Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-23, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
For me, it’s not angst over crossovers. Sure, people buy and drive what they want. I don’t like driving them as a personal preference and I would prefer not to have one as a rental car in Europe. The handling was poor in both of the crossover rentals I got in Germany. The Kona was less bad than the Citroen. They both felt floaty and disconnected. I did take both to 160 km/h (100 mph) on the non speed controlled sections of the Autobahn. It’s not a comfortable cruising speed for those vehicles. 80 mph is about ideal.

The poor handling of the Kona was exposed while driving on smaller roads with higher speed limits than a similar road in the US would have. It wasn’t well suited for that type of driving (but we made it).

I am not the typical car buyer and market research clearly shows that people like crossovers. I don’t.
To be fair, your experience driving them is with two pretty crappy ones. Transverse FWD crossovers feel like transverse FWD sedans or minivans, they can be floaty and disconnected because they have rudimentary suspension systems and they're not made to be driven at 100 MPH. Our Pacifica minivan is perfectly happy at 80-90 MPH, and thats all I would ever ask it to go. Would I rather drive my S Class on a high speed trip? Sure.

I promise you a proper RWD crossover with multi-link suspension and a RWD setup handles sustained 100MPH just fine.

Originally Posted by AJT123
So is going 1MPH over the speed limit.

Whom does it affect? If anything it makes people wish they had it.

In any case, people can think I'm rude but I really don't think anyone thinks anything of it. Others do this all the time, too. All I'm doing is edging over a curb... to make the light.
Sidewalks are for walking, it damages the curb and the sidewalk which wasn't designed to have vehicles drive over it, and it shows an arrogance and self importance that is ugly. I can sit behind somebody turning left until the roadway clears, I am not so important that I need to drive up on a sidewalk to save 25 seconds and neither are you.

Every time you do that somebody who sees you goes "what a jerk" I promise you. "others do this all the time"? Not anywhere I drive.
Old 10-27-23, 04:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

So is going 1MPH over the speed limit.

Whom does it affect? If anything it makes people wish they had it.

In any case, people can think I'm rude but I really don't think anyone thinks anything of it. Others do this all the time, too. All I'm doing is edging over a curb... to make the light.
Aren't you the guy who liked to swerve towards the Cruise Robo-taxis in SF lol?
Old 10-27-23, 04:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sidewalks are for walking, it damages the curb and the sidewalk which wasn't designed to have vehicles drive over it, and it shows an arrogance and self importance that is ugly. I can sit behind somebody turning left until the roadway clears, I am not so important that I need to drive up on a sidewalk to save 25 seconds and neither are you.

Every time you do that somebody who sees you goes "what a jerk" I promise you. "others do this all the time"? Not anywhere I drive.
Agreed on that. I always expect it to be some immature teen when I see someone do that and then am disappointed when it's an adult.
Old 10-27-23, 05:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

T

You're acting like I'm running over the whole sidewalk all the way up to the light or damaging something, or endangering pedestrians. Edging over that small little curb with one tire for literally a second and a half makes me an arrogant and self-important person, ugly person? I think I'm "important"? Dude you are wayyy off. That car in front of me shouldn't even have been there...blocking traffic like idiots pulling out of a shopping center just to block the traffic on the actual road.

Last edited by AJT123; 10-27-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 05:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're acting like I'm running over the whole sidewalk all the way up to the light or damaging something, or endangering pedestrians. Edging over that small little curb with one tire for literally a second and a half makes me an arrogant and self-important person, ugly person? I think I'm "important"? Dude you are wayyy off. That car in front of me shouldn't even have been there...blocking traffic like idiots pulling out of a shopping center just to block the traffic on the actual road.
Its just rude, look at the others who have agreed with me. One person doing something rude and idiotic doesn't mean others need to do other things in response that are the same way.
Old 10-27-23, 05:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Its just rude, look at the others who have agreed with me.
One person... If that fool didn't pull out and block traffic there wouldn't have been a problem. Don't be so self-righteous. You are out of your mind if you call a move like that "idiotic".
Old 10-27-23, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One person... If that fool didn't pull out and block traffic there wouldn't have been a problem. Don't be so self-righteous. You are out of your mind if you call a move like that "idiotic".
Sorry, driving up on the sidewalk is rude, and I guarantee other people think you are rude when you do that...there is no reason to ever drive up on a sidewalk unless there is some kind of an emergency or a disabled car that cant move or you are getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle or something like that.

You asked me why I thought it was rude and I explained to you why.
Old 10-27-23, 05:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Sorry, driving up on the sidewalk is rude, and I guarantee other people think you are rude when you do that...there is no reason to ever drive up on a sidewalk unless there is some kind of an emergency or a disabled car that cant move or you are getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle or something like that.

You asked me why I thought it was rude and I explained to you why.
I didn't say driving up on the sidewalk, is it not clear that is the last thing necessary in the photo? It would be one tire over the curb for about 1.5 seconds. Look at that photo, does it look like I need that whole sidewalk? I would never do that.

If the idiot who CLEARLY pulled out of a shopping center just to block traffic thinks I'm rude, IDC.

Old 10-27-23, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Curb, sidewalk, its just not necessary to ever do that. The person will be turned and out of your way in a few seconds, you can wait. You would need to drive both wheels over the curb and onto the sidewalk to get around that car.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-27-23 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 05:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Curb, sidewalk, its just not necessary to ever do that. The person will be turned and out of your way in a few seconds, you can wait. You would need to drive both wheels over the curb and onto the sidewalk to get around that car.
You weren't there. I missed the light because of that idiot, the traffic didn't move. Like I said that's one of the worst lights in that area, and no, I would need to drive one tire off the curb for about 1.5 seconds.

In any case I'm not the fool who's blocking traffic causing the problem.
Old 10-27-23, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And the light will turn green again. Its minutes we're talking about here. You're not a doctor on your way to transplant a heart under a deadline. You can wait.
Old 10-27-23, 05:40 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Sidewalks are for walking, it damages the curb and the sidewalk which wasn't designed to have vehicles drive over it
he's not driving a cement truck lol i can't see that sidewalk getting noticeably damaged from slowly driving a passenger SUV over it

and fine lets agree that driving over the sidewalk is rude, is that person blocking the lane not also rude?
Old 10-27-23, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
he's not driving a cement truck lol i can't see that sidewalk getting noticeably damaged from slowly driving a passenger SUV over it
Its just abuse of public property

and fine lets agree that driving over the sidewalk is rude, is that person blocking the lane not also rude?
Of course, but being rude in response to someone else being rude is not the way to be. Do yourself a favor and just relax about stuff like that. I was eating lunch today at a restaurant outside since it was such a nice day, and this woman stopped on the street outside the restaurant to let someone out, and the guy behind her just lost his mind honking and yelling and he's visibly pounding his fists and yelling in the car. The woman pulled over a little more and let him go by and she got her elderly mothers walker out of the back.

What did acting that way do for that guy? Nothing but harden his arteries and made a fool of himself in front of everybody watching.
Old 10-27-23, 05:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

And the light will turn green again. Its minutes we're talking about here. You're not a doctor on your way to transplant a heart under a deadline. You can wait.
Then why do you drive 80-85 on your local interstates, or at all? Some would call that reckless and unsafe. And arrogant. And if I can wait you can wait.

I never speed on the interstates, ever.
Old 10-27-23, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then why do you drive 80-85 on your local interstates, or at all? Some would call that reckless and unsafe. And arrogant. And if I can wait you can wait.

I never speed on the interstates, ever.
I drive along with the flow of traffic in a safe and reasonable way. If I am driving 80 on an interstate, the speed limit is 65-70 and driving that slowly would be unsafe. I am never the fastest car on the highway, one of the fastest perhaps but never the fastest. Driving with the flow of traffic increases safety, it doesn't decrease safety. If I were doing 80 and weaving around everybody else doing 60, you would be right.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-27-23 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation