Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 03:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If anybody was wondering what the tires looked like on the cars who drove through the tar on 295...this is what they looked like lol:

I would be temped to throw the whole car away after that.
Old 07-01-22, 04:30 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are these car or motorcycle tires?
Old 07-01-22, 07:31 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

we had a flashback back to the 80s moment today
Nice find!
Love the 80's cars.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If anybody was wondering what the tires looked like on the cars who drove through the tar on 295...this is what they looked like lol:

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hopefully the tires themselves won't be damaged from that excessive amount of tar. I'm not a chemist and don't know all the details, but at least some of the same substances that go into making tar and asphalt also go into making tire-compounds. In fact, scrapped/recycled tires from the landfill sometimes go into the actual production of tar and asphalt.
I think those tires are ruined.
Might get the tar off but the chemicals used might ruin the tires or be so much labor it's not worth it, just a guess.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I would be temped to throw the whole car away after that.
I wonder if insurace would cover it or write the car off if too much damage. hmmm

Originally Posted by Och
Are these car or motorcycle tires?
Kinda look narrow and tall like a motorcycle tire from that camera angle.
I'm not sure either!
Old 07-01-22, 06:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Family member and friends took the Enclave to Tampa and back. Minimally drove around while there. Gas bill close to $300, and that gets 23MPG. Mods please move if this isn't appropriate thread. No politics. It's going to cost us well over $300 to drive to upstate NY and back for the holidays. That's how much a plane ticket is, non holiday at least.

I was thinking of starting a thread asking what specifically some of us are doing to save gas and money. I have a few examples:

1. Trip to Moab postponed indefinitely
2. I still drive for zen a little but I always go park at the lake in the shade now rather than aimlessly drive around
3. Boat is late, I guess we're a couple grand up on gas money we'd have spent otherwise..... But damn it needs to come.
4. I would drive LS over LX for any short to medium interstate trip bc it gets 26HWY vs 20.
5. Now that my back is better, I want my 430 resprayed in the front which will place it in showroom quality condition...the guy that does it (perfect work for $500 under table) is an hour away in the boonies, and I need a ride back which I told my friend he could use my truck to follow. That would be like $100 there and back. Postponed.

What are some of the rest of you doing or not doing?
Old 07-02-22, 10:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Family member and friends took the Enclave to Tampa and back. Minimally drove around while there. Gas bill close to $300, and that gets 23MPG. Mods please move if this isn't appropriate thread. No politics. It's going to cost us well over $300 to drive to upstate NY and back for the holidays. That's how much a plane ticket is, non holiday at least.

I was thinking of starting a thread asking what specifically some of us are doing to save gas and money. I have a few examples:

1. Trip to Moab postponed indefinitely
2. I still drive for zen a little but I always go park at the lake in the shade now rather than aimlessly drive around
3. Boat is late, I guess we're a couple grand up on gas money we'd have spent otherwise..... But damn it needs to come.
4. I would drive LS over LX for any short to medium interstate trip bc it gets 26HWY vs 20.
5. Now that my back is better, I want my 430 resprayed in the front which will place it in showroom quality condition...the guy that does it (perfect work for $500 under table) is an hour away in the boonies, and I need a ride back which I told my friend he could use my truck to follow. That would be like $100 there and back. Postponed.

What are some of the rest of you doing or not doing?
I saw this coming and that's one reason why I have cars now instead of trucks, fleet average mpg is doubled vs 3 years ago so prices are the same for us with no changes needed. Plus it's just nicer to use cars day to day for us

I'm attempting to also refrain from as much high speed driving and acceleration, it hurts my tank average by over 5mpg to the tune of well over 25 down to around 22-24 depending on car. I'm trying to limit myself to only two 100+ runs a drive vs the usual 4-5 and only 3 launches

It would have to hit $15 a gallon for serious changes to happen but if it gets even remotely near that we will have much more pressing issues on hand.
Old 07-02-22, 01:26 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Wow. What condition. Gold is my favourite colour on the LS. As it has the gold badges everywhere.
Old 07-02-22, 03:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
https://youtu.be/STBBYtPeVec

Wow. What condition. Gold is my favourite colour on the LS. As it has the gold badges everywhere.
Gold is dated, emblems at least. But oh yes that's pretty. I just loved the two-tone paint on the old ones.
Old 07-02-22, 07:33 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Happy 4th of July Weekend!

Where is everyone?
What Ya'll up to this holiday...

Old 07-02-22, 08:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Where is everyone?
Happy 4th! I finally caught covid, so I'm paying my dues right now. I guess I'll be watching my neighbors shoot off illegal fireworks Monday. There's always next year...
Old 07-02-22, 08:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Happy 4th! I finally caught covid, so I'm paying my dues right now. I guess I'll be watching my neighbors shoot off illegal fireworks Monday. There's always next year...
Sorry to hear that about covid. Did you get the "bad cold" variety? I had a sniffle and sore throat all week this week and wonder if I had a normal cold or the big "C".

Where is everyone?
Gears and Beers tomorrow in Atlanta. Should be a fun time. Otherwise, shooting off (legal) fireworks on the 4th at a friend's house.
Old 07-02-22, 08:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Sorry to hear that about covid. Did you get the "bad cold" variety? I had a sniffle and sore throat all week this week and wonder if I had a normal cold or the big "C".

Gears and Beers tomorrow in Atlanta. Should be a fun time. Otherwise, shooting off (legal) fireworks on the 4th at a friend's house.
Feels like I have the flu, but lasting longer. Sore throat, fever, aches, runny nose, no appetite. I guess considering the alternatives, I'll take it.
Enjoy those fireworks!
Old 07-02-22, 08:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
That sounds like fun.
Is there a race going on in Atlanta?

Haven't drank anything in a few years so I might pick up some cold Bud Light and watch some tractor pulling or some drag racing on Youtube this weekend just for fun.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7;11319317[i
]Feels like I have the flu, but lasting longer. Sore throat, fever, aches, runny nose, no appetite. I guess considering the alternatives, I'll take it.
Enjoy those fireworks![/i]
I hope you feel better and at least get to rest up and have some fun!
Old 07-02-22, 11:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Where is everyone?
Happy 4th to you as well!

Spent the first half of my day shooting/drilling and did a bit of full auto at the end in the spirit of the 4th and all. Let two people have their first goes at a FA gun.

Second half was spent with my mechanic mentors place watching his yearly fireworks show. Had about 50 people in attendance and the firepower level is insane and technically over the amount a license is required.

Pictures don't really do it justice, those bursts are over 200ft wide, cost this year was like 9k
Old 07-03-22, 06:44 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Where is everyone?
Low key. We usually just pick up a bunch of Roman candles and shoot them off the back porch, we went to the fireworks store yesterday. Roman candles are still fun and they don't make loud noises that scare the pets.

Not going anywhere, too many drunks on the road. If a friend or two wants to come over, great.

Hope everyone has a fun holiday!

People start here early. Two nights ago someone in the country club neighborhood across a few roads with mansions they were being set off like crazy. Just, not where I'd expect it to be happening is all. My spouse had also never played with fireworks before moving here years and years ago....welcome to the South, dear.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Hope you feel better!

Hope everyone has a nice July 4!
Old 07-04-22, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Just got back from WV, had a great weekend. Went out and bought $2,000 worth of fireworks and set them off, entertained the whole neighborhood!

Have to get the bugs knocked off the Mercedes tomorrow. The new tires did great...

Trip back:

Whole trip:

Car full of fireworks!

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-04-22 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation