Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 12:03 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
speaking of cars... my neighbor had an s550 that was totalled when someone went in the back of him. he couldn't find another awd (4matic) one so he got an s550 rwd. he then recently gave away his e class that had 350k mi. on it to a relative to help them out, and he picked up an s560 4matic to replace it! he always buys used and keeps forever. here's the twins i think both of these have over 100k mi. and he doesn't have any major issues with them.

I love people like this. They know what they want.
Old 11-21-23, 12:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Movies always dub over sounds like that. Nothing from the ambient sound around the scene is used, ambient sounds are always added back in during post production.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
speaking of cars... my neighbor had an s550 that was totalled when someone went in the back of him. he couldn't find another awd (4matic) one so he got an s550 rwd. he then recently gave away his e class that had 350k mi. on it to a relative to help them out, and he picked up an s560 4matic to replace it! he always buys used and keeps forever. here's the twins i think both of these have over 100k mi. and he doesn't have any major issues with them.
He has good taste! lol. Yeah they are really reliable...
Old 11-21-23, 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

The X Files is a PERFECT example of adding in squealing brakes as they park lol.
Old 11-21-23, 12:55 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Another car thing in movies that drive me crazy is the driving scenes.

In one scene the car is heading south on the FDR drive and the next scene it’s coming into Manhattan on the George Washington Bridge from NJ. The next turn, the cars is 5 miles from where it was the last scene and so on. When you’re familiar with the areas, you’re like whaaaat?

I just thought of another one. The missing drivelines in scenes where cars go airborne and flip around in the air. Lol. I know why but when you notice it, you can’t unsee it.
Old 11-21-23, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Movies always dub over sounds like that. Nothing from the ambient sound around the scene is used, ambient sounds are always added back in during post production..
A good movie production would use authentic sounds. If the vision of the director was to show off in a scene the engine sounds of a particular car, then a well thought out production would record the real sounds, they would be recorded in the field/studio without the actors and the just the sounds effects crew. They would of course add it later during post production like you said. It would be a tragedy, if the post production sound team used a stock sound recording. (Which is definitely the case in many films)

I believe the motorcycles from Terminator 2 are not the true authentic sounds of the bikes depicted. They are motorcycle recordings, but they are not at the actual bikes in the picture, I believe they were substituted with a different bike.

I wonder how they captured the sound for the LFA, or if it’s actually genuine sound.

saw the prestige Lexus today. Originally from Winnipeg.

Also sat in the new TX. It’s very nice inside. I liked it. All the soft touch materials are nice to touch. I don’t really have anything to complain about.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-22-23 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-22-23, 08:12 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Another car thing in movies that drive me crazy is the driving scenes.
Nobody answered this in Quora... This is a biggie.

Why in the HELL are the steering wheels so obviously crooked (turning positions) all the time when they're on a trailer? It's soooo obvious. The car isn't going anywhere.
Old 11-22-23, 08:17 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

Why in the HELL are the steering wheels so obviously crooked (turning positions) all the time when they're on a trailer? It's soooo obvious. The car isn't going anywhere.
lmaoo something like this you mean?

Old 11-22-23, 08:54 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder how they captured the sound for the LFA, or if it’s actually genuine sound.
going off the clip that sounds like the real LFA, also Han has been my fav character in that franchise ever since Tokyo Drift so good choice of video lol

and that LS 400 is a BEAUTY thanks for sharing!
Old 11-22-23, 10:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lmaoo something like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNpMC4FslNk
Well that's obvious too, yeah. And supposed to be funny. I've mocked that a million times.

But I'm talking about the wheel being turned sideways...it drives me crazy and is so obvious...

In other news, this is crazy..... Started our 11:30 drive up to upstate NY this morning, spouse not feeling hot. We stopped just past the Kentucky border at a Walmart for a Covid-test and it was +. Soooooo the inlaws aren't in great health, we turned right around and came home. Sucks!

I can't even imagine if we waited until Cleveland or something and had to turn back, hours away (Cleveland is 8 hours). Glad we stopped when we did.

Happy and safe travels everyone, guarantee I'm the only member this happens to...we'll see.

(Shhhh.... I'm secretly happy to be staying here and just laying around..)

Last edited by AJT123; 11-22-23 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-22-23, 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well that's obvious too, yeah. And supposed to be funny. I've mocked that a million times.

But I'm talking about the wheel being turned sideways...it drives me crazy and is so obvious...

In other news, this is crazy..... Started our 11:30 drive up to upstate NY this morning, spouse not feeling hot. We stopped just past the Kentucky border at a Walmart for a Covid-test and it was +. Soooooo the inlaws aren't in great health, we turned right around and came home. Sucks!

I can't even imagine if we waited until Cleveland or something and had to turn back, hours away (Cleveland is 8 hours). Glad we stopped when we did.

Happy and safe travels everyone, guarantee I'm the only member this happens to...we'll see.

(Shhhh.... I'm secretly happy to be staying here and just laying around..)
better be safe than sorry.
Old 11-22-23, 05:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

better be safe than sorry.
Yep. In laws aren’t in the best health. So glad we didn’t make it
far before turning back.

I’m SHOCKED I never got it. I’ve had probably 30 back doctors appointments since 2020 and been laid up in the hospital 3 times from back surgeries.

My dad had it a couple weeks ago; his doc said to isolate for 5 days. Guess that’s what we will do.
Old 11-22-23, 05:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yep. In laws aren’t in the best health. So glad we didn’t make it
far.

I’m SHOCKED I never got it. I’ve had probably 30 back doctors appointments since 2020 and been laid up in the hospital 3 times from back surgeries.
… no explanation needed my friend.

Something I have never noticed

considering Saab was making 4 cylinder turbos back in the day, they’d probably doing really well in the modern era. Saw this mint condition Saab today.

‘saw this A8. Awful colour IMO.

and that front end overhang

saw this today. My money is on the Tundra.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-22-23 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-22-23, 07:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Oh come on. It's not that much of an overhang, put it right next to a "normal" RWD type and it's barely worth a comment. The D2/3 yeah, the D4 really pushed the wheels forward
Old 11-22-23, 07:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Oh come on. It's not that much of an overhang, put it right next to a "normal" RWD type and it's barely worth a comment. The D2/3 yeah, the D4 really pushed the wheels forward
Your car looks mint Stiker.
is that the V12 sitting there?

Originally Posted by 300logan
Recently got into a car accident with my 1995 Sc300 5spd manual.
Welcome to Club Lexus and your 1st post!

I think you may get more help in the SC forums.
Old 11-22-23, 09:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

… no explanation needed my friend.

Something I have never noticed

considering Saab was making 4 cylinder turbos back in the day, they’d probably doing really well in the modern era. Saw this mint condition Saab today.

‘saw this A8. Awful colour IMO.

and that front end overhang

saw this today. My money is on the Tundra.

Damnit, I had never noticed that and now I can't unsee it.

Gonna get my popcorn ready in case it is the Tundra getting recalled

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation