without taking off any paint. Did you hear any kind of thump on the road before you stopped?
I think I would have heard a bird hitting the side of the car hard enough to leave a dent in the side lol. No, it had to have happened at Walmart
Old 10-23-23, 04:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s ordered, dent appointment scheduled for Wednesday. Dent is going to be $600-900 depending on how much he needs to disassemble. Expensive trip lol
Old 10-23-23, 04:56 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I think I would have heard a bird hitting the side of the car hard enough to leave a dent in the side lol. No, it had to have happened at Walmart

A bird LOL, must have been a turkey vulture.

Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s ordered, dent appointment scheduled for Wednesday. Dent is going to be $600-900 depending on how much he needs to disassemble. Expensive trip lol
That seems a bit much, must be Montgomery County pricing. I would have guessed $400 max.

Old 10-23-23, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
A bird LOL, must have been a turkey vulture.
Makes me think of the old WKRP in Cincinnati episode where they dropped turkeys from the sky lol. “Who knew they couldn’t fly?!”

That seems a bit much, must be Montgomery County pricing. I would have guessed $400 max.
This guy is really good, he’s been doing dents for me for 20 years. He travels all over the country and teaches on PDR and specializes in really complex dents that you normally would not think could be repaired with PDR, he’s actually in Ashburn.

He quoted such a range because of the assembly and disassembly, he’s afraid he will need to remove the interior panels etc to get enough access. It’s a bigger dent than it looks, it’s about 8 inches in diameter and the metal is actually buckled up by the window frame. No idea how this actually happened! I’m thinking maybe the long wooden handle of a floor jack?

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-23-23 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-23-23, 06:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Makes me think of the old WKRP in Cincinnati episode where they dropped turkeys from the sky lol. “Who knew they couldn’t fly?!”

This guy is really good, he’s been doing dents for me for 20 years. He travels all over the country and teaches on PDR and specializes in really complex dents that you normally would not think could be repaired with PDR, he’s actually in Ashburn.

He quoted such a range because of the assembly and disassembly, he’s afraid he will need to remove the interior panels etc to get enough access. It’s a bigger dent than it looks, it’s about 8 inches in diameter and the metal is actually buckled up by the window frame. No idea how this actually happened! I’m thinking maybe the long wooden handle of a floor jack?
Whoever it was working on the car is an idiot and has no regard for peoples property. That or an ostrich ran into your car.
Old 10-23-23, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like you picked a guy who won't buckle under pressure.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation