Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-23, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yet all the other cars in the segment which are RWD have plenty of room...

Has nothing to do with the XJ8 being RWD.

That's why I said, in my last post, all else equal. But, aside from that, it is an accepted design-fact in the auto industry that RWD is usually not as spec-efficient inside as FWD. RWD requires a transmission tunnel in the floor of the rear seat, a longitudinal-mount engine/transmission that sticks back further forward the cabin than a transverse FWD layout, and, often a windshield somewhat further back.
Old 11-29-23, 10:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
and a big reason it was so expensive in the first place was the LS 400! when that first came out in 1989 mercedes was basically caught with its pants down and had to rush to add extra features, ultimately resulting in delays and budget overruns

unfortunately i think the W220 suffered as a result of them trying to "undo" their financial setbacks and excess of the W140... eventually the W220 got better and was the first platform to get the V8 Kompressor and V12 Biturbo engines as well as ABC suspension (so for that i appreciate it lol) but it was never quite the tank its predecessor was
Everything suffered that debuted after 1995. McKinsey & Co. had been brought in soon after the W140 debuted to cut 15% of costs by 1995, then Jurgen Schrempp took over and furthered cost cutting efforts across the line.

I really wish the W140 and C140 didn't have their roofline heightened during the design process. Bruno Sacco's original design looked much better and is a huge reason the W140/C140 look just a tad goofy to me these days.
Old 11-29-23, 10:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why I said, in my last post, all else equal. But, aside from that, it is an accepted design-fact in the auto industry that RWD is usually not as spec-efficient inside as FWD. RWD requires a transmission tunnel in the floor of the rear seat, a longitudinal-mount engine/transmission that sticks back further forward the cabin than a transverse FWD layout, and, often a windshield somewhat further back.
I'm willing to bet there isn't a single person in this forum that isn't aware of that lol.
Old 11-29-23, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm willing to bet there isn't a single person in this forum that isn't aware of that lol.
yeah, exactly lol
Old 11-29-23, 12:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

https://slate.com/business/2023/11/b...d-villani.html

This slate writer has no idea how transmissions work and he's determined to make it our problem.

Why would an automaker manufacture a car with so much engine power that it requires an eight-speed transmission?
What a weird way to tell the world you had a humiliation kink.

Old 11-29-23, 12:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

That's a trade-off most of us on this forum are willing to make for a car that's more engaging to drive.

If i need more room for rear passengers, I just take my truck which doesn't have a driveline tunnel at all in the back seat area. 3 adults can ride comfortably back there.

In my auto history, I've only owned one FWD vehicle. I'm not eager to buy another one.

Old 11-29-23, 12:30 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
That's a trade-off most of us on this forum are willing to make for a car that's more engaging to drive.
In my auto history, I've only owned one FWD vehicle. I'm not eager to buy another one.
Agreed. I've never owned one, and never will.
Old 11-29-23, 01:12 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

This slate writer has no idea how transmissions work and he's determined to make it our problem.
the more i read, the less i care for the author... i mean what's his point, why bother living it up when you're just gonna die eventually anyway?

also i was with you on no FWD cars for me, until i rented that renault clio in le mans! in a small, lightweight, manual hatchback it makes sense... that car wasn't particularly powerful (150hp or so) but it also only weighed about 2,400 lbs so it felt "zippy" and nimble and very appropriate for getting around a small town
Old 11-29-23, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If i need more room for rear passengers, I just take my truck which doesn't have a driveline tunnel at all in the back seat area. 3 adults can ride comfortably back there.

Oh, I'm not questioning that. I respect your views, and your wishes....and it's your money to spend as you wish. But, yes, there are some tradeoffs.

Myself.....I gave up on RWD many years ago, mostly because of winter traction. Snow tires and electronic traction-aids for RWD help, but there is still nothing like having the weight of the engine/transmsison over the drive-wheels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-23 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-29-23, 02:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

RWD so much better. Even in a grandpa car like the LS you can tell the superiority of a RWD setup. I like the car being pushed rather than pulled.
Old 11-29-23, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I'm not questioning that. I respect your views, and your wishes....and it's your money to spend as you wish. But, yes, there are some tradeoffs.

Myself.....I gave up on RWD many years ago, mostly because of winter traction. Snow tires and electronic traction-aids for RWD help, but there is still nothing like having the weight of the engine/transmsison over the drive-wheels.
Actually FWD is the least safe layout you can have in winter weather. You think its better because its easier to get going from a stop, but in all other aspects its inferior. RWD on winter tires is 100% superior.
Old 11-29-23, 04:15 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lol oh yea bri'ish innit...

I must say I love this. As an American writing for international audiences, I have to balance the rules and the English treat punctuation around quotation marks differently, so I try not to ever use quotation marks which are usually not necessary anyway. I do say lorry, lift, block of flats, motorway, and queue frequently and I do occasionally refer to people as you lot. Once I even told a guy to sod off. But, cars though, so how about the Mercury Merkur XR4ti?
Old 11-29-23, 04:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Actually FWD is the least safe layout you can have in winter weather. You think its better because its easier to get going from a stop, but in all other aspects its inferior. RWD on winter tires is 100% superior.
What about FWD on winter tires though?

I don't care for FWD either but it has massive weight over the wheels which gives it an advantage from the get go.

LS430 is a nightmare even in the rain the rear is so light.... But I wouldn't trade it for FWD, hell no.
Old 11-29-23, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
What about FWD on winter tires though?

I don't care for FWD either but it has massive weight over the wheels which gives it an advantage from the get go.

LS430 is a nightmare even in the rain the rear is so light.... But I wouldn't trade it for FWD, hell no.
The issue with FWD is that when you lose the ability to steer, you also lose the ability to apply power, and vice versa. The issue is having the drive and steering wheels be the same wheels. LS430 is not light in the rear, the weight distribution is pretty close to 50/50, 53/47

Modern skid and traction control make a huge difference, the difference between my RWD LS460L and my RWD LS430 and LS400 in the snow was astonishing.
Old 11-29-23, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Actually FWD is the least safe layout you can have in winter weather. You think its better because it's easier to get going from a stop, but in all other aspects its inferior.
With my driving style, I consider that the most important thing. I drive very gently in the snow, and the better and more even handling-balance with RWD is not an issue with me.

AWD, of course, is probably the best way to go in the winter....that's one reason why Subarus have become so hugely popular, although, of course, the last couple of winters here in the D.C. area have been been very mild, with almost no snow.

RWD on winter tires is 100% superior.

Maybe for some people...not for the majority of drivers.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation