Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-22, 04:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

In other news, in DC today road crews apparently opened up freshly paved 295 before it was ready, and cars got stuck in the tar:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...olice/3089260/

Only in DC...
That really sucks
Old 06-29-22, 04:08 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Yea that's pretty embarrassing.

Steve, I noticed today was the 10 year anniversary of that crazy derecho you guys had in the DC area. Did you or Mike (mmarshall) have any bad experiences that day? I have a good friend that lives in Ashburn, VA. I don't remember where he said he was that day but it was nuts!!
Old 06-29-22, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Yea that's pretty embarrassing.

Steve, I noticed today was the 10 year anniversary of that crazy derecho you guys had in the DC area. Did you or Mike (mmarshall) have any bad experiences that day? I have a good friend that lives in Ashburn, VA. I don't remember where he said he was that day but it was nuts!!
Yeah we had power outages and trees down all over the place. Down in WV they had power out for over 10 days, gas stations totally out of fuel, etc. It was before my cousin had moved back down there and his mother was living in the family home, they went down to get her and almost ran out of fuel because all the gas stations were closed. It was a mess!
Old 06-29-22, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Late June seems to be the peak time of year for Derechos, but they have also struck in other summer months. They end to form and ride along stationary fronts on the north side of what are called "Heat Domes"...large tropical high-pressure systems over land. The June 2012 Derecho was unquestionably one of the most severe to ever roll through the D.C. area, but, as I can recall (and many local people have either forgotten about this one or were not around), the June 27, 1978 Derecho here was of more or less comparable intensity....and traveled at an even faster forward speed.

I rode out the 2012 Derecho in a covered parking garage in the Fairfax City Library in the D.C. suburbs. My assigned condo parking space is under two large oak trees, and, as soon as I saw that monstrosity approaching on radar (it scared the hell out of me just to look at that radar-picure and its intensity/coverage), I hopped in my new Buick Verano (it was only two months old) and headed for the nearest adequate parking garage. I didn't want my car anywhere near those trees.....or outdoors, period, when that storm hit. I JUST made it to the garage...as I was driving up the ramp to the entrance, the wall of wind (the storm's gust-front) hit like a battering ram.

Going home, about a hour later, I was constantly dodging fallen trees, debris, and power lines. My condo town-house survived without any noticeable damage, but I don"t remember if I had a power failure or not...if so, it wasn't for long. Some people were stuck without power for a week...in humid 90-degree + weather.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-22 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-29-22, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In other news, in DC today road crews apparently opened up freshly paved 295 before it was ready, and cars got stuck in the tar.
Does anything ever get done properly in D.C.? I think we both know the answer. I avoid it like the plague except for Auto Show week.

Hopefully, if necessary, some tar-remover and SCRATCH-OUT will clean up the paint on the affected cars. I'm currently giving my Encore GX its annual once-over with Scratch-Out on the painted parts....I find that it not only cleans out the paint-imperfections, but also makes the water bead up for a while like wax. I do one panel at a time, a little each day, since I'm too old and lacking energy to do the whole vehicle at once.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-30-22, 07:33 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

I just re-park it when its parked wrong lol
I thought I read she was a good driver and never curbs? You are a wise man. Lol An easy solution is probably a tennis ball straight down to her to remind her where she needs to be at. Or you could move to a different house with two single doors. But then she will either crack a mirror or park outside and you move it in/out everyday. You should enjoy your double door. I wanted the builder to build a double door but they refused because they said it would compromise the structure. I always have to watch out when going in/out, drying or vacuuming the cars.
Old 06-30-22, 08:07 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I thought I read she was a good driver and never curbs? You are a wise man. Lol An easy solution is probably a tennis ball straight down to her to remind her where she needs to be at.
If she is a blonde I have all New Blonde Jokes, ready to go!

Old 06-30-22, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I thought I read she was a good driver and never curbs? You are a wise man. Lol An easy solution is probably a tennis ball straight down to her to remind her where she needs to be at. Or you could move to a different house with two single doors. But then she will either crack a mirror or park outside and you move it in/out everyday. You should enjoy your double door. I wanted the builder to build a double door but they refused because they said it would compromise the structure. I always have to watch out when going in/out, drying or vacuuming the cars.
Yeah she's a good driver, never curbs wheels or runs into anything. I think a lot of it is she just isn't as detail oriented as I am lol. I do like the double door!

Originally Posted by Margate330
If she is a blonde I have all New Blonde Jokes, ready to go!

Nope, brunette lol
Old 06-30-22, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

we had a flashback back to the 80s moment today
Old 06-30-22, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Very cool!
Old 06-30-22, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If anybody was wondering what the tires looked like on the cars who drove through the tar on 295...this is what they looked like lol:

Old 06-30-22, 06:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

-----^

WHAAAAAAAT? Call the state, they will reimburse you. It will be a huge PITA but I've done it here and it worked for wayyyyy less tar.
Old 06-30-22, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hopefully the tires themselves won't be damaged from that excessive amount of tar. I'm not a chemist and don't know all the details, but at least some of the same substances that go into making tar and asphalt also go into making tire-compounds. In fact, scrapped/recycled tires from the landfill sometimes go into the actual production of tar and asphalt.
Old 06-30-22, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
-----^

WHAAAAAAAT? Call the state, they will reimburse you. It will be a huge PITA but I've done it here and it worked for wayyyyy less tar.
Aint my car! But I would imagine the city will be buying people tires.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hopefully the tires themselves won't be damaged from that excessive amount of tar. I'm not a chemist and don't know all the details, but at least some of the same substances that go into making tar and asphalt also go into making tire-compounds. In fact, scrapped/recycled tires from the landfill sometimes go into the actual production of tar and asphalt.
The tires were damaged/destroyed.
Old 06-30-22, 09:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If anybody was wondering what the tires looked like on the cars who drove through the tar on 295...this is what they looked like lol:

I wonder how much got on the underbelly of the vehicle

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation