Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 10:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You will love it!
I'm sure I will!

I have yet to try something you suggest that I haven't liked/found very much up to task. The wheel dressing you suggested is excellent, I tried it out this last wash and it didn't sling anything at 130mph on any of the cars. That's well above what I expected, I'm still shocked since I've never had anything not throw at least something on the panels at those speeds.
Old 07-06-22, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Yeah Perl is a great wheel dressing...
Old 07-06-22, 07:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Bear in mind he's a mechanic by trade.

And...LS need brakes way more than 50-100k miles lol. Try 30k.
My 430 was on original rotors until 125kish.

I had them resurfaced a few times, but finally replaced them all (everything, rotors pads etc.) at around that mileage.

I don't put a lot of mileage on my car, but some, and this was over 5 years ago I replaced everything. Haven't needed any brake service since. They still feel great.
Old 07-06-22, 07:42 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I meant to post this a very long time ago. Here are the aftermarket rotors the previous owner put on my truck. Almost a year and a half later they’re still great. Haven’t had to touch anything. I figured eating through brakes is just the nature of the beast in a 6200lb truck. Pads still have more than plenty of life left. I wasn’t crazy about aftermarket anything but these are some great brakes. Zero brake dust issues, drilled and slotted.

Old 07-06-22, 08:14 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Hi everyone, working and lurking and seeing what's up.

On our cars(Lexus) don't forget new shims when installing brake pads!
For the RX330 the shims have a rubber coating on one side and trying to reuse the old ones is guaranteed embarassing screetching and squeeling.

Ask me how I know... lolol

Last edited by Margate330; 07-06-22 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 08:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I meant to post this a very long time ago. Here are the aftermarket rotors the previous owner put on my truck. Almost a year and a half later they’re still great. Haven’t had to touch anything. I figured eating through brakes is just the nature of the beast in a 6200lb truck. Pads still have more than plenty of life left. I wasn’t crazy about aftermarket anything but these are some great brakes. Zero brake dust issues, drilled and slotted.
Mine were good for a while, but with driving less due to WFH, I think I started to get some rust/pad material buildup on the edge of the slots. Then when the pads wore to the point that the leading edge chamfer (ramp) was gone, they started shuddering horribly, with well over 50% pad life still remaining. I did try putting a fresh chamfer on the pads with a die grinder, and smoothing the edges of the slots with a media wheel. That improved the situation for a few weeks, but it started to come back and I eventually just replaced both pads and rotors. It's wonderful again, and I won't be putting slotted rotors back on my car.
Old 07-06-22, 10:14 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Mine were good for a while, but with driving less due to WFH, I think I started to get some rust/pad material buildup on the edge of the slots. Then when the pads wore to the point that the leading edge chamfer (ramp) was gone, they started shuddering horribly, with well over 50% pad life still remaining. I did try putting a fresh chamfer on the pads with a die grinder, and smoothing the edges of the slots with a media wheel. That improved the situation for a few weeks, but it started to come back and I eventually just replaced both pads and rotors. It's wonderful again, and I won't be putting slotted rotors back on my car.
Sorry to hear that! Are you talking about an LX too? ICR if you had one or not. I didn't like them at all (I'm not crazy about aftermarket stuff in general) and told my buddy that who sold it to me, and he was just like "shut the F up*, those are great brakes." And they have proven themselves. He was right. I think they are StopTech but not sure.
Old 07-06-22, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Almost a year, but how many miles?
Old 07-06-22, 11:25 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that! Are you talking about an LX too? ICR if you had one or not. I didn't like them at all (I'm not crazy about aftermarket stuff in general) and told my buddy that who sold it to me, and he was just like "shut the F up*, those are great brakes." And they have proven themselves. He was right. I think they are StopTech but not sure.
No, this is on the 335d in my sig, no LX in my stable. They were ECS Tuning Geomet-coated rotors, so fairly good quality. Lots of people use them successfully, I honestly think I would have been fine if I had continued driving it every day.
Old 07-06-22, 01:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Those are very likely powerstop Z36 brakes based on the rotor design, they are very effective and will not dust or fade even to the point you boil Dot3 fluid. Use dot 5.1 to really take advantage of them
Old 07-06-22, 01:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

No, this is on the 335d in my sig, no LX in my stable. They were ECS Tuning Geomet-coated rotors, so fairly good quality. Lots of people use them successfully, I honestly think I would have been fine if I had continued driving it every day.
If it sits for a while outside you need to take it up to 100 and slam the brake to clear them off, it will get everything clear again and wipe deposits off.
Old 07-06-22, 01:23 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Striker223
If it sits for a while outside you need to take it up to 100 and slam the brake to clear them off, it will get everything clear again and wipe deposits off.
Tried that, didn't work unfortunately. Was terrifying though, with the front end shaking like it was going to fall apart.
Old 07-06-22, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

With some rotors, that's also a good way to get them warped and out-of-round....sudden applications at high speed causing a lot of heat buildup very quickly, in a couple of seconds. That can mean either new rotors or a trip to the brake shop to get them turned, if there is enough metal left on them to do that safely.

That applies to steel rotors, of course.....ceramic rotors can usually take much more abuse without warping.
Old 07-06-22, 02:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Almost a year, but how many miles?
Over a year. Only about 7k or 8k. I think he did all that fairly recently before I bought it. No change in feel, never any brake dust which I didn't even think of until now.

Those are very likely powerstop Z36 brakes based on the rotor design, they are very effective and will not dust or fade even to the point you boil Dot3 fluid. Use dot 5.1 to really take advantage of them
Cool, they look great. I imagine replacing pads eventually but the rotors I'm sure are good for many, many thousands of miles.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With some rotors, that's also a good way to get them warped and out-of-round....sudden applications at high speed causing a lot of heat buildup very quickly, in a couple of seconds. That can mean either new rotors or a trip to the brake shop to get them turned, if there is enough metal left on them to do that safely.

That applies to steel rotors, of course.....ceramic rotors can usually take much more abuse without warping.
Unless an owner really, truly needs them I would advise them to skip this option. $10,000 brake changes are the norm with these, unless things have changed over the past few years.

Didn't the BMW OEM brakes feel good?
Old 07-06-22, 02:28 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Didn't the BMW OEM brakes feel good?
They were quite good. But they wore out, I replaced them, and I rarely use OE when OE+ or OEM parts are available. In this case, the HPS 5.0 pads were actually a significant improvement over OE, better bite and FAR less dust. I would have bought them again if FCP Euro carried them (lifetime replacement FTW!). I've never bought an OE rotor in my life and probably never will--almost invariably they're uncoated and rust horribly. I liked the look of the drilled/slotted rotors, and they worked great for a few years, probably would have gone the distance had I not stopped commuting. I used the solid version of the same ECS rotors on my prior BMW, and they were great all the way until the end.

The Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads that are on there now are fabulous, and if I ever have issues with them (or when they wear out), they'll get replaced for free.

Ironically, when I did the brakes on the Q7 (which also got Zimmerman rotors), I actually chose what are listed as the OE pads, manufactured by Textar. But the factory pads I took off were stamped Akebono. I absolutely would have bought Akebono-branded pads had they been available, but the only ones listed were the wrong size. The Textars work great, but they dust like a MF. When they come due again, I'll probably pay the (currently) $100 incremental cost difference to get the VWAG-labeled Akebonos instead. Then I'll be running the exact same brake setup on both cars.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation