Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 05:49 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I also was laughing at the fact that the movie editors used a V8 audio track for it.
​
Cars suck so badly now that even movies are dubbing in better engine sounds.

I've noticed that lately. I was watching this really weird pretty new movie with Colin Farrel where he's a surgeon, his new C300 started up with that classic German starter sound. No reason to dub anything as the car was sitting parked in a parking garage. Everything sounds like a baby sneezing starting up these days.
Old 11-21-23, 05:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I've noticed that lately. I was watching this really weird pretty new movie with Colin Farrel where he's a surgeon, his new C300 started up with that classic German starter sound. No reason to dub anything as the car was sitting in a parked parking garage. Everything sounds like a baby sneezing starting up these days.
what? Are you serious?
Old 11-21-23, 05:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
what? Are you serious?
Yes I forget the movie but it was really weird... He played a surgeon.
Old 11-21-23, 06:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't put too much stock in movies dubbing over sounds. They always use generic, old school V8 noises and cheap 90's alarm noises when a car is unlocked or locked. They have no intent on reflecting modern car noises.
Old 11-21-23, 07:04 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I wouldn't put too much stock in movies dubbing over sounds. They always use generic, old school V8 noises and cheap 90's alarm noises when a car is unlocked or locked. They have no intent on reflecting modern car noises.
You're not 100% wrong IMO but I really didn't see the need here. There was already a boom mic there because there was dialog as he was getting into the car.
Old 11-21-23, 07:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You're not 100% wrong IMO but I really didn't see the need here. There was already a boom mic there because there was dialog as he was getting into the car.
I value authenticity. A good movie will use the proper real sound. Sad there are no more V8s. They sound so good. Especially the UZ motors

can you imagine new cars with that stop start nonsense? They have to incorporate that noise into the whole sound mix. Haha

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-21-23 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-21-23, 08:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I saw the new Tacoma at the auto show and really, really liked it. They also had a current gen, which I owned and loved, and it really looked outdated compared to the new one.
Old 11-21-23, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Hollywood has been gross for decades now. I just got back from LA this morning, I absolutely love it there. I've dreamed of having a nice house in the Hancock Park neighborhood for several years.
why do you absolutely love LA? and what's appealing about that particular neighborhood? i'm sure it's $$$$$$

Even my V8 F-150 will do about 650-700 on a full tank on the highway.
how many gallons is that, and premium or regular?

that's happened forever.

ha, so true. always chuckle at the 'bleep bleep' when they lock a car. and notice how many cars have squeaky brake sounds so you know they're coming to a stop? or squeal on even the most gentle of curves or a lane change?

I value authenticity. A good movie will use the proper real sound.
except none of them do.

Sad there are no more V8s. They sound so good. Especially the UZ motors
well i still have my lc. but i removed the 'sound pipe' that sends 'extra' engine sound into the cabin when getting on it. it was too much.
Old 11-21-23, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

speaking of cars... my neighbor had an s550 that was totalled when someone went in the back of him. he couldn't find another awd (4matic) one so he got an s550 rwd. he then recently gave away his e class that had 350k mi. on it to a relative to help them out, and he picked up an s560 4matic to replace it! he always buys used and keeps forever. here's the twins i think both of these have over 100k mi. and he doesn't have any major issues with them.

Old 11-21-23, 10:59 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

how many gallons is that, and premium or regular?
36 gallon tank, regular unleaded.

that's happened forever.
Yep. Also something I've noticed is the use of gas engine sounds on diesel trucks and vise versa. It's pretty bad in some episodes of Yellowstone.

ha, so true. always chuckle at the 'bleep bleep' when they lock a car. and notice how many cars have squeaky brake sounds so you know they're coming to a stop? or squeal on even the most gentle of curves or a lane change?
Don't forget every car issue being a boiled over radiator and some knocking.
Old 11-21-23, 11:01 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I value authenticity. A good movie will use the proper real sound. Sad there are no more V8s. They sound so good. Especially the UZ motors

can you imagine new cars with that stop start nonsense? They have to incorporate that noise into the whole sound mix. Haha
IDK, maybe the 2UZ sounds better, but the 1UZ is the blandest sounding V8 engine ever made IMO. It was built to keep the LS400 insanely quiet and smooth. One of my biggest laments when I owned mine was that it just didn't have that throaty V8 growl.
Old 11-21-23, 11:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Yep. Also something I've noticed is the use of gas engine sounds on diesel trucks and vise versa. It's pretty bad in some episodes of Yellowstone.
My favorite is still T2, when a spark touches leaking diesel fuel and causes a tow truck to explode in a massive fireball.
Old 11-21-23, 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I saw the new Tacoma at the auto show and really, really liked it. They also had a current gen, which I owned and loved, and it really looked outdated compared to the new one.
I can’t wait till I see it. I like how they keep it close to the outgoing model but still a really nice redesign. They did a good with the power train hybrids and optional full time 4WD on the limited puts it over the top for me. I kinda wish they made a 4WD version of the access cab model. I think the new Toyota Tacoma will be great
Old 11-21-23, 11:42 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

IDK, maybe the 2UZ sounds better, but the 1UZ is the blandest sounding V8 engine ever made IMO. It was built to keep the LS400 insanely quiet and smooth. One of my biggest laments when I owned mine was that it just didn't have that throaty V8 growl.
i'll try to remain impartial here lol but you may have an argument if you're talking about the 1UZ / 3UZ when stock and made to be about as quiet as possible, but it doesn't take much to let some great noises out (the JBrady intake for instance lol)

or this Doran JE4 that i happened to just discover a few days ago that uses a 3UZ

Old 11-21-23, 12:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

why do you absolutely love LA? and what's appealing about that particular neighborhood? i'm sure it's $$$$$$
From a car perspective:
-Car culture is on another tier from any other city I can think of
-There's a car community of everyone and large amount of rare cars that you will see on a regular basis.
-There's also specialty shops like Singer that are local that people from all over the world send their vehicles to.
-Incredible driving roads if you get out early enough (and know about the secret ones).

On top of that, you have a wealth of diversity, beautiful views in many neighborhoods, perfect weather, and endless amount of great food to try, and all of the benefits that come with being an international hub of entertainment. There's plenty of downsides to go along with the positives of course, but if I could maintain my career there I would. I'm jealous of my friends there much of the time.

I favor Hancock Park because it is a perfectly preserved collection of 1920s-era beautiful, large homes with a price tag to match.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation